• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bob Carver's eye candy on eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"My Audio Cyclopedia dated 1959 , on page 547, has shown that the Altec Lansing 436B compressor amplifier also used the same "a DC restorer" circuit that you have claimed invented, what a coincidence, used the same 6AL5 tube. Care to clear-out the smoke? Attached is the schematic. "

That's not the same thing. Thats a compressor circuit. The 6AL5s envelope detect the output level and control the bias on the 6BC8s, which are remote cutoff tubes. An automatic volume control. The coupling caps prevent any bias changes from getting to the output tubes as well.

The DC restorer circuit was a common circuit used for video amp stages for TV sets. I think Bob mentioned that history.

From Wikipedia:

"Adamantium is a fictional indestructible metal alloy. In the Marvel Comics Universe, it is best known for being the substance bonded to the character Wolverine's skeleton and bone claws

The first use of the term adamantium in Marvel Comics was in Avengers #66 (July 1969) as part of Ultron's outer shell. The noun/adjective has long been used in standard English to refer to the embodiment of impregnable, diamondlike hardness, or to describe a very firm/resolute position (i.e. He adamantly refused to leave). It, along with its rhetorical form adamantine, occurs in works such as the Aeneid, The Faerie Queene, Paradise Lost, Gulliver's Travels, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Lord of the Rings, and the film Forbidden Planet, all of which predate the use of adamantium in Marvel's comics."

:rolleyes:

From Wikipedia:

"Adamantium is a fictional indestructible metal alloy. In the Marvel Comics Universe, it is best known for being the substance bonded to the character Wolverine's skeleton and bone claws

The first use of the term adamantium in Marvel Comics was in Avengers #66 (July 1969) as part of Ultron's outer shell. The noun/adjective has long been used in standard English to refer to the embodiment of impregnable, diamondlike hardness, or to describe a very firm/resolute position (i.e. He adamantly refused to leave). It, along with its rhetorical form adamantine, occurs in works such as the Aeneid, The Faerie Queene, Paradise Lost, Gulliver's Travels, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Lord of the Rings, and the film Forbidden Planet, all of which predate the use of adamantium in Marvel's comics."

:rolleyes:

FYI directly from Bob Carver's mouth RE: "Adamantine Steel":

The first time I ever heard the expression Adamantine steel was as a young child when I watched the classic science fiction movie, “Forbidden Planet”, the screen adaptation of William Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”. William Shakespeare loved Adamantine steel. It appeared in several of his plays, most notably “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in which a sword of Adamantine steel was crafted. In recent times my use of the expression Adamantine steel derived not from the Fantastic Four comic book, rather the Conan comic book in which the minor wizard Xolotan (sp?) crafted a beautiful sword of Adamantine steel. The most enduring image I have of Adamantine steel is when the Krell monster from the Id of “Forbidden Planet” broke through an impenetrable steel door crafted of Adamantine steel. It seems that more than one audiophile has used the Krell of Shakespeare’s forbidden planet to define something regarding amplifiers.

In truth, Adamantine steel is an actual steel developed early in our century (I think in the 1930’s or 1940’s) to define the hardest steel known to man. And it still is. At least as early as 1952, U.S. Steel had a catalog including Adamantine steel with a hardness rating at the top of the list of all the steels it produced.

I chose the Krell Adamantine steel for my output transformers because to this day it is the hardest steel known to humankind. And the harder the steel, the lower the induced eddy currents and the better the transformer.

As for designing this amplifier without true science, using only the language of audiophiles severely misses the mark. It’s not possible to design an amplifier at this level of performance without extensive use of physics, science, and mathematics. To believe otherwise exposes one’s own knowledge to be of a meager and shallow kind.

A final word. Since I invented these output transformers, I get to call them anything I want.

Bob Carver

I never heard of Adamantine steel in the movie, they called it Krell metal.
Hardened steel with high carbon content is unlikely to make for low hysteresis magnetics or useable Bmax. My guess is Carver uses ordinary M6 steel or related Hi-B oriented like any sane person would. Those who believe advertising hype get to pay for it. Even the 6AL5 DC restorer got dumped in the latest versions for ordinary silicon diodes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.