Best low noise regulator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Response to a current saltus.
Loading-100ma current, is set by the constant resistor of 150 Ohms on an output. Current races about 100 mA. Frequency-1kHz.

Attachments

• begemot_101_Vout_100us.jpg
    begemot_101_Vout_100us.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 631
  • begemot_102_Vout_500ns_dnstep.jpg
    begemot_102_Vout_500ns_dnstep.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 610
  • begemot_103_Vout_500ns_dnstep_10mv.jpg
    begemot_103_Vout_500ns_dnstep_10mv.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 611
  • begemot_104_Vout_50ns_dnstep_20mv.jpg
    begemot_104_Vout_50ns_dnstep_20mv.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 601
  • begemot_105_Vout_500ns_upstep.jpg
    begemot_105_Vout_500ns_upstep.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 594
  • begemot_106_Vout_500ns_upstep_10mv.jpg
    begemot_106_Vout_500ns_upstep_10mv.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 100
  • begemot_107_Vout_50ns_upstep_20mv.jpg
    begemot_107_Vout_50ns_upstep_20mv.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 108
Would be nice to add current limiting to any regulator design. Then you can add OVP too :)
If you need such a superior design, what is it powering, does it contain expensive components that need PS protection features?
Also suggest to add tracking, assuming that is something you want, that way you can save on one reference element and put the $ saved towards a tighter grade ref for higher accuracy.

Last edited:
Post 477 -- given that the power line frequency is 50Hz in Moscow, I am questioning those measurements which show the typical Audio Precision power line at 60Hz.

Post 478 -- the AP is quieter in the analog mode, but I don't know if the measurements you show are possible given the NE5532 error amplifier.

Post 480 -- output impedance is a not only a function of the pass transistor beta (you've shown a Darlington which is very high) but also the load. Is Zout -70dB relative to 50Ω or 1Ω?

I don't see any HP4194a type data although you state that it is one of the instruments used.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dazzz, I don't think you should use the temp rise of a regulator as a measure for 'quality'.
The temp rise depends on how much watts it must absorb. This watts is the voltage from input to output times the output current. It is the same for any part only depends on the circuit they are used in.

Now a large package has more heat capacity so will heat up slower and not so much as a small package. And a heatsink will lower the temp rise of course.
But it is not the quality of the part.

Jan

Dazzz, I don't think you should use the temp rise of a regulator as a measure for 'quality'.
The temp rise depends on how much watts it must absorb. This watts is the voltage from input to output times the output current. It is the same for any part only depends on the circuit they are used in.

Now a large package has more heat capacity so will heat up slower and not so much as a small package. And a heatsink will lower the temp rise of course.
But it is not the quality of the part.

Jan

The temperature was just an example
built the same Voltage reg
For example
3.3V
Gives power to all audio processors
And it has a lot of
load
Over the 1A
With LT3081 hardly heats up
With LT1764 heats up much
With the same heatsink
In the same place circuit
The
LT3088 (800ma)
LT3081 (1.5A)
LT3091 (1.5A)
Amazing very stable voltage does not change even if the load light or very large.
also the lt3081 lt3091
has Programmable Current Limit
and
Positive or Negative Output Current Monitor

( Add CADJ 0.1Uf and diode and you have soft start . As the cap greater in value
the Soft start time is bigger and the Output Noise, PSRR,
Transient Response is Improving Especially in the lower frequencies )

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The temperature was just an example
built the same Voltage reg
For example
3.3V
Gives power to all audio processors
And it has a lot of
load
Over the 1A
With LT3081 hardly heats up
With LT1764 heats up much
With the same heatsink
In the same place circuit

What I wanted to explain is that if they are in the same circuit, they will dissipate exactly the same power.
If they have different temperature, it is because you use different packages, or a different PCB layout.

The temp does say noting about the regulator quality.

Edit: depending on the output load capacitance, a regulator can oscillate. In that case they can disipate more power and really heat up. Maybe that happens with some regulators.

Jan

Last edited:
Our circuit works better...
This is funny. Especially the terms "Our" and "Russian answer". :)
This is my circuit and measurements. They were described in my thread of this forum ???????????? ??????????? ???????? ??????? ? ??????? ??????????? ??????? ??????
as soon as a couple of my Russian-speaking friends showed interest in it. More detailed description, measurement setup and calibration is described in this article https://linearaudio.net/article-detail/2257

This is Russian answer...
This circuit has nothing to do with Russia as well as it was not designed to compete with Jung's or any other circuit. I fact, Walter Jung's publications inspired me to try it.

Post 477 -- given that the power line frequency is 50Hz in Moscow, I am questioning those measurements which show the typical Audio Precision power line at 60Hz.
You absolutely right. Measurements were taken in US, in sunny Colorado. And yes, it is 60Hs.
As per network analyzer question, I tried both HP 4194A and AP instr 300 analyzers as soon as I had acsess to both. They showed similar results, but AP data is more convenient to save.

You absolutely right. Measurements were taken in US, in sunny Colorado. And yes, it is 60Hs.
As per network analyzer question, I tried both HP 4194A and AP instr 300 analyzers as soon as I had acsess to both. They showed similar results, but AP data is more convenient to save.

I still don't see how the noise shown in the chart is possible with an NE5532 error amplifier.

Will just have to build your reg and check for myself.

With regard to output impedance the Jung-Didden regulator gets below 10 microOhms.

As long as you have an AP at your disposal, try this -- put a signal on the supply rail through a good quality polypropylene cap, minimally load the supply to the point where it is consistently stable, run an FFT and look at the harmonics.

As far as the title of this thread is concerned, no integrated regulator
can hold the candle to the LT3042.

One impressive (little - MSSOP) device, missing from the datasheet -- output impedance.

I hadn't seen this application note previously -- picks up on an apnote which Jim Williams wrote some years previously: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/application-note/an159fa.pdf

Another reason to purchase a tin of Danish butter cookies!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.