Best low noise regulator?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You did very well. Stash enough.

In the meantime, if it is pressing to make them, it looks like working with 2N5459s for Q2,Q5 on simulator. But don't go over 30V Vin, bcs 2N5459 is a 25V device, and Q5 gets Vin-Vleds. Use 2SKGR for Q6. Its actually fortunate you have GR for that particular position, because it is sensitive for pinch off, and the lower the IDSS the better the breathing under the Vbe margin Q6 works. When you will get new BLs, restore Q2, it works smoother there at least on sim.

The Vin was one of my next questions. How low can I go ?
Yes it is pressing.. I will solder a set with 2Ns in the weekend and see how it goes. I will use sockets so they will be easily replaced when the 170s are at hand. Two last questions..
- From your photos I conclude that C4 should be of good quality, right ?
- The V in should be well filtered ?

Hi salas,

Positive board ready and tested (camera is on Easter vacation with family. so photos next week).
Vin 28 V
V out after power on 15.32 V stabilizes to 15.47 V after some time.
With no load a small heatsink attached to Q4 gets barely warm.

I'm confused about fet connection for the negative board. Schematic doesn't help. Is D and G connected together instead of G & S for the positive ?

Could you please help me on that ?

Both shunts are running.

-V out 16.05 V
+V out 15.48 V

Trying to track where is the difference, I measured V across leds is the same (5.82 V), V across the zeners differ exactly as the output (14.85V for V+, 15.41 for V-). I think this is normal, isn't it ? Should the zeners be matched ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Marinos said:
Thanks,
I think that tomorrow I'll be listening to them.:)

Yes, listen and tell me first impressions Vs batteries you used to have. They will sound better after 48hours of use, I know from experience. Also by then you will be able to see if the Zeners changed a little, and also able to tell if the OPAs will appreciate the matching of Zeners.

Hi salas,

Listening impressions are very good. For me the main sonic advantage of the batteries was the homogeneous presentation they have. The sound with the shunts has the same homogeneity, plus much more detail, plus explosive dynamics in a musical manner. Enough with magazine like words.... A very worthwhile experiment. Shunts stay..:yes:

As you can imagine, for the time being, my pre is a rats nest. In order to close the project I would like your opinion on these :
- Is splitting the PSU for each channel (dual mono) worth the effort ?
- Each channel uses 2 OPA627s. Should I experiment with higher current ?

Thank you salas.:wave:

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am happy that you like the particular shunts. There is much voicing put in to them besides tech considerations. As you see, batteries are not the holy grail once believed to be.

-Yes, dual mono is worthy. You will notice increased spatial differentiation and more concrete overall sound.

-No, 90mA running CCS current is many times what 2 OPA627s can ever dream of asking for.

Did you ever try them forced class A output stage via resistor from neg to out by the way? I had devised an OPA627-37 line pre in 1991 (had to make an expensive special order for the OPAs when I eyed them in their then fresh instrumentation Difet brochure), and I remember that forcing class A in their output was worthwhile.

*The shunts are going to improve their subjective qualities after enough play time.

**They are going to sound a bit smoother when the BJT's Idss collector load is gonna be 2SK170BL, I saw that Spencer has already mailed them to you.

***Its nice to know that the 2N5459s did the job nicely too.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You are welcome.

Yes I left it out intentionally, because with actively loaded BJT driver, the performance is adequate enough so not to be tempted to add bootstrap via cap that can introduce some side effects too, since no elcap is perfect. We run the LEDs with enough current on individual CCS so to be very low noise anyway. A simpler simplistic shunt then.:D

Its nice to know that the shunts show their benefits in high PSRR op amp applications too.

Happy Easter, enjoy your new sound.

Hi salas,

I'm planning the dual mono version of shunts and I need your opinion on these:

- Because mounting 4 shunts on the existing chassis is not practical, I would like to use some board level heatsinks (see photo) that I already have. These are for TO220 packages, 35mm wide, 38 mm tall, Rth 11 C/W aprox. What do you think ? Is it adequate for Q4 (Q1 will be left bare) ?

- Fanos restocked GRs so I can use GRs for Q5 and Q6 as well. Should I use them or BLs are a better option for that positions ?

- If I'm interpreting things right there are 4 parts on the schematic. The current setting (R1,Leds,Q1,Q5,R4), the voltage setting (D1,C2,Q6,R5), the regulator bias (Q2,Q3,R3), the current regulator (Q4,R6,C4). The 2 last parts should be in close proximity (layout wise) ?

Attachments

• l507476-01.gif
    l507476-01.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,591
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello,

1. For your current and voltage they seem more than OK for Q4. Q1 can be left bare in your situation, but a silly small sink like those for 7812 or 317 that just sit on air, supported by the semiconductor screw only, would make you feel better for long term reliability, given the Greek Summer coming with some heatwaves to boot.

2. BL for Q5, high Idss ones, around 10mA and over. Get a few GRs though so to stock Q6 for possible future shunts like those, because GR has the lowest pinch off under Vbe and that helps the under Zener CCS performance.

3. It better be compact as a whole.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
LEDs, R1, and Q1's Vgs determine the constant current. Q1 creates it. Q5 locks the current through the LEDs for even better voltage reference regarding steadiness and noise. At near 10mA they are doing better according to LED master SY.

Zener is the Vref for Vout. Q6 locks it current wise to its benefit.

Q2 actively loads Q3 for good gm*LoadImpedance regulation loop.

Q4 does the current duty. C4 terminates closely.

I am just putting together a 16A one for the lamb motor. Beer closed circuit sink cooling featured. I am having problems determining the fluid's quality. I am leaning towards Kaiser at the moment.:clown:

Attachments

• kaiserbeer.jpg
    kaiserbeer.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,567
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.