CA 340A SE LM3886 based amp - Upgrade advice please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mike,
I still see the pics just fine. They are hosted on an outside server, not on this web site.

Hi John,
Ironic. Using tubes is de-evolution, a step backwards.
I don't agree. Tubes are an earlier device that are a mature technology. We now have better components that were not available back when tubes were a mainstream device, but I think that engineers did a better job with what they had to work with than is done these days in consumer electronics.

Tubes have some admirable attributes, and if you look at the as another component type at your disposal, some interesting design ideas materialize. These devices are a voltage to current converter with their own characteristics. Similar to J Fets, but different. More robust in some ways and problematic in others.

I am looking forward to playing with them in the near future, more than I have in the past. Try to regard these from a viewpoint of a new component that is well understood. You can use them with semiconductors to leverage the best characteristics in both.

If you have the time, try to find a book by Morgan Jones called "Valve Amplifiers". The explanations are concise with easy text to read and understand. I suspect you would enjoy this book on it's own merits. Available from Amazon easily. I'm happy I bought my copy and Morgan will be publishing a revised edition soon. This text does present the theory and pitfalls without diving into pages of math. You get the understanding without excessive suffering.
;)

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Stream,
I've always laid everything out by hand. I'm use to that. However, I am trying to learn Eagle. It seems to be popular and well regarded.

I really hate "schematic capture". I find it time consuming compared to simply scratching the schematic out on paper. The auto-routing feature may change my mind if it saves on the total approach. That and the ability to correct artwork easily and create good artwork as often as I need. Believe it or not, I used to lay everything out in 1:1 positive on mylar with rub down for pads and traces. Did that for 15 years or so. Now I just make a few and make a drilling guide. Then it's "connect the dots" with a resist pen. This works well for prototypes or quick jobs.

I sense a steep learning curve ahead.

-Chris

My first pcb design...
DIP to SOIC. NE5532 to AD8066.

Wait for you comments.

Attachments

• dipsoic2.png
    dipsoic2.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 209
The SE's extra NFB // resistor and cap make no sense to me, shouldn't the 270k and 10pf be in series? As is, it just lowers gain? They might as well have just changed the 27k to a 24k5..
Or have they another purpose?
Just an observation..I'm still learning.

Attachments

• feedback.jpg
    feedback.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 174
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Stream,
Anatech, I'm waiting for Your comment on my post #572
Who? Me??

Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted me to comment.

Your PCB looks fine. I didn't check it for correctness, but then I assume you did - carefully. This is an adapter from sm to through hole? My guess is that you'll use pins from 0.1" strips to connect the daughter board you made to the original PCB. You might want to make a place for supply decoupling capacitors on your small PCB, just to help prevent oscillation. A pair of ceramic types should be fine. These are delicate to solder as they can crack easily due to temperature differential. Otherwise, use leaded decoupling capacitors.

-Chris

Smile PCB's Made for anyone

Sorry to cross post but:

Hi everyone
I have just made these 2 dhrturbopcb1 pcb's for joka22.
I can make pcb's from pdf files etc etc.

The pcb image is photo plotted at high resolution then fine spray etched onto industry standard fr4 pcb board. Then finally they are roller-tinned to make the board easy to solder too then fully drilled ready to be built up by you.

Very good prices for One offs and low volume amounts and I post worldwide.
No silkscreen No photoresist just high class industry standard pcb boards made from your design finished in roller-tin and pre-drilled
Thanks Ajay

Attachments

• dhrturbopcb.jpg
    dhrturbopcb.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 278
Hi Ajay,

Those PCB's look really beautiful mate, I'm wondering what those examples in the the pictures are for?

Can you produce a PCB from a PDF file?

I know Stream is interested in designing a PCB adapter from DIP to SOIC so he might be interested, have you got a website?

Ta,
Mike.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.