Burning Amp BA-3

When does current pass through the Disconnecting Network?

I'll save you the research.

When there is catastrophic failure in the Mains circuit that links Mains Power to the secondary side.
Fault Current flows to Protective Earth until the Mains fuse ruptures and the arc extinguishes.

This Fault Current can approach kilo-Amps !!!!!!!!
That is why the fuse blow quickly and needs to blow quickly, so that you or any other does not get time to touch the LIVE Chassis before the fuse has blown.

Disconnecting Network

The Disconnecting Network (DN) between the Main Audio Ground and the Protected Chassis, can be a direct wire connection, or a Network of components designed to survive the passage of Fault Current until AFTER the mains fuse has blown.

I have tested a DN that works.
I have not seen any reports of any other Members' DN that have been tested.

When does current pass through the Disconnecting Network?

I'll save you the research.

When there is catastrophic failure in the Mains circuit that links Mains Power to the secondary side.
Fault Current flows to Protective Earth until the Mains fuse ruptures and the arc extinguishes.

This Fault Current can approach kilo-Amps !!!!!!!!
That is why the fuse blow quickly and needs to blow quickly, so that you or any other does not get time to touch the LIVE Chassis before the fuse has blown.

Understand that current takes the shortest way to pass in case of failure and
this will be the protective earth path.

The Disconnecting Network (DN) between the Main Audio Ground and the Protected Chassis, can be a direct wire connection, or a Network of components designed to survive the passage of Fault Current until AFTER the mains fuse has blown.

I have tested a DN that works.
I have not seen any reports of any other Members' DN that have been tested.

Ok. I think i get it...:) I will use the thermistors. Thanks.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

do not worry - there is no current through that NTC

it will flow only in case of xformer malfunction , where sole important thing is that NTC is capable of more current than mains fuse ..........

in layman terms - if there is current between primary winding and case , NTC will conduct it

Some thoughts about the BA-3 FE biasing. Its very hard to null out the DC offset.
I just want to know if this is normal as I get different DC offset when INPUT shorted and
when not. First I tried whit input shorted to ground and could adjust in the range of around 10mV after
that I tested the offset whit input open and the DC offset was 1V....Whats the problem here?