Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Speaker cable sound is most affected by --

The cable inductance (Ls) is in series with the tweeter -- the tweeter has a small inductance as well. So, if the cable Ls is high, it can roll off the treble and that could be heard. Or, conversly a cable with less inductance compared to the reference cable could cause a rise in the treble which might be heard as well.

Power amps have a lot of current to charge cable capacitance quickly so that isnt as much an issue.

But burn-in would be related to stress relieving ... as it is in capacitors which are tightly wound.

I used to work for Advanced Micro Devices in the 90's....our testing department has a burning-in section wherein chips are subjected to several cycles of hot and cold in burn-in ovens prior to final testing of chips.....

later on those audiophile boys got wind of this and adopted it for their own purpose.....and the rest is history.....

Thats testing for reliability at all temerature ranges common practice, especially in the high reliability fields of electonics, its to make shure the components work at the published temperature range. To an extent I could forgive them for components, but when it comes to cables, maybe its aroebics for the electronsloosens them up:)

If cable burn-in means anything at all, which I doubt, then it must be something to do with annealing the crystal lattice. If you move the cable the flexing will upset things again, so you would have to burn-in cables in situ and then never move them.

However, as marce says, instrumentation seems not to need it. As cable resistance forms only a small part of the potential divider linking source to load, then any noticeable effect on signals would require a correspondingly larger proportional effect on the cable resistance and should be easily measurable. If copper wire did funny things to signals then surely someone would have seen it by now?

Why would "annealing the crystal lattice" or some such baloney only apply during the "breaking in" period?? Seems subsequent musical diversity would continue to modify the implied kinetic dynamics, such that the given cable would only be good for one specific genre (or even a single performance).

If you do the math re: defect mobility/healing and/or lattice constraints, it ain't there...

I'm with SY re: Cargo Cult-ism...;):worship:

auplater said:
Why would "annealing the crystal lattice" or some such baloney only apply during the "breaking in" period?
I was trying to be open-minded and polite, while remaining very deeply sceptical. My usual position on these issues is "if it happens in audio, how come it is not seen elsewhere in potentially more sensitive applications?".

Yet burn in only exists in audiophile circles, why not in instrumentation or other areas of electronics where very sensitive analogue signals are processed?

Because in the labs, you have real engineers and they worry about real physics, not audiophile mystics.

In industry, we did shake and bake of our components to identify reliability issues, not to magically settle their parameters. If measurements changed, we would reject it as a bad part.

Ye, in the inductry sector I work in as a PCB designer we have to test components and assemblies to extremes of temerature (-40 +80, sometimes -55 +125) as failure is not an option, and still achieve the same gains and circuit functionality, sometimes wonder why we worry so much about designing an simple audio amp or DAC for such a benign envoironment as our living rooms. It does keep us amused and gives us somthing to discuss:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.