• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

BTSB with Tube Buffer - HyperSET GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This might work

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mONUpgo

1680691660339.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2014
Paid Member
That’s a bit small X, not enough room to fit an input selection board and front panel selector switch and volume pot.
Speaking of volume pot, it would be nice if the accessory pcb would accommodate and ALPS RK27 pot instead of the RK09.
I’m sure Plott will WOW with his chassis choice like he’s done in past builds 🤩.

Reactions: 1 users
Plott,

Looking forward to your build execution, I’m sure it will be marvelous.

• Designed for E88CC/6DJ8 or Russian NOS 6N1P. Comes with matched pair of NOS 6N1P (best sounding IMO).
  • Selectable gains via DIP switch: 0/6/14/20dB other values also possible with user mods of resistor loads.

I would love to build this thing, although I will use it exclusively as a ‘gain’ stage specifically to pair with power followers like balanced F4 and the like. I have a few 6N1P‘s and several pairs of NOS 6922/6DJ8/6N23P etc…

No complications like a volume control or source selector since my system is entirely digital. My volume control is intrinsic to HQPlayer/Roon combination and since the volume control is at least 64 bit in execution, there isn’t any loss in sound quality. I’ve done these comparisons with the best volume control I know of, which is a TAPX unit with (4) silver autoformers (at least $1K per autoformer). The difference in sound quality, staging, imaging, etc…was subtle. So I switched immediately. That being said, the TAPX was truly excellent.

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That’s a bit small X, not enough room to fit an input selection board and front panel selector switch and volume pot.
Speaking of volume pot, it would be nice if the accessory pcb would accommodate and ALPS RK27 pot instead of the RK09.
I’m sure Plott will WOW with his chassis choice like he’s done in past builds 🤩.
Maybe this one? It has holes for banana but could change that to RCA’s? The selector knob can go where the LED hole is on the left.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMacyna

1680701594180.jpeg

@Studley

Did you click on my link above (HQ Player/Roon combination)? It goes to the Audiocircle thread where I describe the digital front end of my system. In addition, Audiocircle member WGH has written quite a bit about it. I haven’t written any extensive ‘subjective’ commentary though. The only thing I can say is, it is the cleanest most analog digital I have heard and the fact that your can try multiple different digital filters is a nice tweak. There are several threads on this and about this on the Audiophilestyle forums. HQ player is extremely powerful but it requires the user to purchase a license. In addition, to get the best out of HQ Player, you should build yourself a decent server (which is detailed in the link above). Chris Connaker who is the proprietor of Audiophilestyle forum is also extremely knowledgeable on cutting edge digital.

For me, the reason for all this is simple. You can’t get back what you already don’t have. In other words, I wanted a server, streamer and DAC that dug as deep as possible in resolution as well as detail for my diy amp building hobby. I know there are loads of folks who are happy with a $200 laptop running Foobar and that’s totally cool. Not me…I’m on the lunatic fringe and I admit I have the disease.

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hi X, is my assumption correct that the (light) input board is only responsible for switching between SE and XLR or is it an SE/XLR converter too? Does the tube board always get balanced signal or does it depend on what input type I use? I would install 4 inputs, two RCA and 2 XLR, and switch between the inputs via relais. Can I feed the tube board with an SE signal too, with grounding of the "cold" side? Thanks in advance.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The “BTSB Lite” only switches between SE and balanced (XLR/TRS) and the BTSB does the conversion.

1646154807123-jpeg.1030332

The switching is sensed by presence of a plug in the XLR or TRS jack and is “balanced priority”. That is, if there is an RCA connected, it will disconnect the RCA and go only to the balanced input. If you want to use the SE RCA, you must disconnect the plug from the XLR/TRS jack.

It is auto switching so no manual toggle or button. Only way to get RCA is to remove balanced connector.

IMG_4625.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user