• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AC2

We have the AC2 out to some beta testers at the moment. :)

Giving it a shake down. :D

Hi Folks,

I recently ordered a BIII with the intent of building a USB I2S 8 channel DAC for a JRiver HTPC. I am currently on page 48 of this thread but thought I would ask:

1. What are folks using for the USB I2S interface? Is TPA developing one?

2. Is the AC2 near completion?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Folks,

I recently ordered a BIII with the intent of building a USB I2S 8 channel DAC for a JRiver HTPC. I am currently on page 48 of this thread but thought I would ask:

1. What are folks using for the USB I2S interface? Is TPA developing one?

2. Is the AC2 near completion?

Thanks,
Mike

1. Amanero USB, I think there is still a GB going on here at diyAudio, I have two and they seem to be very good, will play any frequency you (or I) can think of.

Batteries aren't stable. When fully charged, the voltage will be above the nominal value and when discharging it'll drop gradually till they are almost empty, after which the voltage will drop very fast. Because of this behaviour, you'll want regulators behind them, and with Lipo also a protection against deep-discharge.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The discharge rate of a LiIon/Lipo battery is quite constant for an enough long period of use, if the capacity (A/h) is enough high for the delivered/needed current. I think nobody will have on a DAC to listen it for days, continuous. Few hour listening/use is reasonable. This time it can be covered very well of a large capacity battery, and the discharge rate variation it may be in teens mV range, in such case. Then charge it up while the system is off. One may know that a LiIon/Lipo battery completely charged have a 4,xV, and keep this tension with small variations quite long discharging time ...
Experienced with different batteries capacities for the average time of DAC system, or its components use, regarding the current needed, it may give at last a good battery solution.
Alternative to battery use is in my opinion the very large decoupling capacities at the chip power pins and voltage regulators.

Last edited:
I used to use a 6.4V lifepo4 battery to power my Ian's FIFO.
I did notice the charger came with it is rated 7.3 and a full charge gets my battery to 7.1. It will drop to 6.7 petty fast and slowly discharging.
I would like to see a active battery manage system with two batteries which disconnect/charge batteries when it's out of voltage range.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I also think that powering some DAC components/rails/clock from battery is a very promising idea.
A battery manage system it may not be a challenge, but someone it may start to work on this...
In mean while a large battery capacity regarding the needed discharging current it can provide very well a constant power for many hours of use. I already use a 3A/h LiIon battery on a 40mA circuit. I have a drop of no more than 20-30mV on teens of functional hours without charging.
To days mobile phones batteries with many A/h capacity are a very good solution for those who want to go/try this way...

Last edited:
My BII consumes nearly 10x this much current for the DAC board.
I also think that powering some DAC components/rails/clock from battery is a very promising idea.
A battery manage system it may not be a challenge, but someone it may start to work on this...
In mean while a large battery capacity regarding the needed discharging current it can provide very well a constant power for many hours of use. I already use a 3A/h LiIon battery on a 40mA circuit. I have a drop of no more than 20-30mV on teens of functional hours without charging.
To days mobile phones batteries with many A/h capacity are a very good solution for those who want to go/try this way...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.