Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I read it takes many years for an electron to travel through a cable ? Not so if a superconductor . I made a speaker cable burner for a friend to a recipe described to me . He seems delighted ( I never tried it myself ) .

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, then are dreamt of in your philosophy”

I mean we infer as looking at it is impossible . I am as comfortable as anyone with accepted ideas ( shifting sands ) . All of my friends who talk about this seem to have differing views . To be honest it doesn't interest me much . A bit like psychology . Too important to dismiss , unimportant to me . I tried to understand women . I gave up and just enjoyed the reality of them instead .

Last edited:
AC Signal transmission through cables is quite well understood, my earlier (simplified) posts were a reference to it, it is the electromagnetic wave that dose the travelling the electons jiggle in its presence (a very very simple explanation, physicists). It is TEM wave propagation. As stated quite often here it is physics.
Thanks for the links, its good to laugh, there is not enough humour in the world as it is.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for the humour. Why is it that audio widgets now always have to have some vague connection with military technology? Maybe the link is that the military seem willing to spend eye-watering amounts of money, on the assurance from others (e.g. vendors) that this will be money well spent? Soldiers and defence civil servants are often rather non-technical, so can be easy prey.

As an example of military 'technology', many different countries with insurgency problems (including Iraq) bought expensive 'bomb detectors' from a UK company. They are supposed to detect nearby explosives, and were used at checkpoints etc. The device appears to be little more than a plastic box containing a circuit board with a couple of short telescopic antennas connected. An engineer inspected this for a TV news programme, and concluded (as expected) that the device could not possibly work. The designer has, a few years later, been charged with fraud. I am not saying that all military technology is fraudulent, far from it, but I am saying that you can't use 'military' as a guarantee that the technology actually works because clearly they haven't a clue how to test things.

Last edited:
The RAF guy . I was annoyed he was being used . I didn't have time to study the methodology as I was ushered out for asking difficult questions . I did feel it was complete nonsense . Time will tell if the pun can be forgiven ? DF I wished you had been there .

As far as I could tell the signal was re-digitized and the error measured .

I asked Tim de Paravacini about it . He said approximately , been there , done that and it doesn't work.

preconditioning or pre-heating is the correct term, the FTC mandated a 1hour at 1/3 full power preconditioning or pre-heating of claimed power spec before testing is done on the amplifier......

burning-in is very much a part of ic manufacturing process...and i know for a fact that AMD do a 100% testing of all their parts before these ic's are tested, marked, packed and shipped to costumers.....

I was speakeng to the psychology behind it, not the science.

A tiny bit of misinterpreted knowlege can be a "dangerous" thing when dealing with the general public no matter what the subject may be . :)

I was speaking to the psychology behind it, not the science.

A tiny bit of misinterpreted knowledge can be a "dangerous" thing when dealing with the general public no matter what the subject may be . :)

I think this is where advertising men write the texts ? I suspect the " burn in " is only a reliability test . The words perhaps convey the true meaning to the engineer and something romantic to others . My guess is a hang over from the old days ?

The number of times I have written a simple and honest text only to find it translated into hype .

One thing I would say about cables , be gentle with them especially if solid core . Solid core kinks .

Pymble Hi-Fi - Nordost Cable Burning

I note that according to the literature the Vidar "neutralizes spurious charges that build up around the cables and the insulation."

I have just invented a unit for those of us forced to listen to such nonsense.

I have christened it the "Vidal"

Much like the old Zerostat, simply point it at whatever snake-oil salesman is making the pitch and it "neutralizes spurious claims (static) that build up around events where boutique manufacturers, audiophools, and audio reviewers are gathered.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.