Bose humor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree, Bose doesn't do much for me as far as home theater goes...not much more than Sony's satelite system does in fact. I do think, if bought at a good sale price, their other speakers are pretty decent.
Example
My dad picked up a pair of 301's and 601's for half price, a good buy for a room stereo IMO. I also got a pair of 601's and paired them with an Acoustimas 'sub' and they sounded great in my bedroom for the cost. They're playing right now in my dorm room and I really can't complain.

I'd never put them in a living room after hearing my dad's Lifestyle system though. He bought it, again, for half price and is happy with it, but I think it sounds a little thin. The system does sound better after he added a Sony 12" sub but it's still not up to par with something he could have bought for less. He's not near as picky as I am though, the Base Exchange doesn't offer many other options. Unfortunatly Bose is the best they sell.

I can say for sure when I move out I'm going the DIY route and plan on building a nice set of front and (possibly) rear towers with a good, strong pair of subs for the home theater. I wouldn't have a problem using what I have now for a set of computer speakers or a stereo for a bed room, but definatly not for the living room.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Paul Klipsch was mentioned earlier...

Paul Klipsch is walking down the street when he sees Amar Bose on the other side. Cupping his hands around his mouth he shouts, "Hey Bose, are you still making those terrible loudspeakers?" Bose turns towards the wall and mumbles, "Yes."

thoriated said:

The 901 does not rise to the level of an audio classic in my book, although it is worthy of some regard due to its longevity as a product and 'unique' dispersion characteristics.

It certainly does if you put it in historical perspective, which is something of a given if you're going to define what is and isn't a "classic." The 901 was the first widely heard reflective speaker, and as such educated a heckuva lot of people who weren't and aren't locked into slavish devotion to conventional wisdom. I realize most of the users here are too young to have experienced it, and have been exposed their entire lives to the incessant soundstage and imaging marketing propaganda of the speaker manufacturers, so I have to consider most of the 901 bashing to be simple ignorance and/or arrogance. Think outside the box, guys. Experiment with good quality dispersion speakers and room treatments. Open your ears and enjoy. If you don't like the sound, hey, that's cool. But at least then you can be snarky from a basis of experience.

EC8010 said:
Paul Klipsch was mentioned earlier...

Paul Klipsch is walking down the street when he sees Amar Bose on the other side. Cupping his hands around his mouth he shouts, "Hey Bose, are you still making those terrible loudspeakers?" Bose turns towards the wall and mumbles, "Yes."
You've got the roles reversed from the version I heard way back when. Still funny though.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I think the joke should be written for Klipsch to have the last word, for surely Klipsch has contributed more to the audio world. His paper on Modulation Distortion in Loudspeakers is a real eye opener, whether you are an engineer or not.

Nonetheless, when somebody introduces a unique new design, not cheap, which becomes a favorite for 30 years, surely that deserves to be called a classic. Significant numbers of people must be hearing something new or exciting from the 901's, or eventually the line would have long since been discontinued after the novelty wore off.

Like 'em or hate "em, they're a unique and distinctive design which lasted a long, long time. I think that counts as a classic.

kelticwizard said:
I think the joke should be written for Klipsch to have the last word, for surely Klipsch has contributed more to the audio world.

kw, the original joke read something like I've attached below.... much better than the version that appeared earlier in this thread IMHO.

Amar Bose is walking down the street when he sees Paul Klipsch on the other side. Cupping his hands around his mouth he shouts, "Hey Klipsch, are you still making those terrible loudspeakers?" Klipsch turns towards the wall and mumbles, "Yes."

jmikes said:
I realize most of the users here are too young to have experienced it, -snip- so I have to consider most of the 901 bashing to be simple ignorance and/or arrogance.
I disagree. There are a lot of us here over 40 who were well aware of the marketing scam in our early years.
Think outside the box, guys. [/B]

I like it.
Open your ears and enjoy. [/B]

I'll go grab my Q-tips
But at least then you can be snarky from a basis of experience. [/B]

Snark, snark

Hey I can't blame Amar Bose for doing what he did, but I do blame people for thinking it's hi-fi. That's a worse joke than the one above. It's like putting gold wheels on a Hyundai and calling it a luxury car.

Snark, snark

Cal

AudioFreak said:

kw, the original joke read something like I've attached below.... much better than the version that appeared earlier in this thread IMHO.

Amar Bose is walking down the street when he sees Paul Klipsch on the other side. Cupping his hands around his mouth he shouts, "Hey Klipsch, are you still making those terrible loudspeakers?" Klipsch turns towards the wall and mumbles, "Yes."
That EC8010 guy never gets anything right........:devily:

I don't know if you guys have noticed but most people can not hear the diff between say $1000 and $10000 speakers. It's only the few people with pickey hearing like us that give a damb.

If the mass market, hearing deprived purchaser has a standard $1000 - $2000 so called hi-fi system with shocking speakers that came with the system and upgrades to a pair of bose 301's, well thats better than not upgrading at all.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
barn said:
I don't know if you guys have noticed but most people can not hear the diff between say $1000 and $10000 speakers.

Interesting comment. My experience is that anybody can hear the difference between decent sound and rubbish. Trouble is, they're mostly subjected to rubbish. In general, the standard of reproduced sound is very poor (I'm not even happy with my own at the moment). Going back to the difference between $1000 and $10000 loudspeakers, the main difference is likely to be bass. Bass taste takes time to acquire - that's why teenagers love car subwoofers (hides from knackered white cars with spoilers and large exhausts).

MMMMM- maybe a better way to put it is - most people do not care about the sound quality diff between a $1000 and $10000 sound component to justify spending the money.

Although home cinema does seem to be changing that to a degree- but is it more visual or sonic that makes them part with the cash ?

jmikes said:
Which reminds me . . . has anyone mentioned to the guys with big wings on their Civics that such a setup can have serious ramifications for steering and traction in high speed turns? As in, understeering into the guardrail?
Just think of it as natural selection.

Seriously, at 100kmh* or so most wings and/or spoilers won't make that much difference. And if you're travelling at above that on most roads in the world, you're an idiot.

* my guess at the average of most countries national speed limits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.