Building with the Soekris dam1121

Completed, put my dam1121 into a chassis.
Used four Salas shunt regulators.
a pair of v1.3 for +/- analog 5v
two reflektor-d for two digital 5v

Attachments

• IMG-9201.jpg
    IMG-9201.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG-9202.jpg
    IMG-9202.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
this sounds great event better with tnt's filter, its really up front without sacrificing musical content, for me usually up front normally means lack of definition but not with 1121, been looking for this sound for many years, last time i owned a ref dac was many years ago a technics slp990 which sadly was stolen and never seen again.

this sounds great event better with tnt's filter, its really up front without sacrificing musical content, for me usually up front normally means lack of definition but not with 1121, been looking for this sound for many years, last time i owned a ref dac was many years ago a technics slp990 which sadly was stolen and never seen again.

Excuse me, do you mean the SQ of dam1121 sounds great?
even better with tnt's filter?

Last edited:
Hi There!
My dam1121 isn't still working. I only want to use it for my cddrive via spdif. Do I have to enable en-audio on J1 and use it as master, so put a 3.3kohm from J1 to VCC 5V?
Thanks, I am still strugling, but will succeed (I think).

This is explained in the manual. The 1121 is not as much plug&play as the 1021. Probably you should consider the latter.
For a stereo setup with one dam1121 these config pins must be connected to either gnd [LOW] or to 3,3V/5V [HIGH]with a 1k/3,3kohm:
J2, Pin 4 (CFG0): LOW
J3, Pins 7,9,11 (I2S_DAT/BCKL/LRCK_O = CFG 1/2/3): LOW
J1, Pin 2 (EN_Audio): HIGH

S/PDIF via TOSLINK is easy and implements galvanic Isolation to the source.

I hope this helps.

Hi There!
My dam1121 isn't still working. I only want to use it for my cddrive via spdif. Do I have to enable en-audio on J1 and use it as master, so put a 3.3kohm from J1 to VCC 5V?
Thanks, I am still strugling, but will succeed (I think).

For a ‘standard’ 1121, i.e a stereo 1121 operated as Master, you do not need to touch EN_AUD. See post #60 on page 6.

You DO need to connect 5VDC to BOTH pins 1 and 2 of J2 and you do need to strap the config pins to GND with a 3.3kR resistor each as per the option for master and Stereo Non-inverted in the manual. (J2 pin 4 and J3 pins 7,9 and 11 to GND).

With +5VDC on J1 pin 1 and -5VDC on J1 pin 15 and the 0V to any GND pin on J1 you then only need a properly wired source on either the SPDIF or I2S input. Remember, configured as above without going into the menu and setting it differently, the above will be at 0dB output (100% volume up).

Another positive vote for TNT's filter. It's not a massive effect, but I'm getting slightly more resolution than the previous filter I was using, one of Paul's Nyquist filters.

This thread, being a build thread, I thought I might give you an update on what I’m planning to build with the dam1121.

My plan is a quad mono config. So 2 dam1121 for each side, just as many big company’s do, by paralleling DACs.

I already designed a PCB with EAGLE. The pcb holds 4 connectors for the 4 dam1121s a si570 clock, a 1:4 LVDS Buffer, 2 LT3042 one for the clock and buffer, the other one for the 3,3V things of the DAM1121. Is is laid out as a 4 layer pcb with LVDS on one side and i2s on other side. All these traces are routed with respect to the given impedance. Of course there are i2s connectors a toslink connector and config resistors.

The buffer is currently the si53340. But I will switch to the 8SLVD1204-33 for its lower additive jitter.

If anyone wants to make this a group effort, I can send the EAGLE schematic and board layout.

Does someone has experience with sth. like this?
Any help and thought is very welcome.