BG Neo 3 Headphone project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the example of the T50rps with the back of the cup open - this big 10 dB drop off can be removed by damping. You can actually get the thing flat up to about 10 kHz but that wouldn't be a good match for HRTFs. Hopefully some stuffing can do the same for your tweeters.

Interesting RE: the Monoprice IEMs. I have a friend going to the US in June, I'll probably ask him to bring back some Monoprice cables. Maybe I'll throw in a couple of these.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm not kidding, these Monoprice iem's sound like they cost at least $100.00!

As far as the Fostex phones go, Here's Tylls measurements. Sure enough, they measure relatively flat like you said(grey trace)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RP2011A.pdf
This is acceptable enough to continue with this project. I'm exited again! Here's another sample of a different T50rp headset..
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RP2011B.pdf

Last edited:
Here's how the right side of my girlfriend's T50rps are currently tuned. The gain at 1.5 KHz is where my HRTF sets in. This set is not perfectly tuned but sounds very nice with the gently sloping curve.

Check out bluemonkeyflyer's recent posts on HeadFi where he details the measurement setup that we've been using. There's hope yet for your tweeters, I think.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

OK, I just recieved two pair of deep back cups from Danny. The yokes seem to be clearing them enough to where they won't get in the way. I bought some nylon lined nuts that fit the yoke pins perfectly. These will be glued to the sides of the deep cups with superglue. I may make slits in the back of these cups for mini open transmission lines, but first I'm going to try them sealed. I don't have any idea how these headphones will sound, so please, don't purchase anything related to this project until I see how this experiment turns out. You may be wasting your money if you do.

Last edited:
I don't have any idea how these headphones will sound, so please, don't purchase anything related to this project until I see how this experiment turns out. You may be wasting your money if you do.
O.K., I guess that remark is aimed directly at me. :) But gosh darn it, Hurry...I love what you are trying to accomplish and wish I had the guts to chop up headphones like you do.

Meanwhile, back to my omni project (it also utilizes a Neo 3 PDRW).

Thanks,

Craig

The large cups definitely aren't going to work. As far as tuning the diaphragm goes, they're too large. And if I try to fill them, they're too heavy. Listening tests indicate that the small cups with holes drilled in the back will work. The question remains as to how well. It still amazes me how the tiniest little changes to the back area have profound effects on the front area..

Last edited:

Greg
Very interesting and useful information. Thanks..After screwing around with them for quite a while, I came to a conclusion similar to that of the Raal article, in that acoustic resistors are basically a sub-optimal band aid. Not only that, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the presence region up high enough to be acceptable for headphone use, due to, I believe, the PDR type Neo 3's I used. I still believe that acceptable headphones are possible with the non PDR type, but even then, the headphones weight becomes an overriding issue..

Very educational find Greg.

After a quick Google, here is a link to an older 6 Moon's article regarding Raal headphones (scroll to the bottom of page).
6moons.com - industry features: RoadTour Serbia, Exit Raal

This pic is from the 6 Moon's article;

789611e7.jpg

Looks like Danny has a very nice amp (pic from Raal Requisite's web site);

7df737d1.jpg

Good picture of old prototypes. If you read the PDF on the site, it explains that the ribbon elements are NOT pleated, but rather embossed like their tweeters. I figure they have not finalized the actually headphones yet, or they'd have a picture of those on the site too.

Now all we need is for Alexander to make ribbon microphones with his techniques and the circle is complete. Raal, from recording to playback. Nice!

Greg

Good picture of old prototypes. If you read the PDF on the site, it explains that the ribbon elements are NOT pleated, but rather embossed like their tweeters. I figure they have not finalized the actually headphones yet, or they'd have a picture of those on the site too.

Now all we need is for Alexander to make ribbon microphones with his techniques and the circle is complete. Raal, from recording to playback. Nice!

Greg
Craig & Greg
Looking at Alexander's first prototypes makes me laugh. Very similar looking to mine. I used my wife's flexible hair band with BG Neo 3 waveguides screwed to both sides. I then made ear pads out of 1/2" thick wool felt and attached them to both waveguides. It's makes me happy to see that a guy like Alexander isn't too proud to show the public this part of the "prototype" process...

anybody heard anything new about these headphones? I'm dying to try them. The white paper is detailed, but I still wonder how the bass extension is. I know that these will sound quite different from normal headphones, being the resonant frequency below 20hz, but again, I would really love to see a frequency response graph.

I sent this to someone who has pretty extensive knowledge about headphones and diaphragms. He read the 'white paper' and was not impressed (Putting it kindly). Let's see what happens..

OK, BUT given Alexanders track record as well that of his partner in the amplifier electronics, I would bet big money on the possibility that these will be phenomenal.

He is one of the few people out there that seems to truly understand all aspects of proper ribbon design. I'll bet these will hang in there nicely with even the top of the line Stax that Bob got for his mastering studio, which themselves made the Sennheiser HD-600 sound like average cans.

Requisite Audio

Greg

I sent this to someone who has pretty extensive knowledge about headphones and diaphragms. He read the 'white paper' and was not impressed (Putting it kindly). Let's see what happens..

I don't want to get defensive, as I'm still not sure 100%, and I won't until they release some measurement.
Nevertheless, no matter how "expert" you are, these headphones are something new, never seen before. And so will transmission audio headphones.
They even differ from planar headphones: though they may seem very similar, the difference, especially with headphones, is huge. The reason is that planar have a resonance at around 1khz, while these should have it below 20hz. I've had the audeze lcd-2, which are regarded as some of the very best planar in the world (now there are also the lcd-3), and they didn't impress me at all, especially because this resonance gave a non flat frequency response in the highs.

In addition to that, as studiotech explained, Alex is regarded superbously among speaker builder. More and more people are recognising the superiority of his ribbons, even people that didn't like true ribbons before.

And about requisite audio, I've read on gearslutz forum that those products sound very well too.

Again, my strongest doubt is in the bass region. I know that due to the low resonance frequency they may indeed extend low, even if they are floating near the ear (so no sealing to boss the bast, like in normal headphones), but still I wonder how they'll be able to resist big power/spl at 20-40hz...

I don't want to get defensive, as I'm still not sure 100%, and I won't until they release some measurement.
Nevertheless, no matter how "expert" you are, these headphones are something new, never seen before. And so will transmission audio headphones.
They even differ from planar headphones: though they may seem very similar, the difference, especially with headphones, is huge. The reason is that planar have a resonance at around 1khz, while these should have it below 20hz. I've had the audeze lcd-2, which are regarded as some of the very best planar in the world (now there are also the lcd-3), and they didn't impress me at all, especially because this resonance gave a non flat frequency response in the highs.

In addition to that, as studiotech explained, Alex is regarded superbously among speaker builder. More and more people are recognising the superiority of his ribbons, even people that didn't like true ribbons before.

And about requisite audio, I've read on gearslutz forum that those products sound very well too.

Again, my strongest doubt is in the bass region. I know that due to the low resonance frequency they may indeed extend low, even if they are floating near the ear (so no sealing to boss the bast, like in normal headphones), but still I wonder how they'll be able to resist big power/spl at 20-40hz...

True ribbons are always inherently high in THD below a certain point. It will be interesting to see how this is addressed. The expert I mentioned was critical of some ' very misconceived' points made in the white paper. This certainly does not mean that Alexander can't make a 'world killing' headphone/amp combo.. That's what makes this hobby so much fun.. Go Alexander!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.