Buying new tops, RCF event 6000 vs EV TX1152

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The RCF event is a 3-way speaker but for an example it's tweeter is a lot less powerfull then the monster in this D.A.S box. So it's all relative.
Yes it's all relative, the 4" compression driver in the DAS cabs is doing the same job that the mid and high freq drivers are in the RCF cabs so it has to be more powerful.

Thing number two is, specs say the EVENT 6000 is a less powerfull box. The peak SPL is quiet a bit lower then the DAS box.
Look.. forget peak SPL numbers this is marketing ******** pure and simple. These two cabs are capable of very similar output, 15" drivers have a typical sensitivity of 97-98db and they also determine the maximum SPL output of the whole box as they handle the part of the spectrum with the highest power intensity, so I would be very surprising if there was enough difference between them to notice.

so if u do not biamp is there any lowpass for the 15s? are u intending to biamp?
Not allways but they will of course run with subs witch means the active crossover will never be giving them anything under 100hz so the lowpass filter does not play a role here. I doubt i will ever use them as full range cabs
I am talking about lowpass, not highpass.
15s need an internal lowpass otherwise they spoil the midrange.
That 's another topic, but I you intend to use them as pure top speakers never below 100hz, AND going for max SPL, there may be better options that can only do 100Hz up.
The DAS and The RCF are specced to go down to below 50Hz, which is a design trade-off and - if that low response is never needed - another design can get to better SPL / efficiency at 100 Hz up. less Xmax for the 15s, higher tuning resonance etc...
For use ONLY with 18s subs, I would recommend a ported design around 70hz, not higher to avoid the boombox sound.

Oh i misunderstood you. At least from what they draw there does not seem to be a lowpass filter. Witch means 15s get full range signal. Not good if true...

If i buy both i will be stuck with them. At least here in croatia you are going to be selling a big passive cab for years...

And i'm looking for good bang for the buck. I have a bit more then 1000 dollars of budget. These D.A.S and RCF's used cost me about that much. Or i can get those new unused ev tx1152 for the same price.

Other options i can get for that price are 4 yamaha c115v, just got to the market. But i don't know if that's a good option. Yes i would get 4 emminence 2002 tweeters but tweeters in D.A.S boxes are so much more powerfull

Yeah but he is selling them for a bit less then 1000 dollars both.That's really really cheep, guy needs money fast. I called him. They seem to be in really good shape, guy has no problems with me opening the cabs up to see what's inside. They are from 2006, as about expected.

So they will arrive next week, i'll post my opinions when i buy them. Yes they are big and heavey but they just seemed to be the best value for money. Thanks for advices!

The RCF's! They are not in my city so the guy will bring them here during the next few days or next week. I'm doing a small open air concert in exactly 16 days so i'll post my opinions.

I will be biamping them. The 15's are going to be pushed by a yamaha p7000s amp (2x1000w @4ohms), the mid and the tweeter are going to be pushed by a smaller peecker sound amp that can give about 300w @ 8 ohms. I won't push that peecker up to it's limit since that's a bit too much for the tweeter and the mid-hi driver. I believe that two of them together with my 4 horn loaded 18's will be a nice soundsystem for parties/concerts up to 500 people.

I will be biamping them. The 15's are going to be pushed by a yamaha p7000s amp (2x1000w @4ohms), the mid and the tweeter are going to be pushed by a smaller peecker sound amp that can give about 300w @ 8 ohms.

Sounds familiar, I drive my Yorkville double 15+2" cabs with a P7000s and a P3500s with a DCX2496 for processing. What do you have for crossover and EQ?

Yes i will be using something similar. Those yamaha amps are not mine, i still have to buy a proper amp for these RCF cabs. All of my amps are from peecker sound. From my exprience that p7000s does not push my subwoofers as good as my old peecker sound tva1800 witch is rated to same power. But for mid or high drivers it works well.

For crossover i will be using a 3-way DBX and for EQ a dbx2231. I will be mixing on a behringer x32, on this next show in two weeks. None of that is mine, i only have the PA. But i am planning on buying the rest of the equipment maybe during the next year. I still have to see how rental bussines works here in Croatia. If i can get a decent amount of work i will invest in my equipemt further.

No these Yamaha amps aren't the ultimate on subs but I don't think you will get better sound quality with mids and highs. If you are running horn loaded subs with reflex tops you could really benefit from a DSP processors to time align all the drivers, the improvement this makes in dynamics is incredible.

I try to align them physicaly unless i'm running a concert. Then i use matrix sends on the behringer x32 to delay subs since they are horn loaded.

Yeah, the p7000s worked quiet bad on my subs but they push tops nicely and they are not expensive. It's not really a high class amp but great for the price

These are my peecker sound TVA1800.
2x900w @4ohms. 18 years old. They still work perfectly with the only service being cleaning the dust out of it and they can have a yamaha p7000s for breakfast. Especially when talking about subs.
I push my 18's with two of these. My father bought them back in 1997 for the club he used to run. The club closed in 2002. Between 2002 and 2013 they have been out of use in a warehouse.

In 2013 i literally took them, cleaned the dust out and started running parties with them. Not a single brakedown during the entire year.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/athlon-64/IMG_2508_zps228e5b8a.jpg

Here is what they looked like when i first opened them:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/athlon-64/IMG_2481_zpsculxfcum.jpg

Last edited:
I did some proper testing with them last night. Plugged them into a p7000s on top of 4 yamaha subs to se how they work above 100hz.
Holy **** are they loud. I felt like they can push more air then all 6 yamaha c215v we have in this club together. Like quiet honestly. On top of 4 yamaha dual 18 i'd say i missed more sub then top. Really efficient loud boxes. And damn do they sound nice. Those dual 15's when you run them fullrange can't go as low as an 18 of course but when you highpass it on top of the sub they play 100-1250hz and **** what a nice rich kickbass and that lower guitar spectre. Such a great sound. And then you get all that with no sacrifice of clarity because it's a 3-way box. I'm really impressed i have to admit.

They seem to be back from 1996 (the serial number on the tweeter is 07/96 so i suppose that is the production date). And by their looks you can tell they are 20 years old. They need a paintjob. Suspensions on drivers are full of crap they might need a replacement. But those are cheap fixes. The vital parts are all running great. No damaged coils. Crossovers look brand new. Membranes do not have spills over them. And of course... when i heard them i forgot about how they look... This really teached me the difference between a properly design speaker and a cheap'n'loud yamaha

And yeah, here they are :)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/athlon-64/RCF event 6000_zpsztvzd1rs.jpg

Last edited:
I will probably be taking them out to take a look at the back but why are you interested in the picture of the magnet :D, there are tons of them online.

Btw i tried to find out if 15's have ever been repaired. They all seem to look identical. Dustcaps seem to be perfectly identical and do not look like they have been touched. I do however see parts of old upper suspension below the current suspension. So i suppose suspensions on all 4 of them have been replaced witch is kind of expected and normal for a 19 year old speaker. Other then that they don't seem like anyone messed with them. Can't wait to hear them on the next outdoor festival i do in 13 days :D

A 1.5" exit on a 4" diaphram would be unusual though so I'm gonna question that spec, it is much more common to see a 1.5" exit with a 2" or 2.5" diaphram.

Not that unusual. JBL made them in spades. Look up the JBL 2447. Used in LOTS of installed sound systems, in the 1990s and 2000s.

You get really high SPL levels, with better high frequency extension and dispersion, than with a 2" throat. Not quite as good of high end as a 1", but frequently within the range that can be dealt with readily (i.e, with the right EQ profile and such).

Regards,
Gordon.

Oh i misunderstood you. At least from what they draw there does not seem to be a lowpass filter. Witch means 15s get full range signal. Not good if true...

Depends on the 15" woofer in question. I have custom-reconed various 15" woofers, to purposefully create an acoustic rolloff at about 1500-2000 Hz or so. I have used others that have been designed similarly, form the factory. In many of these, the voice coil inductance is sufficient, to cause the woofer to go effectively "out of circuit" in the highs- so there's no real penalty in terms of impedance dips, either.

In that case, the system would have sounded WORSE with additional LP filtering (there would have been a "hole"' between the ranges of the woofer and the horn/HF section).

It's not the most common approach, but it's as valid as any other.

Regards,
Gordon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.