• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cantskienuf said:
I have a power transformer question. I ordered the Buffalo, Ivy, LCDP & LCBP combo. I see that Twisted Pear sells 15v transformers for use with the kits, and that seems to make sense to me for the LCBP/Ivy requirement of +-15v, but I'm wondering about the optimum sizing for the LCDP to be used with the Buffalo. Since I'm looking for 6VDC on the VD and 6.6VDC on the VA, wouldn't a 15v transformer be causing the regs to burn off quite a bit of voltage as heat? Once I decide on sizing, would there be any benefit to using separate transformers on each AC input for the LCDP?

It is a good question, but you have to remember the the LCDPS has a CLRC front end. That "R" can create as much as 4-5V drop at the loads the Buffalo presents.

I would not use a 6V trafo unless you remove/jumper the "R" in the CLRC :)

A 12-15V trafo works just great! :)

Cheers!
Russ

cantskienuf said:
Thanks Russ. I had seen previous threads about not sharing traffos between LCDP and LCBP, but just wasn't sure if VA and VD benefited from separate transormers when run through the LCDP. I've got a 2 x 9v 20VA that I'm thinking of trying. Sound like enough?

Separate secondaries is just fine. No need or fully separate trafos.

Yes a dual 9V secondary trafo should work just fine. :)

Cheers!
Russ

BrianDonegan said:

There are a couple things happening causing the delay:

I just switched hosting companies, so waiting for DNS records to get updated so everyone is seeing the correct web site.

There were lots of things ordered along with the Buffalo, so I am taking stock and amending what I still have available on hand.

I have emails from a few people asking for items to be added to their orders, and I promise I will respond to you as soon as possible (today most likely).

brian,

do I have time to add something to my order - to save on postage ? I can order new stuff today if u can combine the orders - probably just a USB board

R-core vs. toroidal?

Russ (or anyone else), I saw an earlier post where you ok'd the usage of a particular R-core transformer; can't relocate the post though, sorry. I am thinking of using R-cores as well, to power LCDPS (to Buffalo) + LCBPS (to IVY)...had some more general questions:

1) In theory, can a single R-core work where two toroidals are required? Or will this cause the ground loop problem? I am having a hard time evaluating the multi-secondary configuration of the R-cores...for example...can the R26-14 below, with 4 secondaries, power both an LCDPS and an LCBPS?

2) What is the danger in using transformers that provide a greater than spec'ed voltage or current?

3) What are the current and voltage requirements for the LCDPS (connected to Buffalo) and LCBPS (connected to IVY) under max load?

I'm looking at these transformers in particular (all 50W), with the following secondary configurations:

R26-28: 0-12V @ 1.2A (x2); 0-9V @ 1.2A (x2)
R26-22: 0-18V @ 1.75A (x2)
R26-14: 0-18V @ 1A (x4)
R26-11: 0-12V @ 0.78A (x2); 0-15V @ 0.78A (x2)

Are all these usable? Comments on which is the best selection? My uninformed choice is that R26-22 can serve the same as TPA's 15VA 0-15V (x2) stock toroidal transformer, but is beefier.

I recognize toroidal transformers are easy to use here, given the mains filtering on the power supplies and the simple configuration required. But the cost to try R-core is approximately equal...and it seems to have advantages w.r.t 60Hz noise and stray field emissions/case placement/etc. Hey, this is DIY, experimentation is encouraged, right? ;-)

When supplying a different voltage than specified (say supplying 18V where 15V is spec'ed)...do I need to modify anything on the LCDPS or LCBPS?

Thanks!

(Apologies for the newbie questions...am trying to absorb info quickly, but reliable sources for (low current) transformer selection have eluded me)

Re: R-core vs. toroidal?

Digitalscrap said:
Russ (or anyone else), I saw an earlier post where you ok'd the usage of a particular R-core transformer; can't relocate the post though, sorry. I am thinking of using R-cores as well, to power LCDPS (to Buffalo) + LCBPS (to IVY)...had some more general questions:

1) In theory, can a single R-core work where two toroidals are required? Or will this cause the ground loop problem? I am having a hard time evaluating the multi-secondary configuration of the R-cores...for example...can the R26-14 below, with 4 secondaries, power both an LCDPS and an LCBPS?

2) What is the danger in using transformers that provide a greater than spec'ed voltage or current?

3) What are the current and voltage requirements for the LCDPS (connected to Buffalo) and LCBPS (connected to IVY) under max load?

I'm looking at these transformers in particular (all 50W), with the following secondary configurations:

R26-28: 0-12V @ 1.2A (x2); 0-9V @ 1.2A (x2)
R26-22: 0-18V @ 1.75A (x2)
R26-14: 0-18V @ 1A (x4)
R26-11: 0-12V @ 0.78A (x2); 0-15V @ 0.78A (x2)

Are all these usable? Comments on which is the best selection? My uninformed choice is that R26-22 can serve the same as TPA's 15VA 0-15V (x2) stock toroidal transformer, but is beefier.

I recognize toroidal transformers are easy to use here, given the mains filtering on the power supplies and the simple configuration required. But the cost to try R-core is approximately equal...and it seems to have advantages w.r.t 60Hz noise and stray field emissions/case placement/etc. Hey, this is DIY, experimentation is encouraged, right? ;-)

When supplying a different voltage than specified (say supplying 18V where 15V is spec'ed)...do I need to modify anything on the LCDPS or LCBPS?

Thanks!

(Apologies for the newbie questions...am trying to absorb info quickly, but reliable sources for (low current) transformer selection have eluded me)

All that really matters if you want both an LCBPS and an LCDPS is that you have 4 secondaries at 9-15V that can do at least say .4A each. It does not really matter if those come from one transformer or two, or even 4(single secondary).

R26-11 looks like a likely candidate in your list.

Cheers!
Russ

1) It's not really a question of R-Core vs Toroidal, but dual secondary vs quad secondary. You can use any transformer type, either 2 dual secondary or one quad secondary. Of the ones listed, I would use R26-28 or R26-11.

2) Using too high of a voltage will create more heat from the vregs. There is no downside of having too high of a current rating.

3) 18V secondaries are too high. I would use R26-28, running the IVY with the 12V secondaries (regulated output set to +-12VDC) and the 9V for Buffalo, or the R26-11, 15V secondaries for IVY @ +-15VDC and 12V secondaries for Buffalo.

Are there any suggestions for the +5V and -12V needed to run the TOSLINK Module? I guess I could probably grab a leg off the transformer for the LCDPS and run it through a regulator to get the +5 volts. Does that sound like a bad idea for any reason? Would there be a preferance as to whether I shared the secondary with VA or VD? I guess I can probably Google-around to find a negative regulator and run that from a separate traffo, or buy another LCBPS, but that seems a bit of overkill, or is it?

Are there any suggestions for the +5V and -12V needed to run the TOSLINK Module? I guess I could probably grab a leg off the transformer for the LCDPS and run it through a regulator to get the +5 volts. Does that sound like a bad idea for any reason? Would there be a preferance as to whether I shared the secondary with VA or VD? I guess I can probably Google-around to find a negative regulator and run that from a separate traffo, or buy another LCBPS, but that seems a bit of overkill, or is it?

??

You only need a 5V supply. I think the page says 5-12V, meaning between 5V and 12V.

Here's the Volumite board. 1" x 1.3"

volumite_layout.jpg

SPDIF MUX is tested and working, but there is one small error on the this first run PCBs which requires you to install a small wire jumper if you want your "LOCK" LED to work. :)

Luckily there is a pad right next to the LED pad which you can bridge to connect it to GND. This will make the LED light happily when the signal locks. I will post pic of it later.

The circuit itself functions wonderfully. I am using it right now.

We will probably make this run of boards available to anyone who wants them very soon. I think there are 20 or so left. Not sure.

The MUX allows 4 inputs 3 can be standard consumer SPDIF and one AES. :)

The output is both SPDIF and I2S.

There is a 4 pos DIP for selecting various settings for the CS8416.

I will get a manual done for it soon.

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Thanks for the info...

boudy said:
Somewhere along the line I got the impression that you guys were working on an IR controller for the Buffalo.

That's the AC1, it is quite a lot more complex. :)

The Volumite is intended for those folks who just want a simple inexpensive knob volume control. The Volumite can have firmware for Opus, Joshua Tree, or Buffalo(or anything else that can be controlled via I2C).

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.