Building 3-way speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is no reason to concern yourself with matching the speaker power handling to the amp power rating. More than likely, the amp is not capable of producing it's label rating cleanly anyways, so it wouldn't matter if the speakers were rated to handle 300 watts you could still wind up blowing a high range driver with distortion if you drove the amp to 150W output with a nasty pile of distortion.

What kind of amp is it anyways?

There is no reason to concern yourself with matching the speaker power handling to the amp power rating. More than likely, the amp is not capable of producing it's label rating cleanly anyways, so it wouldn't matter if the speakers were rated to handle 300 watts you could still wind up blowing a high range driver with distortion if you drove the amp to 150W output with a nasty pile of distortion.

What kind of amp is it anyways?
oh it definately does what it's rated for :) It's an adcom gfa-545 II that we got for $50 years ago and all that was wrong was a broken fuse inside :)

Hi,

Any speaker that can handle 75W RMS at any frequency in the bass end
should be rated for amplifier power around > 3 times that, i.e. ~ > 225W.

Its not RMS, its short term RMS peak clipping levels, or 225W programme.

rgds, sreten.

Here I'm referring to the Tarkus, which I'd say is easily max 200W rated.

Last edited:
Hi,

Any speaker that can handle 75W RMS at any frequency in the bass end
should be rated for amplifier power around > 3 times that, i.e. ~ > 225W.

Its not RMS, its short term RMS peak clipping levels, or 225W programme.

rgds, sreten.

Here I'm referring to the Tarkus, which I'd say is easily max 200W rated.
225 program meaning "Max?" The more I learn in this thread the more I am leaning toward a tower type multi woofer 5-6.5" instead of just 8's or 10's I notice you can't even really buy large speakers anymore. I also think my dad should go with more of a tower so he can stand them on the left and right of his computer desk.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The more I learn in this thread the more I am leaning toward a tower type multi woofer 5-6.5" instead of just 8's or 10's
What are your thoughts on doing this?

I notice you can't even really buy large speakers anymore.
That depends on where you look.

I also think my dad should go with more of a tower so he can stand them on the left and right of his computer desk.
Not to make too much out of this, but things between the speakers don't tend to help.

I thought I'd ask why you wanted a stack of smaller drivers rather than assuming the reasons. By the way there are some good designs of this sort.
I am thinking a stack of smaller drivers might be nice for my dad to stand next to his computer desk so he doesn't have to turn around to listen but I'm not set either way. I definitely want something that wont be drowned out by the sub. I am liking this speaker kit TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Components And Cabinet Kit Pair 300-702 how many watts is it capable of handling? I see the tweeter says 50 and the woofers each are 30 watts I'm not sure if they are wired together or what but I'm just wondering.

he means as far as acoustics go, having the computer+desk in between them doesnt tend to help as far as natural refraction/diffusion of the point source.

pretty much unavoidable in this situation however, unless you hang them above the desk with the computer on the floor and monitor on the wall

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I definitely want something that wont be drowned out by the sub.
I thought for a bit about how to respond to this, but in the end, this statement simply doesn't make any sense.

I could assume you have a view of subs based on the way many people set them up. They boom and carry on.

For a different perspective compared to that common way of doing it, when I set up my subs they don't really sound that different to running without them except that the bass has been ironed out to how the mains should have been, if it were possible. There is a little more extension but it isn't possible to notice it (I mean you wouldn't know they could go deep)...until there are deep notes in the music and then they produce these easily.

When they are set up like this, the bass will satisfy someone who favours sound quality but who is also a bass addict. They don't sound boomy or unnatural, but if you turn up the bass it becomes too heavy.

I am liking this speaker kit TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Components And Cabinet Kit Pair 300-702 how many watts is it capable of handling
Again, the questions ought to be, 'How much sound can it produce?' and 'How much power will it take to achieve that?'

Sound is power. The electrical ratings just don't relate to it so directly.

A pair of woofers of that size in a large box like that will go fairly loud, enough to satisfy most domestic situations but for some they will be pushing it.

he means as far as acoustics go, having the computer+desk in between them doesnt tend to help as far as natural refraction/diffusion of the point source.

pretty much unavoidable in this situation however, unless you hang them above the desk with the computer on the floor and monitor on the wall
One speaker on the left of the desk and one on the right of the desk the same way they would be setup on the other side of the room but he wont have to turn around to listen. How else would you set them up?

I thought for a bit about how to respond to this, but in the end, this statement simply doesn't make any sense.

I could assume you have a view of subs based on the way many people set them up. They boom and carry on.

For a different perspective compared to that common way of doing it, when I set up my subs they don't really sound that different to running without them except that the bass has been ironed out to how the mains should have been, if it were possible. There is a little more extension but it isn't possible to notice it (I mean you wouldn't know they could go deep)...until there are deep notes in the music and then they produce these easily.

When they are set up like this, the bass will satisfy someone who favours sound quality but who is also a bass addict. They don't sound boomy or unnatural, but if you turn up the bass it becomes too heavy.

Again, the questions ought to be, 'How much sound can it produce?' and 'How much power will it take to achieve that?'

Sound is power. The electrical ratings just don't relate to it so directly.

A pair of woofers of that size in a large box like that will go fairly loud, enough to satisfy most domestic situations but for some they will be pushing it.
ok forget about the sub I meant something to match it, as far as the wattage I want to know the specs of what I am buying. I'm guessing since you answered this way that they sound like crap? I want something that is as loud and as good sounding as possible within my budget.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm guessing since you answered this way that they sound like crap?
No, modern transmission line enclosures are not known for sounding bad. I haven't heard this kit but I have built using 5-1/4" drivers in an MTM. They went fairly loud, but I suspect not as loud as you are hoping, and I'm assuming you'd prefer the sound of a wider cabinet.

I want something that is as loud and as good sounding as possible within my budget.
I would suggest something with a large pro woofer and a compression tweeter on a waveguide.

One speaker on the left of the desk and one on the right of the desk the same way they would be setup on the other side of the room but he wont have to turn around to listen. How else would you set them up?

ok forget about the sub I meant something to match it, as far as the wattage I want to know the specs of what I am buying. I'm guessing since you answered this way that they sound like crap? I want something that is as loud and as good sounding as possible within my budget.

you missed the point, the point was ideally you wouldnt set it up like that at all, the desk shouldnt be there in the middle for best sound. i already gave a possible scenario of another way to set them up if you had a large flatscreen.

some problems with certain usage like this are unavoidable though

you missed the point, the point was ideally you wouldnt set it up like that at all, the desk shouldnt be there in the middle for best sound. i already gave a possible scenario of another way to set them up if you had a large flatscreen.

some problems with certain usage like this are unavoidable though
Do you care to explain why it would sound bad? I don't think I can hang towers it would look very weird and not work very well. I actually have my speakers on top of my desk and they sound amazing.

Last edited:
Driver power handling ratings are based on the ability of the voice coil to to dissipate heat, and do not take into account mechanical limitations when playing lower frequencies in various box alignments. In those large vented boxes, it's possible the power handling at some low frequencies could be as low as 10-20W per box give or take (not sure, would have to run a sim with more information about the tuning of the box). If you intend to high-pass the mains, then this doesn't matter, and you can count on power handling somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-100W RMS depending on the content of the signal. Also, like streten was saying, you can actually have transients and peaks far higher than this without a problem.

A clean amplification level of 100W RMS per channel in a stereo system with average speaker efficiency (~90db/w) translates to listening levels that are pretty darn high (~116db @1M if I am doing my math right here). 25WPC of clean amplification is generally enough to hit studio reference levels (~110db).

That amp your dad has there is really great, and will have a ton of overhead for normal listening, which is great, because it can really provide a presence in situations where you have a lot of dynamic range to deal with. That amp is pretty similar I suspect to the one I own. A Rotel RA-1070 integrated amp. (MSRP: $1200, bought on consignment for less than half of that about 10 years ago). When I first switched to this amp, I finally understood the importance of "good" amplification.

IMO good amplification is more important than good speakers. I know some will balk about me saying it, especially in the forum section dedicated to the speakers, but my experience has led me to believe it is true. I have heard high end speakers sound mediocre on typical home stereo receivers, and I have heard ordinary speakers sound incredible on a really clean amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.