Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

By pseudo folded, I assume you are referring to the IPS/VAS topology where the main collector of the IPS is connected to the base of the VAS and thence to the rail through a load resistor, and the other collector is connected to the emitter of the VAS transistor...

yep, got it in one ;)

... I should probably take a closer look at this connection and touch on it in the second edition...

That would be most appreciated, thanks!

mlloyd1

Attachments

• pseudo_folded_hafler.png
    pseudo_folded_hafler.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 431
Does anyone know where to buy Renesas higher voltage (>150V) P- and N-Channel laterals active in production?

BR, Toni
What about the Group Buy (Exicon) running now?
You may have missed the deadline for an order.

BTW,
all Laterals appear to be from the same factory, it's just packaging that changes.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...20-ecw20p20-mosfet-group-buy.html#post4816881
But that will probably attract triple import duties. Far east to UK, UK to Canada, Canada to Austria.

Last edited:
I do not think this circuit can refer to a folded or cascode configuration at all.
It has been seen without the buffering transistor on John Curl's schematics.
The VAS transistor simply works in differential mode, just as a differential circuit but with very dissimilar input impedances.

The signal path for one half of the output of the IPS is that of a folded cascode, so that is where the reference comes from. Other than that, the whole circuit has little to do with a folded cascode or, for that matter, differential operation, since the contributions from the two outputs of the IPS, though opposite in phase, do not have any where near similar effect on the output current of the VAS transistor.

To the best of my knowledge, the first publication and implementation of an amplifier with an LTP IPS, a current mirror load, and a 2EF VAS was by Bob Widlar back in the 1960's in an early IC op amp.

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2011
Paid Member
What about the Group Buy (Exicon) running now?
You may have missed the deadline for an order.

BTW,
all Laterals appear to be from the same factory, it's just packaging that changes.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...20-ecw20p20-mosfet-group-buy.html#post4816881
But that will probably attract triple import duties. Far east to UK, UK to Canada, Canada to Austria.

Thx, but EXICON's I have enough bought directly from profusionplc. Thats not the question. Bob's mailing has made me thinking that Renesas Laterals are available again ...

Hi Jeff,
What was their response to that? Your opinion of them should cause warning flags to go up for every hobbyist around.

-Chris

I didn't get any response from them at all. The part I ordered was a "Fairchild" 2N5401 shortly after Fairchild stocks disappeared at the major vendors, hoping they had original stock left. What I received wasn't the same shape, size, writing font, lead diameter, or even colour of my remaining stock. The one on the left is an original Fairchild part.

Attachments

• 20161103_090356.jpg
    20161103_090356.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 273
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jeff,
It certainly does look like a poor fake. There is a Chinese factory making discontinued part numbers, and they are supposed to be the same. They seem to be making North American parts. I don't trust them one little bit.

That should have been disclosed to you before the sale. No response from them looks like further deals are a no-go.

-Chris

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I just threw away 600 pieces of "2SB737" ultra low noise transistors purchased from Chinese sellers on eBay and AliExpress. The real things were discontinued years ago and I thought "what the heck, let's check out the clones / counterfeits from China, they are SO cheap."

They were dreck.

Fortunately, Horowitz and Hill 3rd edition has identified a replacement that is actually BETTER than the original 2SB737, and is currently in production, and is available in thru-hole packaging, and can be purchased from factory authorized distributors. A trustworthy supply chain! Costs more per device than the 600 parts I just threw out but, I'm still happy.

I just threw away 600 pieces of "2SB737" ultra low noise transistors purchased from Chinese sellers on eBay and AliExpress. The real things were discontinued years ago and I thought "what the heck, let's check out the clones / counterfeits from China, they are SO cheap."

They were dreck.

Fortunately, Horowitz and Hill 3rd edition has identified a replacement that is actually BETTER than the original 2SB737, and is currently in production, and is available in thru-hole packaging, and can be purchased from factory authorized distributors. A trustworthy supply chain! Costs more per device than the 600 parts I just threw out but, I'm still happy.

So are you going to share the replacement number.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Winfield Hill, one of the authors of "The Art of Electronics" 3rd edition, is a member of diyAudio! He occasionally posts messages here; one example is below. I bought a copy of his book and am quite pleased with it; the transistor measurement data is in Chapter 8, with a good summary in Table 8.1a (p.501). I encourage you to read the reviews on Amazon and decide whether or not to buy a copy for yourself. You'd be supporting a fellow member if you did.

I certainly do not think it would be a good idea to PM the author saying "I am too cheap to buy your book so send me a scan of Table 8.1a for free." That wouldn't be neighborly.

I scoured datasheets, and selected and purchased hundreds of low-noise BJT transistor candidates. Paul [Horowitz, the other author -MJ] made a low-noise single-stage transistor amplifier, see AoE III, Figure 8.92, in which we could place our D.U.T. candidates, and he took spectral plots of their noise at different operating currents. I entered the masses of data into Excel, and modeled the e_n, i_n and r_bb' noise components to determine the minimum-possible noise from r_bb' Johnson noise, but at Ic currents low enough not to create base-current i_n * r_bb' noise. Then I made a spreadsheet of about 60 useful transistor candidates, see Table 8.1 on page 501, for y'all to feast on. As a bonus, you also get measured values of the Early voltage V_A, and plots of beta vs current, Figure 8.39 for all the transistors.

We also went through the same exercise for JFETs, and created tables and graphs from our measurements.

This is information I would have died for in years past, that's what motivated me, and now I can go forward on designs using all this grand data. DIY experimenters can too, if they get a copy of our book. :)

Sliding bias is an interesting candidate for discussion.
Hi.
Firm JVC used these chips in poweramps JVC AX-50. The idea is to give passive shoulder additional bias equal to the voltage increment of the active of the shoulder. It works.

Attachments

• VC5022 Super A.GIF
    VC5022 Super A.GIF
    13.5 KB · Views: 354
  • JVC Super-A.jpg
    JVC Super-A.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 349
  • jvc a x40.JPG
    jvc a x40.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 274
Bob,

Did you cover Error Correcting circuits?

Like this one in Electronics World by William de Bruyn June 1997

If not, would you like to comment on the approach?

With your permission, I will add my two cents. A differential stage without the tracking circuit (boot-strap?) greatly distorts, operating from a signal source with a large output impedance. I solved this problem just two jfet.

Attachments

• Craftsman 0.000,008.asc
    17 KB · Views: 70

They were dreck.

Did you buy via Credit Card, or via PayPal?
If so then report them for selling fakes and maybe even for Fraud.
These criminal retailers will only be put out of business if the customers complain to someone who will eventually take action.

Last edited: