Buying new tops, RCF event 6000 vs EV TX1152

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes you were right. I tried bi amping them for a test tonight. They sounded like ****. Big aligment problems. I used the crossover frequency of 1250hz witch is theirs usual crossover frequency. But still they would need to be delayed.

I decided not to bi amp them on this next concert but i found out they have more power and sound better when running from my old peecker sound tva 1800. Really old 1997 amp but high quality and these yamaha p7000s just can't compare no matter what i try to do.

So the setup i will be running is, peecker sound tva1800 connected with 2 event 6000. Another tva1800 with 2 EV T18, and 2 TVA1000 bridged each one into one more T18. Those 4 t18's in a mono block below the stage and rcf's on the stage. I'll post some pictures after the gig!

Here we go. First show done. They sounded really nice but on an open field with about 300 people in front they lacked power. Guys that rented the system have been happy because they didn't have much money and no one else would bring more. I did a better job with the mix then the guy last year so they ended up happy. But i have been hitting the limiter constantly and at FOH could not average over 100dB. FOH was not so far from the stage. I kind of expected this. Open air show, football field. You need a lot more then this.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/athlon-64/IMG_2874_zpskzuduxze.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/athlon-64/IMG_2890_zps3fonqkmu.jpg

Were you hitting the limiter on the subs or mains?

How much power do you have? - I couldn't find your amp exactly, but I'd guess at around 900w/ch into a low impedance. Maybe a little less if its old and abused. In your position, I'd try and find a Behringer NU6000, and see how that does. It'll do 2kW peaks into your cabs, which should be just fine as long as you're not constantly hitting the limiter.

The next step might be some kick bins.

Chris

2x900w in 4 ohms. But real 900w, as i compared the yamaha p7000s works a lot worse then my peecker amps. That is still not enough i know. I will buy something providing at least 2x1500w into 4 ohms. That should be good.

Honestly my 4 T18's pushed the bootom very nice. Since i like agressive mixing i managed to get kick and bass guitar in you chest over the entire area where people were. Those t18s work really nice in a mono stack like this. But up there the event boxes with these amps could not reach far enough. Sounded great and loud in front of the stage but as soon as a group of people got in front of the stage there was a majour pressure loss. Take a look at the posisiton of the mixer in that picture up there. I could not hit an average of over 101-102dB over there.

Why the hell would i buy kick bins? My t18's do not go very low but work great in the kickbass spectrum and then the event boxes have dual 15 drivers inside. Witch means kick is the last thing my system lacks. I have been thinking about doing something completly different from that. Building 4 HOG boxes from pylewood. So big folded horn boxes that could go lower then T18's. I would then put my 18 inch rcf drivers inside of those and set the crossover cut point at about 70 or 80hz because HOGS will go lower but will not work well as kickers. The good thing about event 6000 boxes is they will push kickbass nicely withouth sacrifising vocals since they are 3way boxes. I tried running my t18s 3way with 2 kickers on top of them but even if you lowpass them at 60hz they will not do much under 40hz. They are simply not subwoofers. Talking about concerts it seems to me i miss more higs then bass.

I've often found that, for "full range" boxes, the lower midrange gives up first. Splitting that range will give you more output. Just a thought.

The NU6k will do the power you're looking for, and weighs next to nothing. Worth a try, especially if you can try renting one first - individual components can be very cheap for a day.
If your high-mid is the weak link, I'd consider swapping out the 6" + 1" combo for a dual 8 or 10" with a big 2" compression driver. More power would be the first thing I'd try, though.

Chris

Not a case with the event 6000's. Theirs kick spectre is one of their best parts. Since 15 have a cutoff point at 1200hz because it's a 3way box they play kick bass very nice without having to go high and muddy everything up. I would much rather get some bass bins that can go lower then t18's. I won't lie i like my t18's with rcf drivers. But i want to have something that will do damage down to 30hz so i can reach infrabass on parties and something i can use for concerts. I tried running my system 3way with kickers while i used 12-1 boxes for top and there was a slight improvement. But now when i have tops that push such beautifull kickbass that makes no sense unless i have subwoofers witch work like **** between 70 and 120hz. Witch i don't. T18's play very nice in that range. So kickers are really the last thing i need.

And i don't know witch part you missed but i'm not using the event 6000 boxes full range. As i said about 50 ties before. I'm running 4 EV T18 bass bins below. So i don't understand what did you mean by kick bins. Have you maybee tought i use the events withouth bass bins?

athlon, i have that inuke 6kdsp on my desk, mint condition, only dust and fingerprints..i could give you a sweet deal on it since i don t need it - still under warranty, bought in december but not used other than try out and play with the dsp ....
great that you like the event 6000s. actually i envy your situation where you can do setups and earn money with it !! i never ever figured out how that works, since i am not the "networking" social guy, more the technically interested nerd type.
if i do a setup for fun or technical interest, invest several 1000s, then all that i earn is troubles with the neighborhood.
we had a nice party actually an open air clubbin in our small village where the dj took 4 EV double 18s and 4 x d&b q1 on total 2 fp10000q ad rocked the village with no one complaining even after midnight. just be cause it was formally agreed . if i set up 2 18s in my garden on a saturday afternoon even indoor in a garden house, i d get the cops knocking before going full power.
that is when i envy the well connected guys who can build setups without neighborhood issues. other thing is that i often read about the pro guys whatnot dumb celebrity girl's so called "music" they have to endure....

If you think so i am not really spinning big money. I will be happy if i earn what these events costed me during the next month. Bear in mind the season is now, when winter comes. Nothing.
The only reason i am investing in this is because my father left me that old soundsystem from a club he used to run. So i will try to use it but the market here is terrible. I have dreams of living from live sound engineering. This is just trying to earn a buck on the side.

Talking about the amp i will not be buying anything untill these event boxes earn what they costed. Also, i would never buy anything from behringer. This x32 mixer is the only decent behringer piece of equipment i have ever seen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.