Burning Amp BA-3

Good question! :):) The cost for monoblocks is huge!

Has anyone build it this way? Or even whit EI core mains transformers of 800-1000VA?

I built this one stereo (single ended version). It has two 600 va transformers, separated power supplies. It is extremely heavy, have not weighed it, but sure its over 100lbs. Sounds better my other Passdiy amps. That Is a BA3 gain stage on top, I no longer use it, turns out I dont need it.

If I remember correctly, it has +/- 25 volt rails, and I think it clipped 8 ohms at 14 watts.

btw, I have 1500va 40vpar/80vser hammond for sale if your interested, I thought that I would make an F5T with it someday.

cheers

Attachments

• burning amp.jpg
    burning amp.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 573
  • burning amp 2.jpg
    burning amp 2.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 571
I built this one stereo (single ended version). It has two 600 va transformers, separated power supplies. It is extremely heavy, have not weighed it, but sure its over 100lbs. Sounds better my other Passdiy amps. That Is a BA3 gain stage on top, I no longer use it, turns out I dont need it.

If I remember correctly, it has +/- 25 volt rails, and I think it clipped 8 ohms at 14 watts.

btw, I have 1500va 40vpar/80vser hammond for sale if your interested, I thought that I would make an F5T with it someday.

cheers

Very nice build!!!
Thank you for the offer but I think the shipping cost to my place would be tooo much...
I am trying to find something locally...

metal oxide tolerate overload a bit better than metal film.
For source resistors I would use either metal wire or metal oxide, not metal film.

Except that the latest I am working on uses 5off parallel 1r0 600mW 1% metal film to give an equivalent to 0r2 3W 1% metal film as an emitter resistor. So I break my own rules. The emitter resistors of the 2pair output stage, have a no overload current limit of >7.7A
For a fast transient I would expect them to tolerate ~15Apk provided the transient is very short. 15Apk is my target for peak transient current for a 100W into 8ohms capable amplifier.

Last edited:
Sitting here, ordering parts for my BA-3 build, wondering what resistors it would be worth spending a bit more on, and which ones are not that important. I understand that the ones in the "signal path" are the ones that mostly matters. But the more I'm trying to figure out which ones that could be, the more unsure I get...

I've been reading all papers, and quite a bit of threads, about the BA's several times but realize that I'd mostly be guessing if I made any decissions based on what I understand... :/

Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated!

//Ronny

I've also been wondering about which chassis to choose. When I first started I planned to build the F5 Turbo, and ordered 24 volt toroids, but then changed my plans. Is there any point in using the 5U chassis instead of the 4U for the BA-3, regarding how high I can turn up the bias, or are the number MOSFETs the limiting factor? (I'm using the standard output boards from the store, total of 12 MOSFETS.)

//Ronny