Best recorded CDs - Best sounding

SW said:
One of my best:

" Brian Bromberg - Wood"

On the back side of the CD a simple. small yellow label:

"Best Jazz Recording" award by Swing Journal Magazine - Japan

Thanks for this tip. I bought it yesterday and I agree it's a very good recording from an amazing bass player.

Straight up there with some other good productions I like:

Tubular Bells II - Mike Oldfield. Maybe a little over produced and 'technical' to some of you, but the quality is amazing.

Best of Chesky Classics and Jazz and Audiophile test vol 1,2,3
Chesky 10th anniversary Special Edition 2 CD
Probably my favorite recording studio

recent, Norah Jones, come away with me on Blue Note

Keith Jarrett, Up for it (ECM) good live recording

Sergio Mendes - Brasileiro. Ever heard how the top 100 samba percussionists of Rio sound together? Listen to track 1 for some explosive recording!

Dgo!

Then here is my second propose to you:

Charlie Haden - Kenny Barron : "Night and the City"

- 1999 Best Jazz Instrumental Performance nominee for Grammy Award -

I think this recording the one of the best living performance - naturally from Verve Records

one of the first posters mentioned Shpongle - they are quite good in the ambient set (Check out "Tales of The Inexpressible")
Also along the same lines is Celtic Cross "Hicksville" on Dragonfly records...
As far as classical music goes, check out Prof. Johnson's reference recordings, especially the Tutti sampler and also "Vivaldi for diverse instruments". Also, there is a Gary Karr - ADAGIO D'ALBINONI GOLD CD (Hard to find, but great dynamics!)
In jazz there are many to choose - of course, there is Brubeck's "Take five" already mentioned, but do not forget about Coltrane - "Giant Steps" (MFSL - UDCD 605 is a GOLD disc with Excellent sound!)
For rock in general, there are many great recordings really...
"The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site" is an excellent album (punk roots). Pink Floyd DSOTM of course, and Metallica's "Master of Puppets" is awesome, and set the tone for many a band to follow!
There are my 2 cents...

Here are some really good recordings; a little for everyone. Heed my advice, these are ******* unbeliveable recordings.

10,000 Maniacs- MTV live
natalie merchant - live in concert
Rush- Moving pictures
metallica ...and justice for all
Soul coughing - irresistable bliss
Snoop dogg- doggystyle (yes, state of the art recording)
van morrison- moondance
counting crows- august and everything after

Hugh Masekela (don't know title. Its live)

you most probably mean the album "Hope" which is indeed very good, both musically and technically. Specially worth mentioning is Stimely ("the coal train") with its dramatic and very musical use of dynamics.
It is hard to get in Europe though, but you can get busloads of it in SA (where I bought some and imported them into Switzerland last year).

Regards

Charles

Thanks for that
I've been hoping for an excuse to get some more
Alison Krauss since I heard her cover of
"Can't find my way home". If "Forget About It" is
well recorded as well, I guess I'll have no
excuse left to resist buying it. (see thread "How do
the industry justify the price of a CD?" elsewhere in
the forum)

[I'm seeking for very high quality recording CD's (all genre)

I know already that TELARC are doing well, and Sheffield Lab too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be very wary of audiophile recordings just because the label says so- they do it to make money.

The Wilson test record is truly good. Many so called hi rez discs are poorly mastered; the bright ones often have massive spiles between 15 kHz and 18kHz; I believe because of video pickup from the mastering displays or because of recording head resonance.

All the Classic 24/96 recordings suffer, as do some Chesky compilations. The worst ever is the Naxos SACD/DVD recordings with massive (>30dB from noise floor) spikes at about 15.6kHZ.
Get rid of thede with Audition 1.5 (by trial and error using the notch filter as the FFT doesn't measure the frequency accurrately, and you have a much more acceptable sound.

I now do a FFT analysis of all discs before playing. The spikes, or lack of them definitely affects hf performance.

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Janis Ian - Breaking silence
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-2227772-6604710?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

An exceptional recording and a real treat for Karrin Allyson, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Holly Cole etc type of music fans.

I also recommend Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething (SACD). Recording is excellent in it's own somewhat different way. Twentysomething SACD multichannel recordings are horrifying.

Cassandra Wilson has truly enjoyable recordings but the music is too phlegmatic and gloomy for me.

Check out also Van Den Hul! I have Louis van Dijk: Family and friends and Jeroen de Rijk & friends: Central Heating. Don't know about the rest.
http://www.vandenhul.com/recordings_vdh-carbon/index.htm
http://www.vandenhul.com/recordings_pentatone/index.htm

keyser said:
i think the air recording is good too. I also like moon safari from the same band. It's hissy, and has loose bass, but it sounds very natural and "analogue" .

Agreed. People sometimes complain to me when they hear so much hiss, but it doesn't bother me at all. That new Air album(forget which by name, a friend lent it) has some astounding bass! I find Zero 7 similar musically, but more of a clean studio sound.

My friend brought round Giant Sand - Is All Over The Map. That CD has possibly the most spine-tingling, dynamic, noise-free, natural sound I've heard. Stunningly real piano. And cool, weird music. I'm buying it...

Joni Mitchell - Hits and Bee Gees - This is Where I Came in are two ultra-clean sounding discs. Stunning fidelity. It's hard to believe how much life comes off those old Joni Mitchell recordings! These two are HDCDs, no surprise. (altho the Bee Gees album is mostly cr@p musically speaking)

If you like classical music, almost everything in the Harmonia Mundi France catalog is superbly recorded. My personal reference recording is Georges Pludermacher playing Debussy on HMC901504. I listen to A LOT of piano music and this is the most realistic Ive heard and Pludermacher plays beautifully. For the hedonist, there is Akiko Ebi playing Chopin Nocturnes on Pierre Verany PV700017.

John

B000000OC6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Barcelona", by Freddie Mercury and Monserrat Caballé - my God, what voices. Rock opera done right, and the recording quality is breathtaking, specially on the tracks "Barcelona" and "The golden boy" (the gospel-like parts are amazing!). Not your everyday opera, but has excellent songs. Highly reccomended.

I have a little DIY Sound Quality CD with songs I put together when evaluating in-store speakers but I would have to strongly second the Breaking Silence CD by Janis Ian - tracks 1, 6 and 12 are three of my favorite SQ songs in general all on one CD. The Telarc Sampler Vol 4 is also one of my favorites. There is one particular track that has an amazing soundstage. Lots of lesser known and under-appreciated (by general audiences) pieces.

I've seen Janis Ian - Breaking Silence (audiophile edition on Cooking Vinyl) ) been recommended quite a few times now in this thread and as a great fan of hers I've bought it.

= and now can fully recommend this one as well. Thanks guys, great addition to my music library. Apart from the good recording and production. I really love Janis' voice, clearly matured compared to her earlier work. I also like the choices they made for accompanying instruments. Especially that big acoustic drum. Amazing sound. Ans as always, her lyrics are great.

I also would like to make some other 'vocals' recommendations of my 'recent discoveries'

Dianne Reeves - in the Moment (Blue Note)
This is a live studio recording. Very musical recording, very dynamic. A real showcase of Dianne's talents on track 3 and 8 (resp. The First Five Chapters and The Best Times(Grandma's song). The performances of Afro Blue and Love for Sale make me forget the Studio versions.

Rachelle Ferrell - First Instrument (Blue Note)
Studio Album. Good dynamic production with a lot of detail. Simply amazing what this lady can do with her voice. Again tracks 3 and 8 really deserve extra recommendation. Shivers down my spine. And you gotta love that stick bass.