• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tape Echo, I have a Denon 3910 that I modded to export I2S (CD) and DSD (SACD) using Twisted Pear Teleporters to send and receive to my dual mono BIII. The Denon swapped R and L channels playing DSD so I used a Twisted Pear OTTO II to swap the channels before sending. It is controlled by a mechanical switch on rear of the Denon.

SQ is excellent! Sorry for the poor quality pic...

ESS and DSD

I've read the TP web page and searched and am still unsure so I'll simply ask...I've got a Buffalo IIISE, love it, building a Glassware unbalancer/broskie for it, and I'd love to tap the DSD of my Sony CE595 SACD changer and run to the Buffalo with a pair of Teleporters...BUT...the ESS spec doesn't appear to indicate that it will run in the 1-bit, 2.8MHz SACD native format. Does it? Their product brief says it's good with sampling input rates up to 1.536MHz. Or must one covert to 24/96 or higher PCM? I'll take it that would be a loss, sonically. Sorry if this has been gone over and over and over already.

My experience is that the ESS 9018 sounds even better with DSD (both DSD 64 and DSD 128) than it does with PCM. Likely because it does a bit less processing to DSD source signals (although it does do some processing to them, as do almost all DSD DACs these days).

Thank you everyone! Definitely going to do this!

There doesn't appear to be a signal path named bitclock, briefly skimming the service manual. I have found IC200, the stereo L/R DAC, to have DSD L and R, which trace back to (page 12) "DSR" and "DSL" at pins 83 and 84 of IC706, which is labelled the DSD section of the IC. The SACD section is directly below that.

Would love some direction if possible to locate the appropriate solder points on the 595 for a Teleporter :( It's beyond me.

This page post 89 has a schematic. Wouldn't LRCK be word clock BCK bit clock? Data L and R would be R and L channel DSD? It's been 4 years and I have a PCM1796 DAC chip. PCM and DSD share some pins on the 1796 so I was able to export I2S and DSD with four wires.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/206856/modding-the-sony-scd-ce595/75

Sony_SCDCE595_DAC_output_stage.gif

Last edited:
Wouldn't LRCK be word clock ....

or left right clock. IIRC you need bit clock, L and R channel for DSD and you need a ground. Fairly sure this is correct for you. IIRC DSD data 1 = DSD LEFT DSD data 2 = DSD RIGHT.

BCK > DCK
DSD1 > D1
DSD2 > D2
G > G

With the 1796, DSD and PCM share so I just needed 4 wires and a ground to export I2S and DSD.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.