Best recorded CDs - Best sounding

Pink floyd - "The division bell"

I'd have to agree with that one, very clean sound - lot's of detail if you listen.

Also I'd have to say:

Dire Straits - "Brothers in Arms"

Exceptional and highly regarded as an exemplary example of the CD format when it was released and in my view still holds up very well (or at least to the limits of my, not inexpensive, system).

Dave Mathews - "Before These Crowded Streets"

Also very detailed and a great album to chill out to.

An other piece of gem:

"Coleman Hawkins encounters Ben Webster"

The recording was on October 6 1957 (!) in the Capitol Studios, Holywood .
Two master of the sax, at the piano Oscar Peterson... Hmmm, what else need you?

In my opinion the best recorded voice of sax I ever heard...

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
phn said:

"SACD is in the high frequency range quite mediocre, even compared to a good CD-system one-bit DAC, and of course clearly inferior to a CD-player with a real multi-bit converter," Ing. Öhman writes in the non-profit Swedish Audio Technical Society journal.

I think You should listen to a good system playing SACD instead of people ;)

"Swedish Audio Technical Society journal" - Ha - people running around in white uniforms - these people still keep a 7 year old Denon receiver as SOTA ... Allow me to laugh !

- I say: Cantate Domino, Proprius - on SACD!

/

el prezidente said:
sony mastersound - pink floyd - wish you were here

Yes! Not only is it my favorite album of theirs musically, but the sound quality of this one is great! I don't understand why Dark Side Of the Moon gets so many good reviews for its sound. Maybe it's just me, but I hear short-term pitch instability like analog tape flutter with DSOTM. This is with the SACD version.

One of my favorites sound-quality wise is McCoy Tyner's Illuminations SACD on Telarc. The CD layer of this is outstanding too. Though another Telarc DSD recording of his, Land Of Giants, sounds terrible to me.

andy_c said:
I don't understand why Dark Side Of the Moon gets so many good reviews for its sound. Maybe it's just me, but I hear short-term pitch instability like analog tape flutter with DSOTM. This is with the SACD version.

I can only listen to the CD layer on my hi-fi, and I can confidently say that pitch stability is the least of its problems! The sound is quite simply below par - a harsh mess.

Pink Floyd (esp circa Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, Animals) is in my top five musical artists of all time but I've never understood why any of the issues of Dark Side (and I own three) are mentioned in 'best recordings of all time' discussions. Other than the very deep bass opening and very wide stereo seperation, I've never found anything exceptional about the actual engineering, recording, mastering. I know I'm in the minority so I usually keep quiet about it.

Also very good recordings:
Frankie goes to Hollywood "Bang"
Air "Talkie Walkie"
Mike Oldfield "Tres Lunas" & "Tres Lunas II"
Cafe del Mar "Aria 1, 2 & 3
Paolo Conte "Collezione"
Saint Germain de Près "Cafè II"
Gare du Nord "Kind of Cool"
Sonata Arctica "Winterhearts Guild"
All the Finntroll CD's
and I have to agree Roger Waters "Amused to Death" ,but only the gold CD is in Superbitmapping 20bit recorded...

Yeah, the Amused To Death disc really has some amazing soundstaging and imaging surprises. I haven't listened to it in years but I was turned onto it while listening to some small handmade Italian speakers similar to Sonus Fabers... somethings sounded absolutely like they were coming from the side walls rather than inbetween the speakers. Amazing and definately worth a listen.

I must tell you about this one: "Michael Ruff with Straitjacket". Recorded live in "Easy Sound Recording" studios in Copenhagen. Only a minor audience, but what, you can hear every one of them clapping! The sound of that CD is amazing. I have never heard a live recording as good as that;) They really did wipe off the dust on the mic's, when they recorded that one! The music is a really groovy kind of jazz/funk/rock'ish kind of style! It's recorded in 1996, and if Ruff ever visit Denmark again, I will attend:D Crystal clear, deep bass, sharply cut recording:) Unfortunately not easy to get your hands on:bawling:

Steen:cool: