Best low noise regulator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
build the neg. side, this has no probs with the mentioned cap over R2. For some reason, the op177 seems to be fine choice as error amp, and cheap as well.

Iko,
You should be able to calculate Vout = (R2*Vref/R3)+Vref, so you see, even small deviations in the LEDs (=Vref) can lead to quite a bit of difference.

Rüdiger

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Onvinyl said:

Iko,
You should be able to calculate Vout = (R2*Vref/R3)+Vref, so you see, even small deviations in the LEDs (=Vref) can lead to quite a bit of difference.

Rüdiger

What are you powering with it now? I know it feels good to make your own design, and since it works up to your expectations, even better.

Ultra low noise series voltage regulator (stabilizator) +-15V.

Attachments

• sxema2.jpg
    sxema2.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
Q1 and Q2 should have resistors to ground at the emitters to give them basic bias in case of low load current. Otherwise they will glitch on transients because the outputs will be horribly slow and very capacitive, easily saturating the drivers. Furthermore the dramatic reduction in Ft may destabilize the feedback loop and cause oscillation or resonance.

The D4xH11 are huge and slow outputs compared to the loading this reg is designed for. You will get better RF PSRR by using outputs suited to the application, which in this case would be something like the MJE150xx pair from ONSemi.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
yesterday I noticed the big surface mount D2PAK LM317/337, listed as 40V/1.5A devices
are they good ? I dont know, but decided to give them a try

apparetntly the output cap should not have too low ESR
just thought I would mention it since most curcuits I have seen have had bypass film caps etc
and I have never heard about this before

tinitus
This is no good for low noise high quality audio applications.
If you use LM317, LM337 you may improve datasheet scheme.
If you are interesting, I shall write later how to do this.
You can do this.

Attachments

• LM317 improve_1024.jpg
    LM317 improve_1024.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Tinitus, look at the MC78xx/79xx regulator series from ONSemi. Going by the datasheet they are much improved versions of the LM regulators. They should perform better than the 337/317 except for not going below 5V. You can order samples. I would be very interested in your results with these.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Tinitus, look at the MC78xx/79xx regulator series from ONSemi.

Im going to use TO-92, MC78L12ACPG/MC79L12ACPG for +/-12V
relatively expencive, but they looked better than cheaper ones
maybe they are just 'selected', I dont know

but I also need 30V
and my trafo AC voltage is 2x 0-24-28V
I think the input voltage will be too high for any of the 78xx/79xx :confused:

would be easier to buy two new trafos
and probably even cheaper too, and easier
but what would I learn from that

tinitus
This is no good for low noise high quality audio applications.
If you use LM317, LM337 you may improve datasheet scheme.
If you are interesting, I shall write later how to do this.

bass guitar preamp :D but since such amp curcuits are often 'simple', it ought to be benefitial with good low noise supply ;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Tinitus, look at the MC78xx/79xx .......they should perform better than the 337/317 ......

thats what I read, some time ago
but was told later it is rubbish

now, I expect it could very well be true
my guess is.......
'fixed voltage' types probably benefits from the much simpler ground connection

as said, I would use fixed volatge types
but the adjustable LM317 variant 'appears' to handle higher voltage
thats would be my only reason
and yeah, for whatever strange reason, not sure there would be a 20V type, if thats what you needed

For the LM devices it may be true. But I would treat the MC series as a different animal until I had some direct experience. IIRC according to the datasheet they are better than the LM3x7 and LM78xx/79xx series. I haven't measured them myself because I trust the datasheet, and the datasheet says they're better. I trust that means they should sound better.

Jenyok (and anyone else), I'm interested in what you think about my Kmultipliers. This is a bit more on-topic anyways. I've written a website article about them since I think they deserve some good documentation. I'd appreciate feedback on the article from anyone:

The K Multiplier

Note that OnSemi uses 500mA load current on the MC78XX devices in their data sheet -- Zout is inversely related to load current, when you make this adjustment Zout for the LM317 @15V would appear identical to the MC78XXX.

If you're going to use the LM317/337 avoid the temptation of using more than a few tens of uF on the adjust pin --

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
MC type ? and high input voltage :scratch2:.....:idea: highest output voltage, 24V, ofcourse

and voila, there it is, MC7824/7924, both 40V types, TO-220, 1A max for the negative, 2A for positive

Kean, you are a great guy

:scratch:
so, now I have might have the negative side of symmetric +/- sorted by using fixed voltage MC types

and for the higher 30V voltage I only need a positive voltage
and thus 'could' use a variable LM317
which I 'suspect' present less problems than the negative one, maybe

sorry if I sound confused, but that I am :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.