Beyma 12P80ND + TPL-150

Mixing tube amps and SS amps is a no-no. While I think about it, the three first mentioned channels will do fine for now. If not Stig-Erik make me think otherwise with his RD-75. Then I sell everything and start from scratch. :p

The whole project sounds very interesting, but "mixing of tube and SS amps is a no-no" is just silly and incorrect audiophile "knowledge". You use what works best. In your case, yes generally SS is a better choice for bass duty.....or heaven forbid, digital amps even. If I'm remembering correctly, Stig is running all digital amplification, correct? And when you have a listen, don't forget just how important a contribution his ROOM is making to the detail and spaciousness of the sound. His set-up takes the whole studio inspired live-end, dead-end to new levels for a home. That's VERY important to the overall quality of sound he's getting.

Greg

Multi-amped yes. I am hoping the American made +12au7/EL84 custom built amp with temporary Chinese JAN 5670 preamp, will have enough punch for the JBL 12" midbass/Fane 8M horn. I am going to use a JA6681B with the sweet sounding 2A3/45 amp and a TPL on top. They are all around 103-110dB. Will save on tube amps by mixing passive and analog active XOs.:p

I will probably go a similar route. I do not want to give up my 38" horn, which i like and is a decor in my room. So i will probably mount the 12p80nd into it, and try the LM555 in the midrange horn, to reproduce between 400hz, and 2khz, and above the TPL.

Like in the trio midrange horn? Do you really have to use another horn for that? I would imagine the difference between the horn you have now and a horn suitable for 400Hz is not that big. The focus should be in on lower part anyway as TPL is very capable from 1.5khz and up.

Last edited:
Like in the trio midrange horn? Do you really have to use another horn for that? I would imagine the difference between the horn you have now and a horn suitable for 400Hz is not that big.

You realize we are almost back where whe started now - the Trio. It uses horns between 500hz and 4kHz and then use a 1" CD for which we replaced with the TPL.

Thats my system right now :

20130330_093318_zpsabb59f6f.jpg

i want to scale down. The 12p80nd in the separate box sounds terrific. So might mount it into the 38" horn, without compression. It will act more like a shallow wave guide. In the mid horn, i could mount the LM555's, or remain the Coral M100.

Waveguide and a 12" is very nice, yes. Gives more punch to the sound and you can match directivity by using different angles to match the horns above. But maybe just for medium sized rooms. For very small listening rooms I don't recommend horns at all, sadly. I am confused by back chambers though. Is it needed with just a waveguide? Even a waveguide has some compression, otherwise the sound would not have more punch.

Last edited:
Waveguide and a 12" is very nice, yes. Gives more punch to the sound and you can match directivity by using different angles to match the horns above. But maybe just for medium sized rooms. For very small listening rooms I don't recommend horns at all, sadly.

My room has 5m x 6m = 30sqm. I think my system would perform better, if the room were double its size. When i move to the next house, maibe.....

They new it already back in the seventies, how to do it right.....

Vintage ESS Heil AMT 1B Speakers Needs A Little TLC But New Foam Surrounds | eBay

just replace the drivers with Beyma's , and voilá....:)

Multi-amped yes. I am hoping the American made +12au7/EL84 custom built amp with temporary Chinese JAN 5670 preamp, will have enough punch for the JBL 12" midbass/Fane 8M horn. I am going to use a JA6681B with the sweet sounding 2A3/45 amp and a TPL on top. They are all around 103-110dB. Will save on tube amps by mixing passive and analog active XOs.

The other two channels are more difficult to implement as the 90~dB sensitive Transmission Audio driver and the heavy sub diver will not work well with tube amps. Mixing tube amps and SS amps is a no-no. While I think about it, the three first mentioned channels will do fine for now. If not Stig-Erik make me think otherwise with his RD-75. Then I sell everything and start from scratch. :p

JA6681B, nice. What frequency range are you running them at. I currently have mine in a 340 Hz horn above a 160 Hz LeCleach horn with the Fane8m. There is always a temptation to run the Yamaha in the big horn down to 200hz

I will see it soon anyway. :)

Lucky you! Enjoy.

Basically, in the studio world, the live end is diffusion behind the listeners and dead end is the front wall and first reflection points being as much absorption as one can possibly fit to reach to the lowest frequencies. In most good studios, what you see as the front and side walls, are in fact some form of fabric with 1-2 feet of fiberglass or other insulation behind it.

Greg

Lucky you! Enjoy.

Basically, in the studio world, the live end is diffusion behind the listeners and dead end is the front wall and first reflection points being as much absorption as one can possibly fit to reach to the lowest frequencies. In most good studios, what you see as the front and side walls, are in fact some form of fabric with 1-2 feet of fiberglass or other insulation behind it.

Greg

Oh, that was what you meant. I found this calculator for a QRD Diffuser and made 2 square meters of this one: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...-time/22144d1153019297-diffuser-why-diff2.jpg
I read at the time that it did not really matter where the QRD Diffuser was in the room, along the side walls or in the back, or front. I guess there is not any strict rules when it comes to room acoustics. Just move things around until it sounds nice. Maybe do some measurements if you feel like being a**l about it. ^^,

It was interesting how it worked. At first I did not notice anything, but when I removed it out of the room I immediately wanted to put it back. It did something very pleasant with the overall sound.

I also made another kind of diffuser with different depths and behind the depths were tightly packed fiberglass, that muted reflections very good.
It looked like this: http://www.robotenvy.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/P1000427.jpg

I never felt comfortable having it in my bedroom recording studio because of all the fiberglass, which could be hazardous for the lungs. There is natural isolation fiber that looks like cotton, that is not harmful like fiberglass is harmful, but it is full of flame-retardant, which has some nasty chemicals like boron. So still nothing I would sleep comfortably next to.

It is a shame fiberglass is such a harmful material, because it is the best that I have tried. Acoustic plastic foam works, but is not as good.

About muting reflections, I read in SoundonSound magazine, in one of their studio rescue guides, that lifting the acoustic foam 5 cm off the wall really improves the absorptive effect. I tried it and it seems like it was doing a better job than before.

Most of the pro stuff is pretty ugly, but there are some new more artistic absorption panels that I would like to try. Creative wall panel Sound absorbing design elegant decorative | homecreat.com
Who wants their living room looking like an experimental dead room?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
For me who like the tube amp sound that would be a disadvantage. I suspect RD-75 are not good for tube amps. Will they run a class A amp warmer than a normal speaker?

There is no reason for that at all. The RD-75 is a very simple load to drive, 6 ohms resistive. But they will need some watts, since the sensitivity is not very high. That being said, I never use more than 20W peak.