Buschhorn Driver Upgrade...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Long overdue update (for anyone that cares;) ).

I can't remember where I read it, but someone somewhere was talking about swapping drivers in the BHMkII and said that there best results came from completely blocking the CC. I had been trying stuffing placement, room placement, materials, and fiddling with wire guage, but not totally cancelling the CC. What a difference! My resoning said "higher Vas neccesitates a larger CC, right?" but I am coming to understand that the CC in this case acts as a low-pass. Block it up for a chamberless horn, and, presto, no more honkiness or congested upper bass.

Still not stellar, though, so I threw in a set of TB W4-616s for a test drive. A whole new world of sound. Better in some ways (low-end output, less "shout"), but more simply different . Got me excited to experiment again, so I quickly threw in som TB W4-657s. Wow. Now I've got my hands full. Three different drivers, three different sounds (obviously). Each one responds differently to room placement and CC size, and the A11s even like a little absorbtion in the mouth (hey, I used to know a girl like that). These different drivers have renewed my enthusiasm. It's been said before how much people like to try to put drivers into horn that weren't intended for them. Maybe this is why; I'm stumbling accross all sorts of diiferent "voices" from which I can choose to suit me best.

Next step, get off my butt and give the A11 the cone treatment. Then, maybe even try the Fostex driver the horn was concieved for... I'll get there someday after endless fiddling.

Pioneer A11 in BH Mk 2

I am soon to have the use of a very small room 7 Ft X 10 Ft X 7.1/2 Ft high and would like to use it as a listening room. At the moment I have a pair of Needles with FRS8's and have been very happy with them for a number of years.

I looked around for something that would go into a corner and my searches came up with the Buschhorn, I did begin to make a pair some years ago got one finished using the Visaton FR10 driver but realised that Needles sounded better. In truth I hadn't got a corner to put them in.

I have also found reference in a BIB thread by gychang to the Pioneer A11 drive unit which I can obtain quite cheaply from the USA. This is a 4.1/4" Dia unit and I thought it would not fit into BH Mk 2 unless the dimensions were increased, hmmm I thought I wonder if increasing them proportionally would be OK.

In for a penny so I took the the dimensions of the Mk 2 and increased them by 1/16th. I have scanned the drawing and this is it:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cutting list in millimetres
A 145 x 1050 - 16mm
B 145 x 354 - 13mm
C 145 x 632 - 13mm
D 145 x 142 - 13mm
E 145 x 435 - 13mm
F 145 x 310 - 13mm
G 145 x 460 - 13mm
H 145 x 467 - 13mm
I 145 x 355 - 13mm
J 145 x 425 - 13mm
K 145 x 265 - 13mm
L 372 x 1050 - 13mm
M 372 x 1050 - 13mm

I've no idea whether this will be OK and would be very grateful for any input.

Ahhh well there we go!

Having looked at the Frugel I see that the height of it is 775mm. I like a soundstage slightly above my ears and my Needles are just about right for this.

Having read all the way through the various Frugel/Buschhorn threads I think I will do my own drawing and make something similar to the Buschhorn Mk 1/Frugel/HornShoppe design but about 1 Mtr high.

I will post the drawing here when I've done it.

Jem

Having built both the Frugel's and the B'horn, given the same driver, for me, it's an easy choice. The Frugel horn clearly, again to me,- outperforms the B'horn in all areas, especially bass/mid bass. That said, the B'horns are still a satisfying speaker to build and listen to.
Best,
Don

BH Mk 2 ish ... for Pioneer A11 .... well maybe

Thanks for the interesting comments Don and Scott.

It's nice to know that the two are close Don and that there may be a Mk 2 Frugel Scott, I wonder if it will be a bit longer.

Here's my effort I used bits of Frugel and bits of BH Mk 2

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Being a low tech sort of person I cannot make any comment about whether it will be OK or not.

In my usual fashion I expect I'll suck it and see.

Jem

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: BH Mk 2 ish ... for Pioneer A11 .... well maybe

jemraid said:

Frugal Horn Level 0... no need to reinvent the wheel (what Doorman made).

doorman.jpg

dave

Dear Dave,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and for the pics (excellent) I had seen them on your site and am very impressed with the design.

One small point and this is just a personal preference I do like to have the drive units just above my ears when listening and alas with a speaker height of 775 this is not possible.

My listening started at Birmingham Town Hall where for a very small fee I could sit on the floor at the back of the stalls and listen to a concert. I do like to recreate that feeling and find that speakers at 900 to 1000 height are able to do it.

Kind regards - Jem

jemraid said:
Dear Dave,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and for the pics (excellent) I had seen them on your site and am very impressed with the design.

One small point and this is just a personal preference I do like to have the drive units just above my ears when listening and alas with a speaker height of 775 this is not possible.

My listening started at Birmingham Town Hall where for a very small fee I could sit on the floor at the back of the stalls and listen to a concert. I do like to recreate that feeling and find that speakers at 900 to 1000 height are able to do it.

Kind regards - Jem

Only a couple of degrees of backward tilt should raise the horizontal axis sufficiently to achieve the same result

Buschhorn Mk 2 ish ... backward tilt

Dear Chris,

It's a very good and practical suggestion and I do thank you for it, it had crossed my mind and then I thought it would be a bit like putting a brick underneath something I'd made myself when I could have made something the height I wanted in the first place.

After that I went on to think that the speakers had been designed to stand upright and I'd always be wondering if they were working properly, well I would wouldn't I. ( to quote a famous phrase :)

Thats why I went ahead with this:

jemraid said:

Being a low tech sort of person I cannot make any comment about whether it will be OK or not.

In my usual fashion I expect I'll suck it and see.

Jem

Kind regards - Jem

Dear Scott,

I bet your 'fooling about with ideas' is much more scientific than mine :)

You do say that the design may be increased 'slightly' in length. I've always translated slightly to mean about 5% which would mean a height of about 800 alas still too small for my preferred listening height of 900 to 1000.

I am about a couple of months away ( builders are due to start soon ) from having my room made, it's nothing posh just part of the garage. As soon as it's finished I will be popping into the local timber merchant.

Kind regards - Jem

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jemraid said:
My luck might be 'in' and the FH Mk2 might be 900 to 1000 in height:) You never know!

After much arm wrangling height of FH MK II was increased to a minimum of just over 9-- mm, Internal width has also been increased to aid waveshape control at the mouth.

With so many other projects & trying to keep the bill collectors at bay, the work on FH 2.0 has been languishing.

dave

Dear Don,

Thanks for the encouragement much appreciated :) I must get my mind around the eNAbled treatment

Dear Dave,

I do understand that your income must come first especially in these hard times, having gone through the dreadful redundancy caper a number of times myself I know how awful it can be.

Many many thanks for the hint about the height of the FH 2's I think I will listen to my Needles until the design is published and then make a pair.

My regards to you both

Jem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.