Beyond the Ariel

In those comparisons, special recordings were made.
It probably wouldn't have the same impact with available commercial recording.

Properly set up, loudspeakers can convincingly mimic live performances.

'Convincingly mimic' and indistinguishable from the real thing aren't the same thing.

To properly mimic an orchestra would require many individual tracks and multiple loudspeakers, but for single instruments the demands are much more easily met.

There are no such commercial, available, recordings. Thus it's but a hypothesis that may be right, or may be wrong. Anyhow, it isn't available, thus, it isn't practical.

At any rate, the design goal of accurate reproduction of a recorded signal and reproduction of a live performance are, as you point out, different things.

Indeed.

Based on looking at what your current speakers are I think you can get much closer to live by doing the "beyond the ariel" here, hopefully it will done before you turn 80 though - LOL -seriously a little speaker like that probably would have a hard time reproducing a single voice convincingly. I don't think the design had pure realism in mind when introduced it for sale.

What is the best system you have ever listened to?

My own.

Just checked the Brodmann VC2, those are of quite a different characteristic from live performance. Most likely lacking in detail.

1. You cannot possibly know how those speakers sound without hearing them.
2. What speakers are non-different characteristic from live performance?
3. They are very revealing. They reproduce acoustic instruments better than any other speakers I heard (so far).

From the setup, I would guess it will sound very nice in terms of string instruments, but quite far from the fidelity I am used to.

1. A guess is but a guess.
2. I have no idea what fidelity you are used to, nor what you consider as 'fidelity'.

Sometimes it's best to have a small musical system and forget about achieving something you feel is impossible. I recommend Joshua sell his big system and buy concert tickets - That or get yourself some good woodworking equipment, some measuring software, sound card and calibrated mic and let the sawdust fly. Buying into anybody else's "solution" like this Beyond the ??? is normally dead end and doesn't give you anywhere near the satisfaction of building it yourself. The first step is defining what you feel is possible :p then...
The grammar sounds weird in a reply to my post, but I get the general idea. But we can always underestimate what is possible. I made the mistake going to unusual design concepts, and found out that they would never meet my expectations. Had to start from traditional concepts and dig into the basics. That was when I was amazed how the little details effected sound, and why. These are hard to write into the form of textbooks, but does help avoid some problems along the way.

You can't expect two 5" midwoofers in a fake horn and a dome tweeter to sound like an orchestra. Look at Olson's Ariel and look at what he's doing now to elevate the sound for a clue - I'm sure your system can sound great to you but to say a system cannot reproduce live musicians based on that is really quite wrong and has introduced a circular argument that is false

Based on looking at what your current speakers …

seriously a little speaker like that probably would have a hard time reproducing a single voice convincingly.

Your guess isn't correct.
I haven't heard yet speakers that reproduce human voice, single or multiple, more realistically.

I don't think the design had pure realism in mind when introduced it for sale.

Again, wrong guess.
They were designed by Hans Deutsch. He was encouraged by Herbert Von Karajan (the famous conductor of Berlin Philharmonic) to go on designing loudspeakers. He chose piano manufacturing company to produce them, under his supervision: Hans Deutsch .

My own.

1. You cannot possibly know how those speakers sound without hearing them.
2. What speakers are non-different characteristic from live performance?
3. They are very revealing. They reproduce acoustic instruments better than any other speakers I heard (so far).

1. A guess is but a guess.
2. I have no idea what fidelity you are used to, nor what you consider as 'fidelity'.
Well, I am not the only person that evaluates anything developed under me. But there is a process to allow different auditors to pick what is improved and what is lacking. Then the comments are evaluated and those that seem to be a technical problem are explored.
The actual auditions take place with me personally present, and generally what the auditors will do is point out areas where they feel are lacking, if I do not understand, I ask them to explain further, and they generally use different music to demonstrate the problematic area. When I understand what they are talking about, then it's back to the lab to see if the problem can be solved.

For example, we had one auditor that explained lack of vocal resonances. You hear the person singing, it sounds good, but you do not feel the vocal skills the singer applies. Once this was understood, the technical data can show a relationship.

Another example, another auditor felt that there was that slight lack of timbre at the tail of sounds. I had that same impression, but was not too sure about it until he as well as some other auditors pointed out the same thing. That was difficult to trace because no data associated with the issue seemed obvious in the process of testing. The only way was trying things out through technical reasoning.

Based on years of exploration, just by looking at the drivers used, I can say that from experience and technical explanation, those Brodmann VC2 does cause loss of detail. The good part is that it will hide the harshness of some electronics.

I haven't heard yet speakers that reproduce human voice, single or multiple, more realistically.

Again, wrong guess.
They were designed by Hans Deutsch. He was encouraged by Herbert Von Karajan (the famous conductor of Berlin Philharmonic) to go on designing loudspeakers. He chose piano manufacturing company to produce them, under his supervision: Hans Deutsch .

It is common to be devoted to one's speakers- after all, you live with them, and you chose them because you liked them.

However, there are serious flaws in those that are quite obvious. The tweeter isn't even flush-mounted. That's completely unacceptable, for a speaker being sold largely for the nice cabinet. The odd midwoofer arrangement is another major issue, which deserves the raised eyebrows.

Now- none of that is to say that they're not the right speaker for you- if they match your preferences more power to you! But for most of us here, we've heard the benefits of higher efficiency, lower diffraction, closer driver spacing, and other metrics by which they fall badly short of any objective ideal. They are "producer/reproducers" as opposed to "reproducers" (a largely neutral, well designed and implemented system) or "producers" (electric guitar amp, piano, violin, whatever).

Regarding Karajan: musicians aren't known for their analytic listening abilities- actually they're often weak listeners, as they listen through the system, rather than to the system. Their minds are filling in the gaps, and their focus is on emotion, performance, and other metrics that have less to do with the S.Q. and more to do with the performance and composition.

Again, wrong guess.
Musical instrument design and manufacturing requirements are extremely different from loudspeakers.

Hmmm ... unfortunately they appear to quite strongly colour the sound, in fact they're designed to do so. Which may enhance one's ability to appreciate the musical content - but they are not "accurate".

I prefer to let the recording speak for itself - a more difficult path to follow, but for me ultimately much more satisfying. Barleywater's post earlier on is right on the money, he's describing exactly the path that I strongly follow ...

As an example of where an association with a famous musical instrument maker doesn't work, take the Steinway Lyngdorf Model D. A very ambitious effort, but in the dealer's showroom when I heard it, it managed to produce truly appalling sound, so unbalanced that one couldn't listen for more than a few minutes ...

As an example of where an association with a famous musical instrument maker doesn't work, take the Steinway Lyngdorf Model D. A very ambitious effort, but in the dealer's showroom when I heard it, it managed to produce truly appalling sound, so unbalanced that one couldn't listen for more than a few minutes ...

I must disagree. I was watching Avatar on a 4k tv with these little brothers of the Model D: Steinway Lyngdorf - S-Series Speakers Beautiful speakers, BTW, with an innovative twist behind the Air Motion Transformer - a metal triangle to spread the sound to the sides even more.

And the sound was very clear. Perhaps a little too clean for my taste, as I am into horns with a lot of feeling. For the price that they are asking, €12.000 for the smaller Model S, I may agree, but to say that they are appalling?!
Maybe the big ones did not get the midbass right, but that is difficult for any speaker.

Attachments

• lyngdorf.jpg
    lyngdorf.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 410
  • lyndforf 2.jpg
    lyndforf 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
And the sound was very clear. Perhaps a little too clean for my taste, as I am into horns with a lot of feeling. For the price that they are asking, €12.000 for the smaller Model S, I may agree, but to say that they are appalling?!
Maybe the big ones did not get the midbass right, but that is difficult for any speaker.
When I heard them, it was a demo quality jazz ensemble recording, the typical showroom sort of thing. The bass was grotesquely overblown, and the treble had shrunk to a tiny dwarf. There was a piano as part of the group, but its sound bore no relationship to any real piano I've ever heard ...

The chap demonstrating was the owner, had been in the game for decades, he didn't remark on anything wayward. To make sure I wasn't going mad, I asked for the track to be played on the system opposite, a high level Gryphon setup driving Wilson Sasha speakers ... ahhh, that's what the track was supposed to sound like - we had something vastly closer to what I expect jazz music to sound like ...

When I heard them, it was a demo quality jazz ensemble recording, the typical showroom sort of thing. The bass was grotesquely overblown, and the treble had shrunk to a tiny dwarf. There was a piano as part of the group, but its sound bore no relationship to any real piano I've ever heard ...

The chap demonstrating was the owner, had been in the game for decades, he didn't remark on anything wayward. To make sure I wasn't going mad, I asked for the track to be played on the system opposite, a high level Gryphon setup driving Wilson Sasha speakers ... ahhh, that's what the track was supposed to sound like - we had something vastly closer to what I expect jazz music to sound like ...

A shame, because the AMT tweeter and the little midrange cone driver is what made the Model S.

I assumed wrongly that tractrix was close to hyperbolic but it is in fact Kugelwellen and JMLC that is closer to hyperbolic, right?

Well, good then because I sculpted a kugelwellen horn for the JA6681B's exit angle and it sound vvery nice. If this is almost JMLC I am all for it. Again, I would probably like both KW and JMLC profiles and have difficulty picking a favourite.

I do not like exponential horns, in any size. Maybe for a hornloaded subwoofer, this I have not tried yet.

It depends on the driver you use . TAD 4001 will sound better on round Jabo KH-55 exponential horn than any Tractrix or LeCleach profile.