• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

BTSB with Tube Buffer - HyperSET GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Edit May 17, 2023: price drop to $295 in hopes of getting more interest.

I have had many requests to offer the BTSB with a tube interstage buffer - aka, the HyperSET in my shop. It is basically a BTSB in functionality with a SET tube buffer in between the input balanced line receiver opamps and the output balanced line ldriver opamps with DIP switch selectable gain.

5086E9B1-448F-4E02-B779-44DA66317EE1.jpeg

Key features include:
  • Main topology is similar to BTSB Panel Mount buffer. Plus SET tube buffer after the input balanced receiver.
  • Remote power/standby via low level logic signals suitable for front panel switches or microcontrollers for activation.
  • Open collector logic output with delay for graceful amp startup and shutdown without pop. This can be interfaced to amps like IcePower for standby/mute control.
  • All solid state relays (SSR) for power on and standby.
  • SSRs for anti thump control of signal during power up and instant off.
  • Optional connection to a dual gang volume pot via MicroMatch connector and ribbon cable so that it can become a standalone preamp. Helper PCB for Alps RK09 style pot is included.
  • Remote switch to activate relay to bypass the SET tube stage for a direct all solid state path (same as BTSB).
  • Connector for 6.3vdc output that is switched with remote enable to power accessories like LED lighting for meters or indicators.
  • The tube sockets have a built in orange LED to indicate that the filament heaters are active.
  • All voltages derive from single 12v input using state of the art custom DCDC converters to provide: 90v B+, 6.3v filament, 5v digital logic, and +/-15v analog opamp rails.
  • State of the art SMT construction where practical. Through hole parts where needed such as electrolytic or film caps etc.
  • Designed for E88CC/6DJ8 or Russian NOS 6N1P. Comes with matched pair of NOS 6N1P (best sounding IMO).
  • Selectable gains via DIP switch: 0/6/14/20dB other values also possible with user mods of resistor loads.
  • All connections are Molex KK 2 or 3 pin for easy integration into your project.
  • Recommend a 12v minimum 1000mA power supply. Class 2 linear wall wart is ideal. SMPS supplies at 12v can also work but I recommend at least 2A to prevent startup hiccup.
Here is a schematic of the SET interstage buffer:
1678456233337.jpeg

The HyperSET can form the basis of a very transparent and gorgeous sounding preamp project - or it can be integrated as a front end for any amplifier to allow it to receive balanced or single ended input and it can drive balanced and single ended output (in parallel). This means that it has the ability to drive secondary outputs for a subwoofer amp etc. the balanced output stage is an OPA1637 which permits outputs as high as 52Vpp in balanced mode and the single ended outputs are provided by an OPA1642 - the class leading audio opamp for low noise, powerful drive and beautiful sound.

If one adds a panel mount BTSB Lite PCB to this project, you will have a nice combo XLR/TRS and RCA input jack that is easy to mount to any project panel. It includes an auto switching relay to disconnect the RCA if a plug is detected in the balanced input. Perfect accessory for the HyperSET. These PCBs are available in my shop - you can assemble them yourself as they are easy to make.

1678455273569.jpeg

The HyperSET will be offered as a ready to run (RTR) fully tested and functional board complete with NOS 6N1P. The boards are professionally assembled with state of the art pick and place machines.

I would like to see if there is enough interest in a Group Buy production run. This is a very complex board with more than 300 components so it’s not really a DIY type project for the novice to be built from scratch. The components are all top quality and sourced from Mouser or other reputable source. Tubes are matched Russian NOS 6N1P.

A big thanks to Jhofland for the wonderful design.

Photos below. Last photo shows PCBA with a small breakaway helper PCB for the volume pot and ribbon connector.

64E53855-99CC-484B-9654-B22942BBCBC1.jpeg

1678454250957.jpeg

Here is a QuickStart diagram:
img_5522-jpeg.1187920

Price is $325 ea. includes a complete set of 12 Molex KK (2/3 pin) connectors. Available for immediate delivery in my shop:

https://xrkaudio.etsy.com/listing/1474151499

Name / Qnty / Country

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks, Studley!

Anand,
Let me think about it. It’s such a complex build with lots of parts - I think you might be one of a handful of people interested and capable of doing it. Vunce built the first couple of revisions for me and he said it was hard going. You will need a proper solder paste dispensing tool. A plain syringe will result in hand cramps. 😅

X,

No worries. I already have a boatload of projects (I have the Vunce syndrome apparently). With the HyperSET I was just going to divide it up into quadrants which is pretty much what I did with my BTSB builds (5 of them I think). It’ll probably take me several weekends as I am in no rush. This isn’t production for me, just interest. I won’t hold you responsible for screwups! And I won’t get to it for a while, perhaps summer 2023!

This could be the ticket for a full ‘integrated’ F4 for example. Differential input - Tube interstage - SE or Differential output with option for either SE input F4 design or Fully balanced F4 monoblocks (i.e. 2 F4 boards per monoblock). The HyperSET could sit in its own slim enclosure as the ‘VaS‘ stage with either a volume control or not. It would definitely be a fine sounding amp with a touch of 2nd harmonic sweetness and tube rolling to boot.

Too bad you guys couldn’t implement an octal 6SN7 or similar but then again, there are really not a lot of tubes that can utilize a B+ of 90V (perhaps the 6GM8, etc…). I realize octals and large glass envelope based tubes are a no go, their B+ needs are high and filament currents are high as well.

P.S. Did you get my order for the All Cee’s Supply?

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Anand,
Your All Cee’s order ships today. Sorry I could not get to it sooner. It’s been a busy week. You had a question about use of Fastons. Yes, regular blade Fastons are compatible and that’s exactly what I use.

There is going to be some more time in any case because I still need to get enough interest in this as a RTR product. I think I can do it with 5 pledges of interest.