Canada-Land is Perfect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: question

planet10 said:

Quite a few Quebecers here.

dave

maybe the problem is me. I haven't been tinkering (and on this site) enough... :bawling: good to know there are some others near me here.

as for living here, gotta say, aside from a few stellar lovsl examples, the beer sucks (and is way overpriced)

regarding the border, I've had almost uniformly unwelcoming yet civil encounters in both directions. The most amusing was they guy who was convinced I was smuggling in weed (to the US). He asked me at least 6 times if I had any. :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: question

leadbelly said:

You have got to get out more. Quebec has one of the highest concentrations of microbreweries in NA. You're right about the price though, the taxes there are just ridiculous.

There are still a few with good reps I have to check out, notably dieu du ciel in montreal. In the above, I was partly referring to bottled beer from local microbrews that are somewhat widely available. some of the belgian ales are certainly world class. perhaps it's unfortunate that I tend to favor california pale ale or some of the more intense english pale ales, rather than the flavorless ales they seem to like here... if you know of any, give me a shout. Or a decent hefeweizen. or porter. or a good local pilsner. blanche (translated from the french as 'flavorless' :D ) seems to be the most popular beer here. I've even had some flavorless beer from local homebrewers. I didn't know that was possible, but it seems to be the trend here so I got disheartened. It isn't the variety i have a problem with - I've had some good blanches - i even enjoy hoegaarden (not local), but the local ones just don't do it right...

I've lived in oregon and upstate ny, where I was spoiled with some excellent (and cheap!) beer. I brew beer myself and can not figure why they make either overly sweet underhopped ales or super dry flavorless ales. That said, I did have a decent cask IPA and some crazy scotch ales. I'm not an expert on scotch ales, but the flavor profile seems to vary widely wherever I try them. Anyhow of the local ones I've had, I can't say i'd want to drink them often--perhaps the syrupy maltiness isn't my style---but they were definitely interesting. The belgians are generally balanced perfectly I love fin du monde (but again most of the local belgians tend to have a similar taste profile imo)

ok, fine. i'll get out more. :) perhaps I was discouraged with my initial impression. and i have a new gf who doesn't like beer, so going to a microbrew hasn't been the first choice. but that'll change now :D

so maybe I'll refine my statement. I haven't found a beer that's relatively easily accessible (i don't have to drive across the city) that I want to drink regularly, and I'm frustrated with the lack of, ahem, american style ales.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
leadbelly said:
Banff is about 1.5 hr from Calgary.

Is that counting driving across Calgary, or including waiting for the mountain sheep to cross the road.

Here are some visitors to our backyard from earlier today.

dave

Attachments

• raccoon-pr.jpg
    raccoon-pr.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 50
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.