• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well...

I have read the manual, but I still want to ask how sensitive is the board to supply voltage.
Can it work with a 6V battery?

This is not as simple a question as you might think. A "6 volt" battery does not always supply 6 volts. With a full charge a battery will supply somewhat over its nominal voltage (how much will depend on the type of battery and its condition), and as it discharges the voltage will drop. To have a complete answer to your question, you will need to test the battery and record its real voltage under load, and see what its voltage range is from a full charge to its (nearly) discharged state. Once you know the range of voltages output by your battery, then you will need to ask what voltage range the onboard regulators will work with.

If you are using v3 Tridents and v2.1 AVCC, you can use a 6V supply without issues.

Brian is correct, and even a bit above that is ok. I would not exceed 6.25V without keeping a close eye on the AVCC module, it's shunting a lot of current.

As Barrows said - Make sure you take into account your peak voltage - which is often much higher than the nominal voltage.

After several unsuccessful attempts to get WaveIO connected directly to my Buffalo 3 DAC by means of an I2S connection, here my call for help.

What I am using right now is my music server connected by USB to WaveIO, then WaveIO S/PDIF out connected to S/PDIF-4 input board that is connected directly to Buffalo 3 (no Sidecar). This combination is playing fine for several months.

Since I only need one digital input and I believe in less is more, I tried to connect the I2S output of WaveIO directly to the Buffalo3 board, which should be possible as far as I understand.

I have placed the jumpers JPCM1, JPCM2 and JPCM3 and connected WaveIO directly to Buffalo 3 Digital Input Connector DCK, D1 and D2. Also tried SW2-5 in both positions. Also tried both non isolated and isolated outputs of WaveIO using an additional 3.3V power source to power the optical isolator. In all of these situations no sound at all from Buffalo 3 (but S/PDIF is playing fine).

Any ideas? What have I missed or what am I doing wrong?

Peter

Last edited:
Even with bad I2S connection the LED lock should blink, so I'd try to check if the WaveIO is transmitting...

You might try to measure voltage and frequency between the GND and LR output. There should be waveform with audio frequency, e.g. 44100Hz - measurable with better multimeter.

For checking other outputs you need to use an oscilloscope, because the frequency is in the megahertz range.

I have measured the signals, coming from the isolated I2S output of WaveIO, on the Digital Input Connector of B3 with an oscilloscope, and this is what I measure:
Pin 1 DCK: TTL level music data (no signal when music is in pause) (BC pin of WaveIO)
Pin 2 D1: TTL level clock 44.1 kHz (LR pin of WaveIO)
Pin 3 D2: TTL level clock about 6.25 MHz (DT pin of WaveIO)
Lock LED is constantly on.
But still, no music at all……

Then I went the trail and error route and tried this:
Pin 1 DCK: TTL level clock about 6.25 MHz
Pin 2 D1: TTL level clock 44.1 kHz
Pin 3 D2: TTL level music data (no signal when music is in pause)
Lock LED is off and MUTE LED is constantly on. So: no sound.

Third attempt, who cares?:
Pin 1 DCK: TTL level clock 44.1 kHz
Pin 2 D1: TTL level clock about 6.25 MHz
Pin 3 D2: TTL level music data (no signal when music is in pause)
Sometimes lock LED on and very distorted, almost unrecognisable, music or digital noise.

What am I doing wrong? Where is my error?

Peter

Hi Miero,

Thanks again for your reply!!

I see now that I did a miscalculation. 6.25MHz is in reality 2.8MHz (1.8div x 0.2uS = 0.36uS => 2.8MHz).

What you describe/advise is what I tried in my second attempt. The situation in which the Lock LED was constantly off and MUTE was on.

What can cause that?

Peter

I didn't see a cleat answer to the ground question...

When using the non-isolated outputs, you need to connect the WaveIO ground to Buffalo ground.

When using the isolated outputs, the Ground from the output side of the isolator must be connected to the Buffalo. If you are using the Buffalo to power the isolator, this is already taken care of. If you are using a separate supply, however, its ground needs to be connected to the Buffalo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.