'Biefeld-Brown effect' based full range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Ion Wind Loudspeaker

Indalhc said:
I wonder about the specific voltages involved here. [/B]
Er, the voltage scale doesn't matter, as the voltage is a function of the electrode geometry and spacing, and the current (it's an I-V graph, not a V-I graph which wouldn't make sense). Your design works in the dark region of the quoted grap; using needles or other sharp points nudges it to the corona region.

bear said:
Check the JAES article by Gerald Shirley, early 60's iirc or maybe late 50's, called "Ion Wind Loudspeaker." It's also in the Anthology I book.

I think that someone in the 80s made a large "commercial" speaker using similar technology - didn't play loud and made copious amounts of Ozone, iirc... "Toltec"?? Something with a "T" in the name, I think.

These are all discussed in the threads I've mentioned at least once here. I know it's tempting to post before bothering to read the complete thread, given the number of pages it is now, but it would save things being repeated several times. Corona discharges all have the problem of making huge amounts of ozone, and even NO2, not to mention that they tend to be somewhat noisy, and the frequency response is not flat due to the discharge geometry. They tend to be driven by what are essentially audio modulated tesla coils. It's no coincidence Hill went for a DC-driven glow discharge.

42bit 96kfps Holographic Sound Project

bigwill said:
I need to build a better power supply, my multiplier only gives out a measly 10kV, although this may be fine for experiments. Anyone got any simple circuits to get 20-30kv DC from an ignition coil?

A tesla coil should be good for this. The schematic for a tesla–coil based plasma tweeter over
at http://www.plasmatweeter.de looks maybe a bit complicated, however if this was built and the electrodes was replaced by a much broader surface lifter based material – using magnet wire and aluminum foil, thus implementing the cathode section – then this might be getting somewhere :)

42bit 96kfps Holographic Sound Project

bigwill said:
I'll be setting up my experiments as soon as I find that darn frying pan cover for stopping bits of fat coming though (it makes a perfect grid!)

I have temporarily skipped the grid just to get started somewhere (By the way, the grid may have the best effect if placed somewhere in depth within the higher field, the higher field could then be biased to a equilibrium and a little force on the grid would then be all that is needed to set 'the field' in motion).

Then again, what you label as the grid is probably the cathode itself :D And that's fine, as long as it has a comparably larger surface to the anode, which again also should have a large surface (compared to the tip of a needle that is).

Talking about a high voltage power supply, the TCL5K from http://www.amazing1.com/tesla.htm may be good for experiments. One feature is 'Noiseless Operation'.

Lifter vehicle + plasma tweeter driver

bigwill said:
The problem with all these power supplys is that they seem quite overkill... and I'm not too good at building things :rolleyes:

If only the RF / Tesla coil section of the Ionovac was built, merely to have a tesla coil, that
wouldn't be too difficult. If it worked fine then you could add the audio modulation. Very easy :)

bigwill said:
I'm not sure if it would work though - surely DC is needed, not high frequency AC?

This should be pulsed DC at a very high / inaudible frequency.

The plan is to use most (all) of the coil's energy for the 'lifter vehicle transducer'. So if this works, it could then be substantially more efficient than a plasma tweeter.

For a 'medium current' >20 kV output, some tweaking may be needed. I'm thinking about using a 813 valve for driving the tesla coil. There are six more components in the RF–section of the Ionovac d:

If this is sufficient for making the vehicle lift, then to add the audio modulation, in parts this consists of one transformer only :D

I tried to build the thing described in the attatched image, but it didn't work :(. It might've been because I applied the signal to the outer casing instead of to the needle like in the image, or more likely due to the fact that it was a hudge bodge and my transformer wasn't suitable :D

I might order some super cheap 100v line transformers to mess with.

Attachments

• speak1a.jpg
    speak1a.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 111

bigwill said:
I tried to build the thing described in the attatched image, but it didn't work :(. It might've been because I applied the signal to the outer casing instead of to the needle like in the image, or more likely due to the fact that it was a hudge bodge and my transformer wasn't suitable :D

I might order some super cheap 100v line transformers to mess with.

That looks more like a 'plasma'/high voltage field microphone to me d:

Transformers have some difficulty reaching 20 kV, one good reason to modulate via a valve at the anode (in a tesla coil) or using a lower voltage modulated grid at the cathode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.