Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry Marce . I did it to enliven the debate . I do think it very logical to use solid core and the transformer version at that . I keep an open mind about the cables . The burn in time I take as distinctly possible . I use that in a way which might be helpful to others . If I reinstall a system of aged components I always say I will live with it for some time before passing judgement . For reasons I feel not to be psychological the system does seem to improve and soften . I can not say for sure it is cables . I use the example of used equipment as I feel that says not the equipment breaking in . Often the speaker location has not been changed .

I often use WD40 to clean switches . I am sure some would be very alarmed . It seems to work and dare I say sounds good ? Usually before that the switch was just about functional . Not done for Audiophile reasons . Quad told me they used it . They discovered it by accident and preferred it to Servisol the usual cleaner .

I do believe the correct grade of solid core can give a small bonus at very low cost . Bass might be 1 to 2.5 mm . Mid 0.6 mm . Top 0.25 mm . Universal 0.6 mm . As I said previously I feel the HF to be altered by solid core . It works when added to multi core so is a nice defect of the solid core if you like ( some say the multi changes it irreversibly , I don't think that is true ) . Naim cable was a multi made of about 0.5 mm strands . It works well .

Nordost is a flattened solid core in something like PTFE . I think I was told it is aircraft high temperature cable ? The OFC being useful to resist cracking ( work hardening ) .

BTW . I was told scientists try to disprove everything new . It is an obsession or hobby to some . Sometimes good science is lost for long periods of time due to this . The person who said it , said it is the duty of a scientist to disprove new ideas ( Peer Review ) . The idea is that science is a sort of a school playground where your toughness is tested . That is understandable . It does make some look a bit daft when the truth is uncovered . There is now a debate about Steady State and Big Bang . Steady State was perhaps too quickly rejected ? Perhaps not enough bullying of Big Bang ? Quasars are the stumbling block . Their red shift not correct for where they seem to be . Doubtless a quirk ? Inconvenient quirk .

Speaker cables is not big science . I feel we can be a bit imaginative and perhaps save money ?

Last edited:
I agree with that . However in cooking we trust our senses . Cooking can be made into a science . My friend Dr Roger Trowbridge was responsible for Mars ice cream . There it has to be a science as it must be repeatable . Also very little of the ice cream is the same as the Mars bar . It was getting the taste at low temperature that was difficult . Roger looks after the British harmonica society , former member Larry Adler . Roger is happy listening to things , his wife a musician .

I agree with that . However in cooking we trust our senses . Cooking can be made into a science . My friend Dr Roger Trowbridge was responsible for Mars ice cream . There it has to be a science as it must be repeatable . Also very little of the ice cream is the same as the Mars bar . It was getting the taste at low temperature that was difficult . Roger looks after the British harmonica society , former member Larry Adler . Roger is happy listening to things , his wife a musician .

Gave Roger a plug as no one knows he did that . He didn't think it a big deal .

WD-40 is a Water Displacement formula. Leaves a film so it helps exclude air. I actually hate it for some things as the residue gets gummy over time. I can see it would be a reasonable treatment. I use Boeing T9.

If a theory can't be disproved, it is not proven, but it does lend a lot of weight to the theory. A lot of modern science is based on non-disproved theory. Take dark matter for example. Can't show it is not there, but not really sure it is either. Just a good way to explain what we see. BTW, I am not aware of anyone taking steady state seriously right now. Is their a layman discussion of this somewhere?

The steady state supporters look to Quasars . This NASA statement seems to me to say they understand the doubt . As I said a quirk most likely . I was just surprised how quickly Fred Hoyle was deposed in science . It is rare . You can imagine others are far more adamant that Quasars disprove the Big Bang . Thinking carefully , Steady State makes more sense ( infinity needs no explanation ) . However some expansion of the universe seems reasonable . I always say and I hope people will fill in the gap , things are not black and white they are shades of colour .

The strangest part of this is the disprovers seem to be Bible bashers . They should read more carefully . I always got the impression BB was just page 1 retold ( how lazy is that ) . Therefore I do believe BB as it seems to be endorsed by thinkers of the past .

Quasar redshifts and distance

Quasar redshifts and distance

Forgive double link .

T
The strangest part of this is the disprovers seem to be Bible bashers . They should read more carefully . I always got the impression BB was just page 1 retold ( how lazy is that ) . Therefore I do believe BB as it seems to be endorsed by thinkers of the past .

:cop: Nigel, you've been warned repeatedly about religious discussion. Cut it out. Period.

Back to cable break-in, what does it do? in simple scientific terms, because as I have said before there is ONLY the esoteric audio community that promote and use cable break in or burn in.
Fact is its a load of hog wash, re-read this thread from the begining and assess the factual evidence (all aginst) and the pseudo physics (for).

I am at a loss to understand why something that costs nothing is controversial ? It might be imagination , I don't know .

When I mega tested my mains cables in my house and discharged them I was very surprised to find a voyage there some days later ( my new cabling before inspection ) . My brother joked and said I had done a good job as the resistance to Earth was high ( 12 Meg in new plaster ) . He asked me if I did not know of dielectric absorbion ? I did yet thought it only about electrolytic's . Not so and I had proven it . I think someone did say about this so sorry to repeat it . However when discovering it for myself I was surprised ! Polypropylene capacitors are said to be more effected by this than paper ( memory ) . Perhaps why paper still has it's fans . I am told cotton is a dielectric of choice if compatible with use .

Not science as I have not invested money to find out . I doubt anyone else has ?

Last edited:
How do I give you the science that says why I like Ravel mostly more than Beethoven ? And the science that you perhaps you don't ? I must say my choice is a close run thing between the two and perhaps daft to even say I have a preference , Apples and Aardvarks come to mind .

Someone told me Ravel is dreadful music . I said that's why no one ever plays it especially Radio 3 where I was listening . I will accept it is not everyones cup of tea . Someone might say the science of music says Beethoven is better . If so I will stick to cooking . I might have a listen if no one is around to the String Quartets ( 1966 Quartetto Italiano Philips ) . I would hate to be wrong or unfashionable .

Best I could find of now . Not easy music . I would like to think cables well used before playing this . I think it was rejected by Ravel's teacher when a gift for being " music at ones nerves ends " . In all seriousness little things being wrong can narrow your window of loving music . Why disapprove of something at no cost which might just be true ? Surely an open mind is not the worst quality you could have ? I have one , I am glad to think I might imagine it . I don't imagine I love music .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhN0RRlLhDg&feature=related

Nul argument.
The science of sending signals down cables has been well studied since Oliver Heaviside.

Funny you should say about him . He was accused of being a bit slapdash in his time . Alan Blumlein was a great cable designer . It is said talking in Switzerland only possible by his work ( telephone cables next to electric trains and electrical noise ) . For all that was known at the time Blumlein made it work . He couldn't write very well so perhaps would never have used our forum if still alive .

We who disliked CD were called Flat Earther's . I felt proud to be that and the World is flat in ways we depend upon . Gradually those who said digital to be perfect were laughed at by scientists also . Much better digital followed albeit then pushed back by MP3 . Never assume the person who will not use science is unacquainted with it .

Pasteur was known to be wrong . He needed a very excellent proof to be believed ( swan neck flask open to the air ) . The Bordeaux wine industry gambled on him being right and never looked back . How many died who might have been saved ?

Heaviside was slapdash with his maths, but his physics was fine. This is, of course, an irrelevant side-issue, as is DA in wire insulators. Why do people always bring up irrelevant side-issues when asked for evidence of cable burn-in?

(DA is a linear low frequency phenomenon. The worst it can do is feed back the average DC voltage back into a high impedance circuit. A speaker cable is a low impedance circuit with zero average DC level, so DA can do nothing.)

As I said it is so harmless to think it might be true . Spend money ? Me neither .

Homeopathic medicine is a more difficulty subject . I am glad we never tried too hard to justify these things . I do sincerely think my 0.6 mm solid core a good thing to use . I would imagine OFC not too extravagant . It is said all cable made after 1930 is close to OFC . It made cable production faster . If it makes no difference then it will do you no harm and will save you money . If it has too much resistance ( which I doubt ) choose differently .

I meant no disrespect to Heaviside , the reverse in fact . I like slapdash in maths . My brother invented an easy way to design RIAA circuits which are +/-0.1 dB correct . It took me a few days to get the bumps out without using the usual formulea to be better . I then reused his method for the other EQ's ( 78's ) . Like a fool I never wrote it down properly . Basically what he said was say a capacitor is open circuit at frequency X and 0 ohms when frequency Y . He then had a fiddle factor to get it mostly right . He dreamed it up on the spot to get me started . It was so good as not to need fixing . He knew the correct maths . He is now gone .

This was a similar debate . I saved much money reading this . COG ceramics can be used in RIAA circuits , I wouldn't dare before . Please read it as it is useful ( a series ) .
http://www.waynekirkwood.com/Images/pdf/Cyril_Bateman/Bateman_Notes_Cap_Sound_1.pdf

Last edited:
Back to cable break-in, what does it do? in simple scientific terms, because as I have said before there is ONLY the esoteric audio community that promote and use cable break in or burn in.
Fact is its a load of hog wash, re-read this thread from the begining and assess the factual evidence (all aginst) and the pseudo physics (for).

So why can't this thread die? People want something for nothing that's why. Thinking is too much work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.