It's almost a shame to put it in a box.

Attachments

• DSIR9364.JPG
    DSIR9364.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 466
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The jfets working under Vbe only which form the string of five constant current drains lost 25-30% IDSS VS battery test. Hence the leds lost a bit of Vf each is the voltages explanation. Very good voltages as for DCB1, no further tweaks are needed.
If you will mutually swap the 3mV pair jfets there can be a different result for better or worse. But 3mV is mighty fine. You gonna put an all DC scenarios safety capacitor in the output as you said, so any DC becomes a non issue anyway. Happy listening.

Thanks for your suggestion, but the problem is also with other interconnects, see Post #2458 . A bit better but not silent...:(

Still, have a look at what I try to say:
big loop to catch hum.jpg
[I had this similar problem too when I went from 330B mono's to Le Monstre]
It is these two sides of the loop (L/R) that have to be twisted or taped together.

The output impedance of the B1 is not low enough to kill the inductance . . . completely. (A Kondo stage would do slightly better probably)
albert

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Still, have a look at what I try to say:
View attachment 268244
[I had this similar problem too when I went from 330B mono's to Le Monstre]
It is these two sides of the loop (L/R) that have to be twisted or taped together.

The output impedance of the B1 is not low enough to kill the inductance . . . completely. (A Kondo stage would do slightly better probably)
albert

Hi Albert,

i tried that. A bit better like the Nordost cables i had tried, but the hum is still there...:confused:

Attachments

• SAM_1176.jpg
    SAM_1176.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 411
I'm sorry to say it but I prefer the sound of my B1 clone over that of the DCB1.

I might try the B1 with the SALAS reg to see if it improves matters.

For some reason or other my DCB1 just doesn't sound as "Clean" as the B1.

Before anyone comments, do remember that mine have both got output caps. I've used Mundorf 33uF630V Polyprops with the DCB1 and Obbligato 10uF PIOs with the B1.

My DCB1 is also single sided PCB whereas the B1 is double sided.

PLEASE NOTE - This is NOT a SALAS PCB, it is a homebrew board built using the original artwork.

I've also got very slight HUM which is not present on the B1, this could be down to layout or a faulty component.

One channel is distorting but only as I approach half volume.

Last edited:
I've got rid of the distortion.

On my Home Brew PCB the traces around the relay are extremely close together and although I checked for copper whiskers, I think one crept back when I was soldering.

I will need to increase Turn ON delay though.

I've still got DC on the output (all-be-it mV) even with the N.O. contacts of the relay grounded so-as to short the outputs to ground.

Last edited: