Best recorded CDs - Best sounding

The best CD I've ever heard was a sampler that HiFi News and Record Reviews taped to the cover of their magazine ... long ago.
The disc was put together by electronics company Meridian and I believe that Tim de Paravicini had something to do with the production. It had some wonderful Handel sung by Lorraine Hunt and a Bach Trio Sonata played on the organ by John Butt.
Subsequently, I bought regular releases of some of the music but sonically none of it was as as good.
I lost that disk (house break-in) so if anyone has a copy they don't want...
At least your recording ended up - apparently- in the hands of an audiophile burglar.

Meagre consolation, I know.
These compilations are often attractive selections from nicely done and recorded albums. Same experience here. Doesn’t mean the whole brand /edition is of the same level (musically disappointing in the best case…). I use compilations to spot good recordings on original albums (where these exist).

But sorry I can’t help with the retrieval of a lost treasure.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's ten well recorded high quality sounding discs

Rachmaninoff Piano concerto 2 - Earl Wild - Chesky Records
I have this on an old 'Readers Digest' LP and it sounds great, picked it up for $1 at a school fete. Coupled with the Litolff (sp?) Scherzo. Some of those'old' analogue recordings really sound nice: HMV Classics, RCA Living Stereo, Mercury Living Presence etc. are well worth hunting down. 'Decca Phase Four' albums could also be good, although in its Rachmaninov Second with Ilana Vered the piano sound is a bit too 'big'.

Geoff

Geoff said, "Some of those 'old' analogue recordings really sound nice: HMV Classics, RCA Living Stereo, Mercury Living Presence etc. are well worth hunting down."

Yes they are. About twenty years ago (or more) the Absolute Sound magazine was reviewing and reporting on them which drove the prices sky high in used record stores and on line. I watched some of them sell for $100 or more. Thankfully they have come back down to a reasonable price. I've been lucky enough to collect quite a few of these old discs over the years. And I bought a Chesky Earl Wild vinyl when they were available new.