Bose Crossover Networks - Ultimate-/Reference- or only Average Quality Standard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's a Blose store in the mall near me, they have many Blose products on demo :D

Demo IE. listening is one thing, but can you compare the Bose systems with other brands right then and there, or do you have to take the CD from the Bose player and walk to the other end of the store?

Have you ever asked about specs regarding Bose? Power consumtion, output power, frequency response, distortion/THD etc?

If you are bored and have an iPhone, there are some free apps that let you measure FR. I have been dying to it for a long time, but there are no bose dealers near by.

Demo IE. listening is one thing, but can you compare the Bose systems with other brands right then and there, or do you have to take the CD from the Bose player and walk to the other end of the store?

Have you ever asked about specs regarding Bose? Power consumtion, output power, frequency response, distortion/THD etc?

If you are bored and have an iPhone, there are some free apps that let you measure FR. I have been dying to it for a long time, but there are no bose dealers near by.

I've gone in to amuse myself. I've never done any serious listening or measuring. Most of the people that work there are recent college grad business/marketing majors without real jobs. I asked some very basic technical questions about their electronics (not speakers), asking for THD of their output amps, CMRR of their preamps, etc.
I got a bunch of clueless looks and he started babbling about features.

Hehe ... amusement shop :)

I have one og those not 800ft from my door step. Half their inventory is ~10y old. But whats real funny is their asking price.

Im not kidding when I say that half of their displayed hi-fi is that old. IE. they have a Technics SU-C1010 & SE-A1010 ... just sitting there on display, collecting dust for 10years... asking price: $1660,-

But not even theese crooks dare sell Bose :p

There's a reason brick and mortar is dying.

They ceased to innovate and entice their customers on the same level that online stores can.
Who get's excited and whips out their checkbook when a print add rolls into their lap a week after it was printed (slow postman)? OH YAY $20 off coupon!

I don't. I get excited when PE sends a nice email flyer saying "come buy **** for half what it does at Madisound!"

*******' Wheatley laboratories.

If you ask me, its no surprise.

20y ago we had lots of high quality gear, for instance Sansui made damn good amplifiers. Design, components and general build quality was as good as any modern day high-end $3000+ amp.

Somewhere along the way, bose decieded to stop making audio gear. If you want to make a quality product, you need skilled engineers and ofc. quality parts.
Theese days Bose cant claim to have either of them. They cant even design a crossover. They seem to just pick old designs thats cheap to make and put them together without regards to matching.
The example I provided earlier more or less proves it.

(280 Hz to 13.3k Hz at ±10.5 dB...... 46Hz to 202Hz at ±2.3 dB) This is the real FR, properly measured.

No real audio engineer would stand by this. Its a disaster.
But it doesnt end there ... Bose actually patented "their" bass modules. One is a regular band-pass construction, and the other is just a transmission line enclosure, or Acoustimass as they call it.

Not only are Bose trying to claim two highly regular designs as their own, they are also trying to patent/steal it. And to top it of, they cant even implement it, and the result is overpriced products that only manages to reproduce ~60% of the music/freq.

They should be considered criminals for the way they are doing business. They are paracites feeding on the hearing (or otherwise) impared ppl that just want to get their moneys worth in their search for a means to enjoy the wonder of music.

Yes, more or less I'm agree wit You.

But let's keep closer to the thread-headline ;)
Here I post for you a BOSE 601 ser-1 xover circuitry. I missed the 2 bass drivers, they are connected in parallel, strait to the input terminals. More- interesting is the connection to the tweeters. On the second picture is the way, how they work at position symmetric and pos. asymmetric on back switch. Like always, the realization of the xover is simple, without PCB.

Attachments

• cros.jpg
    cros.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 226
  • poz1-2.JPG
    poz1-2.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 216
In my opinion, brick and mortar home audio departments are dying mostly because:

1) it is difficult to compete with online retailers that don't have the overhead that B&M stores have to deal with: a nicely decorated, fully lighted and air conditioned building with fat electricity & other utility bills, a large parking lot sitting on a large piece of land, all of which include taxes which must be paid, the TV and print advertsing (VERY expensive) and probably the biggest expense, paying all those sales people, cashiers, and various dept. managers.

2) interest among the general population in home component systems for music playback has slipped downwards to levels I have never seen before in the 30+ years I have been involved in this hobby. :( Sure, HT systems are realtively popular and music can be played through them, but even those aren't THAT popular because how many members here have walked into a friend's or relative's home and seen a beautiful 50" plasma flatscreen sitting on an expensive walnut stand......and the owners listening to their movies and Pandora music stream using the flatscreen's crummy pair of five dollar each, 5" x 2" speakers crammed into the TV's sleek stylish frame (and pointed downwards or even backwards!).

Most Regular Joes now seem to listen to music via earbuds or headphones or those ipod dock things, and imo this is because of the current obsession with owning electronic gear that is small & portable, not because it sounds better. Personally speaking I attribute this attitude to cellphones and MP3 players and the iPod in particular. Why? Because the sales of home component systems were doing fine (including systems with speakers equipped with 10" and larger woofers) and people who exclusively listened to music via headphones was a small minority......until November 10, 2001, then things began to change.

Now for many people it's all about convenience and portability, even if those qualities aren't needed for a particular situation. Oh and don't forget if something isn't brand new and especially, if it isn't "cool", you should not even think about owning it. Because (supposedly) other people will point and laugh at you. :rolleyes:

As some proof of this, and to make this post less off-topic :), the last time I visited the Bose store near me all their conventional speakers e.g. the 201 and 301 bookshelf models (the only Bose speakers I can feel O.K. about recommending to others) and even their 901s are pushed all the way to the back of the store in a small alcove. You wouldn't know they exist unless you walked back there yourself. But their docks and Acoustimass series are right out front in nicely decorated enclosed demo rooms or in the open & easily seen. Best Buy is similar: component stuff crammed into the back in cramped aisles, docks near the front door.

I try to tell others about the advantages of a component audio system over headphones and docks (but without sounding preachy about it), but mostly what I get in response is a blank look or "those are so big and ugly". I keep trying though!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.