• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bob Carver's eye candy on eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah...there is something quite fishy about this.
Why would Mr. Carver bother with putting such a amp up on E-Bay anyway?
There are many compatriots that he knows who would jump at the chance to own such a creation.....by "The Master". The public at large wouldn't have a chance at getting an amp made by Bob nor any of his close buddies.
And what IS up with those cheap components inside said amp? Do you all recognize those cheap brown plastic clad caps......I can't recall the brand right now but its not high-end that's for sure.
And the photo.Why is said "Bob" wearing a baseball cap that conveniently is covering his eyes??????? Conspiracy theorists unite!
The icing on the cake is the "disclaimer" at the end.

________________________________________________________Rick....

All hype aside, the bit about pie winding is interesting. I've done a bit of it with switching power supply transformers using special segmented bobbins. The leakage is acceptable, and the interwinding capacitance is greatly reduced, resulting in extended bandwidth at the top end. The "pies" I see being wound in the pictures are not as pie-ish as I would have expected, which may mean it may not require as severe a segmentation as I would have thought for a transformer with decent performance. Food for thought, anyway, hype or no.

Yes it's really Bob guys. This is about the 12th set of these amplifiers he has sold on eBay over the last 2 years. "Audioshopper" is Bob's eBay user ID, as is his user name on our CARVERaudio.com forum.

Here is a photo of the set of tube amps he GAVE AWAY for free at 2008's CarverFest in NC. CARVERaudio.com • View topic - **** BOB CARVER HAS DONATED AMPS TO CARVERFEST **** Here are tons more photos from CF-08' Official CarverFest 2008 Countdown

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you watch the last minute or 2 of this video, you will hear Bob start talking about giving them away. YouTube - CARVERaudio.com CarverFest 08 pt.16

Bob's a great guy, and awesome to hang out with.

Just don't ask him to work on your Silver-7 Tube Amps !!!! :nownow:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

80% of output power increase because of a different steel? :D:D:D

"ePay is the place where sailors of yestyears tell their fair tales" ;)

Yes - special Adamantine steel...

hugh_jackman_wolverine_x_men.jpg

... for a stronger sound that cuts through making short work of complex works.

Guys,, I'm kinda new here, so I'm not sure which way this thread is going,but, with that said.I attended Carverfest 08,where Bob had brought an earlier pair of the tube mono's that he had built using parts from his "museum",, very similar to the ones on e-bay(different trannies) and we drove a variety of speakers with them,,AL III's,Plats,,CRM's,,Tyler Acoustics 7U's,, and they handled everything quite well,,they are drop dead gorgeous in person,poweful,open,airy,,and dead quiet.Unfortunately I did not win them in the raffle,but did get an opportunity to listen to them extensively.I could certainly live with a pair,,can't afford em' though.IIRC, the way the amp is designed and built,the power tubes will outlive me. :)

Interesting. I know nothing about any of this, but I would be a little cautious. To my untrained eyes, these are not the same as the ones in the Carverfest pictures.
It does seem surprising to me that the case is a simple aluminum box, the components look fairly low end, although the wiring and turrets look great. I am also a little surprised at the binding posts. Looks like they are from the same place as the volume knob.
i know not all greats and gurus feel strongly about audiophlia and the fancy stuff, but this seems off, not having seen the back of a carver amp to see what he used. Anyway, for the price, i personally would like more of a guarantee that this is actually Carver, then I can trust the components more.

Yes it's Bob Carver, and that's his latest amp design. I had correspondence with him about a year ago regarding the "6AL5 DC restorer" circuit. Unless the total ad is a fake with scraped pictures and text, it's legit.

As far as component quality, maybe over the years Bob found out that there isn't any compelling reason to spend more than $0.20 on a resistor or $1.00 on a binding post ;-)

Nice story to read...

Michael

As far as component quality, maybe over the years Bob found out that there isn't any compelling reason to spend more than $0.20 on a resistor or $1.00 on a binding post ;-)

Nice story to read...

Michael

I do agree with him on that, topology, tubes, iron and a few select components are probably all that really makes a noticeable difference, it is just not what I am used to seeing. I do, however, like cool binding posts, even if you never see them at the back of the amp...:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.