• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rbrockman said:
Buffalo is on it's way!!

Now I need to find a case......

Yes... I know it's probably been said... but what's the dimensions of the boards? Do the Buffalo and the LCDS have the same dimensions and are stackable? I'd like to try a smaller case.

I searched over the Buffalo documentation, didn't see it, and there's a lotta posts on these threads to go thru...

Volume control?

I've seen a few references to the ability of the Sabre DAC to do digital volume control.

Can anyone point me to more information on this? I would assume the control is a via a digital input?

I am using a transport with both SPDIF and analog out. I'm wondering about transmitting the transport music signal via SPDIF and the volume "request" to the DAC via the transport analog output, even if this requires another A/D to get the signal in the proper format.

Has anyone explored anything similar?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Uhm... is it sold out again? Says "out of stock out of stock out of stock" and that it's "On Sale Now".

Sorry for the confusion on the site right now. It's in a state where if I upload any code changes, the whole site craps out. Supposedly, it will be in a normal state by Monday night (my time). We shall see.

As soon as I have control over the site again, I am exporting my database and moving to a new hosting company. There may be a hickup coming up where the page is unavailable during this transfer, but I will post news about that before it happens.

Re: Volume control?

rbrockman said:
I've seen a few references to the ability of the Sabre DAC to do digital volume control.

Can anyone point me to more information on this? I would assume the control is a via a digital input?

I am using a transport with both SPDIF and analog out. I'm wondering about transmitting the transport music signal via SPDIF and the volume "request" to the DAC via the transport analog output, even if this requires another A/D to get the signal in the proper format.

Has anyone explored anything similar?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

This is a complicated subject. Yes the Sabre chip and the buffalo support digital volume control. Yes is can be done pretty easily. Yes we will have a cool little gizmo to support it with minumal headache from anyone who wants it.

I have a working prototype, it just a matter of getting it done and out there for you folks. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Yes we will have a cool little gizmo to support it with minumal headache from anyone who wants it. I have a working prototype, it just a matter of getting it done and out there for you folks.

Hey,

Any idea what the footprint will be so that I can allocate adequate space? I'm in the process of laying out the chassis that will contain the Buffalo and I/V.

Will there be a display as well?

Thanks.

I put my buffalo (LCBPS, LCDPS, Buffalo, IVY) in a 1u rack mount case - so about 30mm high - but I did need to grind a bit of the standoffs on the power supplies so that the heatsinks didn't touch the case. IIRC, the standoffs ended up at about 7mm height - that would mean that the PS height is about 25mm or so. Ivy and buffalo are lower than this.

Fran

Re: Re: Volume control?

Russ White said:
This is a complicated subject. Yes the Sabre chip and the buffalo support digital volume control. Yes is can be done pretty easily.

For the buffalo, I think I read that volume control would be possible through I2C communication. Is this correct? What I found on I2C is that there are different implementations, both in the communication protocols as well as electrical setup (e.g. 3.3V vs 5V). Mr. White shared a piece of code for a PIC implementation in one of the threads, but it did not answer all my questions.

Is there some more info available on how to implement volume control on the buffalo? Perhaps a piece of the Sabre manual with specs? :clown:

Russ i have email Twisted Audio a couple times now and i seem to be getting no response about my order.Are you guys just really busy trying to getting the orders out.I'm trying to add to the order so that i can save on shipping.

There are a couple things happening causing the delay:

I just switched hosting companies, so waiting for DNS records to get updated so everyone is seeing the correct web site.

There were lots of things ordered along with the Buffalo, so I am taking stock and amending what I still have available on hand.

I have emails from a few people asking for items to be added to their orders, and I promise I will respond to you as soon as possible (today most likely).

I have a power transformer question. I ordered the Buffalo, Ivy, LCDP & LCBP combo. I see that Twisted Pear sells 15v transformers for use with the kits, and that seems to make sense to me for the LCBP/Ivy requirement of +-15v, but I'm wondering about the optimum sizing for the LCDP to be used with the Buffalo. Since I'm looking for 6VDC on the VD and 6.6VDC on the VA, wouldn't a 15v transformer be causing the regs to burn off quite a bit of voltage as heat? Once I decide on sizing, would there be any benefit to using separate transformers on each AC input for the LCDP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.