Canada-Land is Perfect

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
spuds don't do well up there!

where did you live lately? Up here close the Alcan i grow my own spuds...

Geez A-K, do you really need to air that much laundry?

Ah, the good old argument returns - was I ever waiting for that one, Cal.
But you know - if you as a citizen can't stand a bit of riling - maybe its you who should look for a country where patriotism is mandatory..there are a few choices...

audio-kraut said:

where did you live lately? Up here close the Alcan i grow my own spuds...

Ah, the good old argument returns - was I ever waiting for that one, Cal.
But you know - if you as a citizen can't stand a bit of riling - maybe its you who should look for a country where patriotism is mandatory..there are a few choices...
Fraser Lake, Hwy 16 (Yellowhead) West. 42 frost free days avg!! (I know, I know, it's not the "north", but--)
Don

42 frost free days avg!! (I know, I know, it's not the "north", but-

I guess that deserves an honorary "north".

Our city advertises 115 frost free days...I guess that is pure propaganda to entice the tourists.

OTOH - I have experienced snow at any month of the year up here.
Until the year 1999, one day in July, it was said there could be snow any month, except that one...oh, how wrong.

Beans, peas...regular victims of frost, so strike those off the list.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
MJL21193 said:
How About Some Pretty Canadian Females!

Wow! They have girls up there too? It is perfect. (tho they are a bit pale....)

Gotta agree with Sy on the coffee. When I left the States in 1980 there was hardly a decent cup to be found (donkey ****). When I came back in the 90s it was getting much better already. Now it's amazing. Rare to find coffee that good elswhere - except central America.

Cal - because I am proud to live here, those things I mentioned, and a few other quibbles, get on my nerves and drive me nuts - they just are unnecessary and give the country a bad name.

I have been living here for 30 years, and I after my last visit to Germany - there is no country I rather live and work in.

Having raised two children here, I am still amazed at the level of opportunities - even at present, when compared to a highly industrialized and over engineered country like Germany - that present themselves to somebody with drive and guts.

I found Canadians extremely welcoming, helpful in the process of integration and accepting of differences.
Nobody I have found who tries to tell me that to be Canadian you have to behave in a certain way, praise the flag loudly, think that all others not living here ate unfortunate idiots who do not deserve better and that overall Canada is the only civilized place and all other countries have to follow its example or be invaded.

That is why I am sensitive to any "hoorrah patriotism" that unfortunately seems to be a requirement for the citizens of a neighbouring country - and I have encountered exactly that kind of tourist here too many times too often - either most of them are a certain kind self selected to come for a visit, to bring the "good news" of "americanism", or they really represent a sample of the average rather unlikeable American.
Present company excepted.

I have never visited the US, and after the 9/11 crackdown at the entry points hearing horror stories related first by hand friends - both European and Canadian - of the way they were treated by customs personnel, I feel no desire to ever visit there.
Having exited and entered Canad just lately again, I have to praise our officials professionalism, courtesy and efficiency.

Yes, Canada is one fine country to live in - warts and all.

audio-kraut said:

That is why I am sensitive to any "hoorrah patriotism" that unfortunately seems to be a requirement for the citizens of a neighbouring country - and I have encountered exactly that kind of tourist here too many times too often - either most of them are a certain kind self selected to come for a visit, to bring the "good news" of "americanism", or they really represent a sample of the average rather unlikeable American.
Present company excepted.

I have never visited the US, and after the 9/11 crackdown at the entry points hearing horror stories related first by hand friends - both European and Canadian - of the way they were treated by customs personnel, I feel no desire to ever visit there.
Having exited and entered Canad just lately again, I have to praise our officials professionalism, courtesy and efficiency.

Yes, Canada is one fine country to live in - warts and all.

Since you brought it up, I'll have to differ with your characterization of our respective countries. I happen to be a patriotic citizen of the US and while I don't always agree with various aspects or programs that various administrations have put forth, I'm still allowed to say so, just as you are in your Country. But for me to criticize or make sweeping generalizations about your Government, people or way of life would be, not only rude, but would violate certain principles that I hold, and which are for that matter, shared by many of Americans.

Your characterization of the Customs Officials seems to go both ways, and I can tell you this from personal experience, not hearsay. Having been ordered to stand in front of my car for 2.5 hours while they went through and removed every single thing in the car, they finally found the evidence they had been seeking.

"Mr. Olson, what exactly is this thing?"

"Officer, that's what is commonly referred to as a soldering gun"

"Is it loaded and can it be fired?"

"Officer, I have to qualify my previous statement by stating that the technical term or name for that tool is actually a soldering pencil."

Mr. Olson, what do you intend on doing with this, while you're in Canada?"

"Officer, I don't expect to need it, however if a wire should break, or become loose in the equipment that you've already examined, it would allow me to repair it."

"Mr. Olson, I need to have this examined by my Superiors, would you like to accompany me?"

" Actually, I'd like to sit down if that's OK."

He checked with whomever, returned and handed over my disguised Thermonuclear device (I'm not sure he was convinced that it wasn't) and I was finally allowed to head for my destination.

Finally you state:

"Yes, Canada is one fine country to live in - warts and all."

I completely agree with the first part of your statement, and it's not my place to comment on the second.

I would hope that you will permit me to have similar feelings about my Country.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah but Terry - remember when you, Richard and I were coming back into the US? The customs officer looked in the window of your car at the 3 of us - and all the audio junk - and she said "Oh, that's a scary car."

Well we thought we were in for the Full Monty, for sure. Wouldn't blame them. Seeing the 3 of use together is enough to put the fear of God into anyone. But no. They let us right thru. Never was sure if the US was glad to have us back, or Canada glad to get rid of us.

:scratch:

panomaniac said:
Yeah but Terry - remember when you, Richard and I were coming back into the US? The customs officer looked in the window of your car at the 3 of us - and all the audio junk - and she said "Oh, that's a scary car."

Well we thought we were in for the Full Monty, for sure. Wouldn't blame them. Seeing the 3 of use together is enough to put the fear of God into anyone. But no. They let us right thru. Never was sure if the US was glad to have us back, or Canada glad to get rid of us.

:scratch:

Mike,

I hadn't thought of that before, but now you mention it....

Since then, everytime I drive that car, I've noticed black helicopters flying nearby.
:xeye:

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:

Since you brought it up, I'll have to differ with your characterization of our respective countries. I happen to be a patriotic citizen of the US and while I don't always agree with various aspects or programs that various administrations have put forth, I'm still allowed to say so, just as you are in your Country. But for me to criticize or make sweeping generalizations about your Government, people or way of life would be, not only rude, but would violate certain principles that I hold, and which are for that matter, shared by many of Americans.

Your characterization of the Customs Officials seems to go both ways, and I can tell you this from personal experience, not hearsay. Having been ordered to stand in front of my car for 2.5 hours while they went through and removed every single thing in the car, they finally found the evidence they had been seeking.

"Mr. Olson, what exactly is this thing?"

"Officer, that's what is commonly referred to as a soldering gun"

"Is it loaded and can it be fired?"

"Officer, I have to qualify my previous statement by stating that the technical term or name for that tool is actually a soldering pencil."

Mr. Olson, what do you intend on doing with this, while you're in Canada?"

"Officer, I don't expect to need it, however if a wire should break, or become loose in the equipment that you've already examined, it would allow me to repair it."

"Mr. Olson, I need to have this examined by my Superiors, would you like to accompany me?"

" Actually, I'd like to sit down if that's OK."

He checked with whomever, returned and handed over my disguised Thermonuclear device (I'm not sure he was convinced that it wasn't) and I was finally allowed to head for my destination.

Finally you state:

"Yes, Canada is one fine country to live in - warts and all."

I completely agree with the first part of your statement, and it's not my place to comment on the second.

I would hope that you will permit me to have similar feelings about my Country.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Terry: Your above is spot on!
(Cleaning up my screen from having blown coffee on same after reading your cross-border encounter!!)
Don

:)

I'll have to differ with your characterization of our respective countries

I did not characterize your country. I just stated that because of personal and experience by others - previous but not more so frequent travellers to the US of A for the reasons stated - I have no desire to visit there.

And I find patriotism odious - the last refuge of the scoundrel - because it results in a loss of critical thinking.
If Fox news is the expression of general sentiment in the country - and the numbers suggest it - then the more reason for me to stay home.

As to your cross border experience: my friend, 68 years old, was strip searched, another, 65 years old, was rudely accosted and had his luggage completely searched. Other relatives and acquaintances relate similar stories.
Apparently, if you are a foreigner, do not expect kindness and polite treatment from US officials.

At least, the Canadian officer did treat you with kid gloves and politeness compared what happened to foreigners trying to enter the US.

And - please kind sir, most of the illegal weapons circulating in Canada are sourced from the US.

And btw - could you please tell your country men that the 9/11 terrorists did NOT enter the US from Canada? They either arrived from the Middle east directly or from Germany.
But over 60% still apparently believe this. Maybe that belief informs the attitude of your officials.

But for me to criticize or make sweeping generalizations about your Government, people or way of life would be, not only rude, but would violate certain principles that I hold, and which are for that matter, shared by many of Americans.

Maybe you should put this sentiment towards individuals like Ann Coulter and various of her cohorts at Fox News, whose vile statements regarding Canadians, Canadian politics and Canadian officials where NOT widely criticized in your media.

Americans are can to do whatever they want to do in their country - but if the attitude of your officials is hostile towards foreigners - I guess even you would permit some criticism towards such attitudes, and can find some understanding.
The same goes for policies affecting other countries.
You cannot go and invade whoever you like without a smattering of criticism. After all - it could be us next, the Alberta tar sands beckon....

planet10 said:
Guys,

This thread was good when it was poking good hearted fun, but this is getting a bit rancerous... no more please.

Dave

:cop:

As a Patriotic Cascadian, I agree with your accessment of the current situation. Actually, you saved me from trying to think critically and the resulting brain pain.

Best Regards,
Terry "Odious" Olson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.