Bose humor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jmikes said:

Which reminds me . . . has anyone mentioned to the guys with big wings on their Civics that such a setup can have serious ramifications for steering and traction in high speed turns? As in, understeering into the guardrail?

For some quality pictures of automotive atrocities:

www.riceboypage.com

Quoted from the site:

Why do you keep this page up/What is the point? - There are several reasons this page exists, and continues to exist. Here they are, more or less in order of importance:

This page is supposed to be funny, and in my opinion (and thousands of others), it is. [...]

I am Asian, and Asian Rice-Boys make Asians in general look bad. Contrary to what the average Asian rice-boy believes, rice-boys are a very small minority among the population of Asian Americans. Most Asians, in fact, think that rice-boys look and act stupid. [...]

Rice-Boys make real import enthusiasts look bad. Why do the true Honda enthusiasts get so little respect from the big American Muscle crowd? Part of it, yes, is due to ignorance on the account of "V8-boy". But a bigger part of it is the fact that there are so many wannabe and fake Civics driving around, that you can just about bet that the guy in the "fixed up" Civic next to you has a slow car.

"And what has natural selection to do with Bose buyers ????

Regards

Charles"

I'd say the answer is obvious. The ghost of Darwin reaches into their wallet and relieves them of their cash.
Two further comments:
--I remember when the 901 first came out. It was pathetic even then. I remember hearing Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and wondering where all the "heartbeat" bass went. Oh, and that ghastly 1801 (is that the right model number?) amp they sold for a while. Ugh! There are quite a few people who can 'snark' from experience with the 901s. It's a loser design with a great marketing plan. Get over it.
--There is no doubt in my mind that the majority of people can hear a difference in high fidelity reproduction. But as someone observed above, they simply don't care. Once upon a time, people--or at least a larger percentage of them--gave a rip about sound quality. Now we live in an era where people bought into the phrase "Pure, Perfect Sound Forever" long before Red Book digital was ready to take the mantle from the LP, and now we have such marvelous technological advances as downloaded MP3 files. And people confuse this with progress?
Do you realize how few people have ever heard a decent system?
Granted, the economy is not doing well, but overall the per capita income is still better than it was in, say, the '60s, and yet people then saved and scrimped in order to buy Marantz and McIntosh and such. They knew. They cared. They endured privations in order to gather the money to buy things that were hideously expensive in real 1960s dollars to them (bear also in mind that many households then were single wage-earner, not dual like now). Many people now have the means to easily buy a pretty decent system, yet they buy mid- or (gasp!) low-fi.
Quality as a criterion for ownership is no longer as important to the majority of people. Yes, there are some. I even know a few. But not one serious listener that I know confuses a boom-boom AV system with high quality sound. Yet it's the boom-boom that sells.

Grey

I think i have to agree - when i remember my first revox A 77 cost me a 1400 deutsch marks - 325$ in 1968. That was a full month wage.
My transcriptors - still running today in my system - cost 1200 DM in 69. Same thing. Those two - at todays price about 4500$ each - the price of a decent complete system nowadays. Or 10 low fi home theatre systems.

I wanted to say thanks for the past 20 minutes of humor.

I now have a new favorite car ;)
double_decker_civic.jpg
The text on the site is, "The more the better" Boy those spoilers are great.

I'm 17 (yes I have a sub in my trunk, no its a custom box for my eD 13kv.2 not for floppy loose bass) and there are a few rice burners at my school. A personal favorite, is a 2door Camry, small spoiler (erector set style) and a big coffe' cup muffler, favorite part is the muffler hangs down really low so you can see the exhaust pipe (here it is) it is the smallest thing ever, approve 4cm in diameter. Pretty much he paid for the farting noise going down the road with almost no performance upgrade. I work for a mehanic, surprisingly we work on mainly japanesse cars, my boss is an ex-Honda engineer and he loves to make fun of ricers with me.

And I had to show a few friends with the accoustamas system the website too.

Thanks,

Josh

Agree on the trends.

Grey, I fully agree. I refer to it as "grocery market stereo". I had a shop for ten years and tried to educate the public on the differences between junk and "real" audio gear. I had a faithful group of high end users that came to me but, there were not enough of them. Most people were more interested in the "KPD" factor (knobs per dollar). This is why there are only two HiFi stores in my city of 1.8 million people. The others went out of business.
I also gave up on trying to explain r.m.s. power ratings to the car audio crowd. I would offer to bring them to my bench and prove the lies in the industry. They were more trusting of the big numbers emblazoned on the cheap amps the big stores were selling. I called this the "ILS" rating (if lightning strikes). Where was the FCC or the FTC during all this?
I was very saddend by the demise of the Heathkit company. I learned a lot of what I know because of them. I now watch with disdain as companies that used to have exclusive dealers are whoring product out to anybody who will sell it. :bawling:
I am slowly educating my sons on the art of sound reproduction. I cannot listen to MP3 files as they sound chopped up to me. They are using them in portable D.J. systems and skate rinks around here. It may be a lot more convenient but it sounds like @#%&! I hooked up my equipment in the basement and played Dark Side Of The Moon for my boys. They had never heard anything like it! My older son is now building his own system using my amp designs and some raw drivers I saved from my store just for this reason. Mabey a grass roots start can get things back on track.
Another thread like this one: What does THX certified really mean?
OK, off my soapbox for a while. Regards, Steve

hmmm THX The Horrible Xover???

i rekon it's a scam so that george lucas can make money for his starwars movies and to pay off his debt on his house :D

lol i thought my uncles bose system was the beast and sounded awesome till he gave me a pair of JBL LE8T signature series in T-line boxes from a studio. i loved the sound of them!! bose can kiss my ****!! and so can sony!!!

im only 20 and i have had my fair share of speakers since i was 3

(me when i was about 6 or 7 yrs old)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and probably the best speakers i had were the JBL's and the Electrovoice Interface III series II speakers

darth_sanchez said:
a pair of JBL LE8T signature series in T-line boxes

I also had a pair of them, not in t-lines but in the original box with the 8" drones. I found them beside a dumpster downtown. The old LE8T's are now in California somewhere getting reconed or new surrounds, not sure.

Stephen Jove has them. Anybody know his whereabouts? Haven't heard about my old beauties since soon after I sent them down to him. Hope they are both OK.

Cal

Hi All-

I have enlightened MANY people to HI-fi through their TV..

I set up my friends and families TV's with a decent pair of (GASP!) computer speakers to do away with the RELLY crappy internals..

Once they hear the difference the PC speakers make on a simple TV they then understand what I am so fascinated with. I know they hear a difference because they start complaining about other peoples tv's sounding "muffled".

It then NEVER fails, they want to hear a "good" system... When they say that, then they are ready to "hear" the difference between their previous exposure and the world of Hi-Fi...

Yes rabstq - most people need to take small steps forward in life, it's a good way to educate.
I did something simmilar using car speakers mounted in overhead I beams and connected to the TV, DVD and low-fi. The person had 25% hearing and could after years of relying on subtitles actualy hear and understand, She was in tears, it was quite moving.

Brett said:

Just think of it as natural selection.

Seriously, at 100kmh* or so most wings and/or spoilers won't make that much difference. And if you're travelling at above that on most roads in the world, you're an idiot.

* my guess at the average of most countries national speed limits.

Sorry to drudge up past posts but driving the 1.5 hours to work today I thought of something..

"at 100kmh* or so"...

I can leave my house and do 100kmh(62MPH in real numbers :D ) for 10 hours and still be in Texas. If you did that in Europe you would cross three countries!

I think that is why gasoline is cheaper here. It is completely impractical for US citizens to ride bikes or walk to/from work, and the "public transportation" is always behind the outward growth of the suburbs.

so Rabstq - just out of interest, why does USA still use the old imperial measurement system. Still tied to your english forefathers ?
The metric system is so much easier and practical to use.

If you were traveling on the autobahn you could get there in 1/3rd (33%) of the time, in the right type of car.

barn said:
so Rabstq - just out of interest, why does USA still use the old imperial measurement system. Still tied to your english forefathers ?
The metric system is so much easier and practical to use.

If you were traveling on the autobahn you could get there in 1/3rd (33%) of the time, in the right type of car.

World domination requires some idiosyncrasies... :D I AM JOKING!!!

I drive an UNstock VW 1.8T Golf 4dr. Practical and irrational. It would hold it's own on the autobahn. It more than holds it's own here but then I'm not allowed to take her up to 200MPH here. I have gotten her up to 153MPH on a closed course before I ran out of road(curve).

Driving is my second hobby. Followed by Scuba diving then plinking.

Back to the thread, Bose 901's were absolutely fabulous for outside parties... Turn them around so 8 drivers face the common area and 1 driver faces the DJ... I had friends who owned them... But then they required accompanyment from my Cerwin Vega PD-9's for low end.

It's been a long road(pun intended) from my CV's to my B&W's....

thoriated said:
It's simply not good enough to deserve 'classic' status today

Well, the VW beetle didn't do anything particularliy well either, but I believe it would be catagorized as a classic.

Here are some excerpts:

clas·sic (kla<breve>s'i<breve>k)

1. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.
2. A work recognized as definitive in its field.
3. Of a well-known type; typical, ie: a classic mistake.

I think that describes the 901 quite well.

I got to listen to yet another acquaintance who wanted me to listen to his home theatre. He had just purchased the (Acoutimass?) system. Two little plastic woofer things and a bunch of these little cubes. No matter what we did with these things it still sounded like crud. And the cost? Oh my heavens. They kind of remind me of the Jaguars of years ago. Poorly constructed, yet a price tag that would lead you to believe otherwise.

How do they do it?

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.