Best t-amp capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In the schematic above C22,C25 & C27,C28 are the filter caps and should have the most influence on the sound quality. You want to keep ESR and inductance low for best filter performance.

C12,C13 are the Zobel caps. Also important - gives the amp a load at high frequencies with no speaker connected.

C8 thru 11 are RFI caps. They help drain off remaining noise before it leaves the box.

In addition to 22, 25, 28, and 27, I find C29 and C30 to make a noticeable difference as well in my Trends. These complete what I think is the 2nd order Butterworth filter. It seems like C29 and C30 are omitted in the Amp9 from 41hz, but I'm not sure I would do that. It's very difficult finding decent small sized caps to fit inside the Trends. I used MKT1817 for a while, then tried Sonicap Gen2's (with long leads to fit). I also tried out some Russion K40 caps and MKP1837 cap mixes. I can't say that I can recommend any of the caps I've tried (or not recommend them either). You'll just have to play around with them and see what works - they need to be balanced with the input caps - going all oil did not work well at all. The only major issues are size constraints and keeping leads short.

That's just my experience. BTW, the cap values on the Trends are 0.22uf (8ohm load) instead of 0.47uf as shown above. You can alter the values for your speaker if you are going to change the caps out anyway.

Hello everybody,
I have to admit I am a novice but reading and trying to understand the philosophy of the good sound not getting into the maniac extremes. So I have two amps based on TA 2021 and I would ask you to help me to upgrade them to a listenable extent /mainly replacing the input caps/. The problem is that I am using them in a three amp system as vertical mono amps driving bass and treble speakers /the mids are managed by LINN LK 100 - heavily modded/. In front of them KAIRN also heavily modded. Why them - because I have spoiled the other two LINN,s during upgrading efforts. All three amps equipped with LINN active filters /upgraded/. After reading the thread I know I have to replace the input caps but in my case they have to have different capacitance and mayby construction in order to push up the quality of highs and bass/ very unacceptable at the moment/.
Your suggestion is highly needed and appreciated.
Thanks for reading that and best regards,
Ignat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.