Bye bye Blue Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with Ikoflexer .... in fact I think - not that it matters - that the only major criticism is that attached matters on forum posts cannot be opened by the common man in the street. To me it smacks a bit of certain people creating a situation which allows them the dubious pleasure of laughing up their sleeves and may even have undeclared undertones of intention.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Agree with Ikoflexer .... in fact I think - not that it matters - that the only major criticism is that attached matters on forum posts cannot be opened by the common man in the street. To me it smacks a bit of certain people creating a situation which allows them the dubious pleasure of laughing up their sleeves and may even have undeclared undertones of intention.

Most if not all forum software have this as the default, without registration no read access to attachments. But the registration in said forums isn't usually subject to such scrutiny.

It's a bit ironic, of course, that some of these guys were beating the drum of open source and open everything and non-commercial this and that... only to be happiest in a very restricted forum. You gotta love it. :)

The most interesting part to me was coming across one of GK's old threads here on diya. He came across as a genuinely talented and nice guy which I think he is, but I couldn't help myself wonder what in the world happened to him to become the twisted cynic he was lately. Strange things can happen in life and anyone can become a sorry shadow of what he once was. Even stranger that GK seems like his old nice self in the new forum. Perhaps he found the true engineering audience he craved for all this time.

I'm buying a copy of that...

There is now also a player only version, be interesting how people compare it to Amarra.

dave

Dave most of these DSP algorithms are available from NASA/NOAO/SAO as free public domain stuff. FYI I am more interested in DIY solutions. At 24/96 SoX does a .005dB +- 2.5 degree RIAA. I have also confirmed that the input to output of Sox is bit perfect evan at the 24 bit level when the input is down scaled for a filter with gain and the output is normalized to maximize DNR. So for the price of a couple of 2SK170's you have a solution that I'm sure would stand up to either of the others. Or certainly the analog front end of each would dominate the quality. I would like to see their tick and pop remover, so I might do an eval. I now am back on a Linux environment and might revive mine which was looking very good.

Also as I suspected we were off base in an earlier thread, analog preemphasis right before the A/D is just what you would want so no time constants save maybe the 50k one should be in the preamp.

I am going to be very busy for the next 6 weeks or so but I have no intention of keeping away from here anything that the DIY community might find useful. For the time being I can only check in a little on weekends.

Last edited:
My time is best spent elsewhere, ChannlD does nice software, and this is dirt cheap and runs on a Mac.

dave

Your speaking for yourself (~$300) is a lot of money to some here (not me BTW but that is meaningless in this context) and I have not heard a tick and pop remover cheaper than the $30,000 CEDAR that was inaudible on bad starting matierial, while doing it tediously by hand was.

At least the :cop: here have a sense of humour:D

No they bloody don't. Some of the things I've had deleted were admittedly insulting (or provocative), but they were funny, apposite and deserved. I don't just start in to belabour people unprovoked.

One thing my posts are certainly not, is misleading or inaccurate, within the bounds of my ability to ensure so.

Correspondence on a forum is not like email, snail mail or ordinary conversation. It is more akin to a free-form pantomime, everyone is conscious of both the players and the audience. If you gag people, so we can't hear what they're interjecting, you lose some of the most entertaining and the most educational bits.

You have to remember as well, it's just shadows on a screen. It's important not to invest too much of yourself in them. How can you be sure this message was not generated by a piece of software?

The imposition of arbitrary (and they are truly arbitrary) rules regarding how and what should be expressed are a reflection of the cowardice (internalized oppression) of those censoring the site content. What is the worst thing that could happen if all the restrictions on what can be posted were removed?

Freedom of speech (free as in software, not as in beer) is not absolute. Although the site probably falls under a plethora of jurisdictions, no one could reasonably expect to post racist, criminal, hate-mongering or otherwise inciting material without expecting to be pursued under the criminal law in at least one of those jurisdictions.

My personal feeling is that the law provides us with both redress for such trespasses and guidance as to when it might be appropriate to delete material.

w

All you need is love...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.