Bybee Quantum Purifier Measurement and Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dfidler, I am refering to the fact that in everyday electronics we get by using ohms law, LCR etc, Quatum Mechanics is not an item discussed a lot in electronics design labs, I am sure you know to what I was alluding. So why we have to have a rather patronising comment regarding to sticking to the facts, I dont know.
It is only in way out Audiophile products do I find references to Quantum effects, no other electrical or electronic product in general circulation, ask yourself why!

... I am sure you know to what I was alluding.

I was guessing that you were alluding to your opinion of the typical audiophile; more money than brains, generally wowed by facts, figures, shiny things and big words that they don't understand (or ever look up) and so are the ones most likely to buy snake oil.

If you meant something else entirely then I apologize. I generally detest elitism (which is somewhat hypocritical because I've been guilty of it in my own life too, though I'm trying to quit).

So why we have to have a rather patronising comment regarding to sticking to the facts, I dont know.

It wasn't patronizing, it was a request made in the hopes of staving off the same atmosphere that plagued the last thread. Call me an optimist (or even stupid, naive, whatever), but I'd really like to see an impartial set of tests done without a lot of colorful anecdotes, etc. Maybe I'm the only one that wants that, I dunno. <-- no need to respond [just the facts please] to this in this thread, just PM me with title "shut up"; I won't be offended; if I get a representative sample of participants in this thread then I will.. :)

If anything in my post could have been taken as patronizing, it's the part about the resistor & QM. If one didn't have a grasp of the basics of QM, they might have found that comment to be informative or completely wrong (and that I was stupid/ill informed; it could go either way). If one did have a grasp of the basics of QM they would probably have found that comment patronizing. Lose-lose; *shrug*

Cheers,
Dave.

You put it parallel to the load, at the wall socket there, and it "harvests" any noise on the AC and dissipates it as light.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The consensus over here www.hometheatershack.com is that it is a variation on a line filter with an LED that flashes when energy is being dissipated.

Yawn.

Dfidler, I am refering to the marketing and descriptions behind these products, it is this often distorion of the truth I find unpalletable, and I am refering to the way out stuff. I do think that these marketing ploys are to sucker people in to parting with their money. And no its not more monety than brains, if you are not involved with electronics or physics a lot of the stuff written can be believable. Sorry for accusing you of being patronising, I also got the wrong end of the stick.
Sy, as above I am not talking about the physics of a devices function, but a broader use of Quantum Mechanics. You can design quite acceptable elctronic products without being steeped in QM theory, is what I am trying to get across, and I belive the use of QM in the description of an Audio product is there as a smoke screen to cover what is probably in some cases a very expensive placebo.
As to LEDs, the basics that I understand is a higher energy electron fills a lower energy hole and a photon is given off, that is my very basic understanding, also why red leds came first as the energy differental required for red is the lowest, and blue ones only started apearing in the 90's as different materials were developed. Do I need to know that to design LED based circuits, I belive you dont as designing the circuit is a level above the physical effect of them emitting light. Again this is not usually mentioned on an LED data sheet, just its electrical parameters.

Dont know what you are trying to say Stalker, sorry, I neither said I new everything about marketing or was an expert on it, no need for a below the belt swipe.
Was I refering to marketing in general, NO!
But ask yourself what is marketing about, its to get us to buy products, and prefferably product X over product Y.
Sorry for the off topic!
But to put you at ease I do belive the late Bill Hicks summed up marketing in some of his comical rants, and if you read some of the material out there in relation to doubtful audio enhancement devices you may end up with the same opinion.
Anyway enough, I'll wait for the results, if ya wanna have a go at me use PM, it'll keep the thread clear. :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
This is not off topic, this thread is a marketing ploy to get us interested, people were already reaching their wallets. :D

Was I refering to marketing in general, NO!

Yes you were. I see no difference with any marketing ploy, all of them have the same objective. I haven't studied marketing but I guess they don't teach you there about morals or ethics.

no need for a below the belt swipe

I agree there was no need, I was just bored. Sorry.

Don't forget the original purifier, the Shakti Stone. Place one on top of each transformer in your system. "Through inductive coupling, it acts as an absorption device for parasitic, non-musical waveforms that all active components radiate."......"SHAKTI's tuned circuits are designed to only have coupling effects with non-audio MHz and GHz frequencies and some lower, longer wavelength fields around transformers."

Of course these devices are great for your audio system, but the newest incarnation will make your car go faster. "SHAKTI On-Lines breakthrough technology optimizes your car's ECU for increased horsepower and faster 0 to 60 times!"....."SHAKTI units allow your ECU to process this data more quickly...."

But wait there's more! "The Hallograph breakthrough technology is the result of over 10 years of research that studied the effects of the speaker/room interface. We learned how to reduce the audibility of the chaotic reflections from the walls of the listening room so they won’t overpower and interfere with the direct sound from the speakers. The Hallograph contours the frequency, amplitude and time coefficients of the first reflections you hear, which produces a stunning increase in realism."

Shakti Innovations

hmmmn - in danger of becoming a generalised audiophool thread here.

I'm looking forward to the results of SY's testing. However, for me the results are still unlikely to please anyone as the hanging issue is what you as listener PERCEIVE the device to be doing.

Its easy to set up a test and rely on SY's boundless energy, skills and integrity, but the FIRST question should be "Does the (insert name of device here) result in an audable change that is perceived by a statistically significant number of subjects?"

The next question is "Do the subjects perceive the audable change as an improvement?"

After that, and assuming a positive and statistically significant outcome for both those questions, the mechanism is of real interest.

I'm looking forward to the results of SY's testing. However, for me the results are still unlikely to please anyone as the hanging issue is what you as listener PERCEIVE the device to be doing.

Its easy to set up a test and rely on SY's boundless energy, skills and integrity, but the FIRST question should be "Does the (insert name of device here) result in an audable change that is perceived by a statistically significant number of subjects?"

The next question is "Do the subjects perceive the audable change as an improvement?"

After that, and assuming a positive and statistically significant outcome for both those questions, the mechanism is of real interest.

I tend to agree, but I believe the primary purpose here is to test the objective claims made in their marketing.

se

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Until the things are actually being tested, this thread is at risk. Let's please keep it on track, so it does not get closed like the other one.

We might just discuss what sort of tests can be run and in what part of the audio path. Or would that be too boring for y'all?

Status
Not open for further replies.