• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
What I am really interested in is a BeagleBone-Black or Raspberry-PI2 I2C connection to my BIIISE for both PCM audio and control of the DAC registers, including volume and input switching. Are there any threads or documents suggesting how to actually implement this?

The documentation remains in 'early adopter' mode in the form of threads. ...perhaps because in certain areas the custom 'Botic' kernel continues to be developed. The performance of BBB/Hermes/Cronus makes the effort to explore this leading-edge very worthwhile, IMHO. ;)

Enjoy:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/272053-hermes-bbb-botic-cape-beaglebone-black.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/272007-cronus-its-about-time.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/258254-support-botic-linux-driver.html

and as background, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/250583-building-open-embedded-audio-applicance.html

Thanks for the pointers. I have been studying those threads, but there appear to be some landmines to avoid, such as the BeagleBone-Black power interruption issues. My end goal is to replace my SqueezeBox-3 with SPDIF outputs to my B3SE, with SqueezeLite, but I am having problems figuring out what I need in addition to my Buffalo-IIISE + Ivy-III.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
No problem with power interruption if using the Botic kernel. It manages orderly shutdown when Hermes is equipped with a battery. The secret sauce is the clean external clocks with the kernel switching them as needed. SqueezeLite is easy to implement on BBB with the Hermes/Cronus combo. You will need to have some comfort with Linux command line controls, but that comes without too much pain. :rolleyes: Note also: [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XQ8PNl3o7iERYWH1Wt_YRdkAPoOSF2fu3Sz4zzmaURM/edit?pli=1# You might compare Squeezelite performance using the published up sampling method with one that does not upsample - i.e. no "-u hMX" on the Squeezelite command.] As for Rhea/Cronus clock frequencies, it is personal preference depending on the input rates you want to support.

Overall, basic implementations are well supported and Miero remains hard at work extending the capabilities of the Botic kernel. It's a stimulating environment for experimentation and personal customization. The capabilities of BBB-based implementations will surely increase over time and the ES9018 DACs will likely benefit most from that development.

I suggest moving further questions/discussion to one of the other threads...

Last edited:
I'm planning for a dual mono build with BIIIse and I want to plan the wiring out before I start it. My question is what is the best way to have two I2s and one spdif input? Then, how should I wire it?

It looks to me like the Otto II can handle the I2s and the spdif can just connect right to the dacs and I use the ips switch to go back and forth between I2s and spdif. Then I wire up another switch to control the two different I2s feeds.

So if I understand correctly I would install two teleporters (one for each source). Connect them to each input of the Otto II. Connect the Otto II output to both dacs using the wire headers with a connection from the Otto II to each dac (less than 4 inches). Then connect the spdif to the first dac and then daisy chain it to the second. Is this correct?

Lastly if I wanted two spdif connections what is the best way to add that?

I have a setup following a dsp that looks like this. The master volume is done by
use of one linear pot connected as shown in the picture.
I'm wondering if it would work to ad trim potentiometers to each channel to
be able to make individual adjustments of output level ?

If so, to wish pin should the trim potentiometers connect ?

If this will not work, would it be possible to make the idea work using a 4-gang master volume pot instead ?

individual_adjust.png

You should use only one 3.3V connection, not all three. That is putting the voltage regulators of all three DACs in parallel. The 3.3V represents the maximum level signal to the ADC on the uC (RED).

Additionally, you should only use one ground connection, and tie the three DAC grounds together at the supplies. This will prevent forming ground loops. This will give all three ADCs a common ground reference. (GREEN)

Now, for the trimmers...

Use the output of the master volume as the "max level" for each trimmer (BLUE). Then feed the output of each trimmer to the DAC boards (ORANGE).

The effect will be a single master volume, with three individual trimmers that will provide limiting adjustment for each DAC. Full setting on each trimmer will equate to the master level.

Attachments

• individual_adjust.png
    individual_adjust.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Hello,

I also want to build my first DAC now. Before I order the parts from, however, I wanted to be sure that nothing is missing from twisted pear audio. I want to run an BuffaloIIISE at a BeagleBone Black with the Hermes and Chronus boards. Here is my list so far:

1x Buffalo-IIISE 2-Channel DAC - $379
1x Placid HD 2.1 Power Supply Kit - $60
1x 9V+9V (30VA) Power Transformer -$23
1x Hermes-BBB Isolator Module - $55
1x Cronus Re-clocking Module with 45.1584/49.152MHz Rhea Pair - $130
1x IVY-III Kit + One Placid HD BP Kit Combo - $169
1x 15V+15V (50VA) Power Transformer - $27

Is there anything missing or something you would recommend for a first build?

Besides, I think I once stumbled upon a post stating that its best to stream the music to the BeagleBone Black over WiFi instead of attaching an harddrive via usb and to control it over WiFi instead over Ethernet in order to keep the data bus free or something? Any truth in that? Since I wanted to attach an SSD with the music via usb to the BeagleBone Black and control it over ethernet :)

Thanks!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello,

Besides, I think I once stumbled upon a post stating that its best to stream the music to the BeagleBone Black over WiFi instead of attaching an harddrive via usb and to control it over WiFi instead over Ethernet in order to keep the data bus free or something? Any truth in that? Since I wanted to attach an SSD with the music via usb to the BeagleBone Black and control it over ethernet :)

Thanks!

Just planning a Buffalo myself, so I won't address your first part. I have heard about not using the USB for both connection to an external disk and the computer source. More commonly sharing a USB root on a computer for a USB disk, and the USB DAC. Your setup will be I2S from the computer (BBB) to the DAC. If you wanted to mount a USB disk n your BBB, I don't see a conflict.

Then you can consider whether network connection is best with wired vs wireless. Proponents each way, hash on wired, or fuzz from the wireless. I'm sure it depends your particular network environment. I try for wired myself.

I hope to use my BBB/Buffalo as a Roon endpoint for my system.

I've read the TP web page and searched and am still unsure so I'll simply ask...I've got a Buffalo IIISE, love it, building a Glassware unbalancer/broskie for it, and I'd love to tap the DSD of my Sony CE595 SACD changer and run to the Buffalo with a pair of Teleporters...BUT...the ESS spec doesn't appear to indicate that it will run in the 1-bit, 2.8MHz SACD native format. Does it? Their product brief says it's good with sampling input rates up to 1.536MHz. Or must one covert to 24/96 or higher PCM? I'll take it that would be a loss, sonically. Sorry if this has been gone over and over and over already.

Yes - it will very definitely play standard DSD - in fact one of my first projects was using a Buffalo with a Denon SACD player. It worked flawlessly - and I now play DSD all the time via BBB and other sources. Just wire the bit clock D1 and D2 (Left and Right channels - but some players swap these - you will need to check that for yourself - play a test track)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.