Build thread - building the Subbu DAC V3 SE

hey phil, hope you had a good rest ;-) so i checked the lines again, all is good there. when you go to the soundcard properties in system settings you can "test" the supported formats. 44,1 and 48 work fine, but everything higher than that makes just wierd unplesant noises.... so it seems like because of some strange reason the dac can't do higher sample rates than 48 khz.

maybe its my spdif converter? Specs say it should be able to do up to 24/192 but maybe thats disabled... I think about ordering a waveio and see if it works with that. Could I hook the waveio board to the power supply of the dac or is this a bad idea?

Hi xjc999

Yes I'm fine thank you, hope you're too.
Good point, SPDIF lines are Ok, double tested.
BTW let's debug somewhere else.

Describe your system.
1° - What's your setup ? PC -> SPDIF Output -> DAC ?
2° - What's your motherboard SPDIF source ? refs ?
Post pics ;)

Realtek ALC269 supports up to 24 bits 192KHz files.
3° - Have you updated W7/64 Realtek drivers ?
4° - What about it's configuration ?
Pics will help too...

Regards,
Phil

Last edited:
Hi Salas,

Nice to see you here :cool:
SMD flux only and my old 25W JBC iron.
I've replaced the tip, third time in more than 20 years ;)
No automated oven nor hot air gun.

Regards,
Phil

Attachments

• IMG_3824.JPG
    IMG_3824.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 209
May you ask also to a buddy a cd player with a 98 K hz then 192 K hz cds or streamer which also such material to eliminae the problem of knowing which device is involved (sound pc card or the Subbu) ?

With a magnyfing glass, look at micro metalic, copper wire between the pins of the chips, firstly around the spidf input vias and the W8804 chip pins.

Buzz between 2 the decoupling caps of the XO and the pins involved ?

Ah ok ! Thanks, all those acronyms are difficult to understand when you are not sharing yourself the environment where it is spoke.

It sounds odd to me the Subbu has a problem here, Korben69 perfectly knows this pcb. I bet for layout problem of the soundcards or a PS one of it,

With the stock drivers of Windows, the op should have no problem to stream via its pc cd player or hdd library a material at 24/96 to 192 on the Subbu... But who knows !

Before all investigation I will try the Subbu with another streamer and then if a default yet : inveigating on the wire+ plug from the spidf vias output of the pcb!

hi guys - just wanted to give you a short update on my situation. It looks like you were right with you suspicions about faulty wiring.
I have received my new bnc wire today and tried the dac again. Now it plays 96khz flawlessly. So i suspect when I change the internal wiring and do a better layout 192 will work just as well :) Thanks for all the help and I will let you know how everything works as soon as i find time to change it :)))