Best handheld multimeter for $100ish?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tre is one interesting option, Sanwa PC5000a but to purchase somewhere in Serbia or Bosnia and Hercegovina.
Why? Because in Farnell that instruments sells for £343.62 but can be found in those countries for less than 150Euro (~ £106) !!!
I don't know how that is possible and what is the trick?!
I first thinks that was some fakes or to have some issues, but no, they works perfectly according to specification. I own it, several colleagues also have it, works like a charm! Several other users from our local forum reported to work correct for instruments purchased in different stores/countries.

Other options of course are Fluke. Robust and safe on first place, then it's precision which they keep for very long time.

The 5000a is an outgoing model, and the price you're paying for it is around what it actually went for in Japan. But Farnell list price for tools are rarely good value.

Will the 115 or 117 accomplish everything that we need it to?
I don't know what you "need it to do", but the Fluke 115 will measure voltage, resistance, and current as good or better than any DMM out there. It is PERFECT for the home DIY enthusiast.

...I don't want to hurt myself. But I also don't want to throw a ton of money away for a super accurate professional grade item, when I am a complete amateur. Here is why. I may not enjoy this hobby.
If you buy cheap equipment (soldering iron, DMM, etc.) you will probably not enjoy this hobby. I'm also a musician and have witnessed people buying the cheapest instrument they can find and wondering why they hate to practice. Guitars, pianos, etc. that feel and sound bad will not inspire anyone to practice. If you use poor quality soldering irons, solder, DMM's, and tools, it will make kit-building and electronic DIY a PAIN. Cheap DMM's are frustrating...the leads are horrible, the meter sometimes gives erratic readings, they don't usually last very long, etc. etc.

Besides, a good DMM is great to have in a kitchen drawer even if you don't like deep, electronic DIY.

Also, bear in mind that a DMM is just a DMM. Although necessary and very useful, for serious kit-building, especially in audio, the DMM will not perform some required tests, and additional (intermediate to advanced level) equipment is required. The next instrument above the DMM would be the Oscilloscope, and it is powerful in what it can do for electronic testing, troubleshooting, calibration, etc. (in the right hands, I might add). If I had to choose one test instrument for working on audio equipment, it would be the oscilloscope.

I'd scour eBay for a used Fluke 73 III or above. Many times you can find clean units for $50-60. Get one that's either calibrated or tested (with pictures showing the test).

I do understand the Harbor Freight philosophy. While that may work for some, I find I get frustrated with the limited battery life and questionable reliability of the el-cheapo meters. I used to buy cheap tools and be frustrated every time I used them. I would eventually buy the more expensive tools. These days, I just buy the right tool the first time and move on... Each to his own, I guess.

For bench-top meters, the HP3478A is incredible bang for the buck. $150 calibrated... The only drawback is that it maxes out at 300 V, so be careful around tube circuits.

Another useful source of test equipment is Used-Line. The prices are typically towards the higher end compared to eBay, but the equipment is typically clean and fully tested.

~Tom

They have some hand helds on amazon for around 100.. what would you recommend?
I have a couple of new handheld and iPad "scopes" here at the college that I haven't had time to really evaluate, yet. So, I can't really say anything about those. But, I know for most things, I would want a real oscilloscope...not a handheld or iPad-type. These look like I would enjoy them to play with, but not to use for real work.

I've always been a Tektronix guy, and they have always been there for me. At home on the bench, I have a Tek 475 and a Tek 2245. In my electronics labs at the college, I have Tek TDS-2002B's. For some applications (such as RF and radio work), I like the old analog-style 'scopes (like my 475), but for most jobs, the digital scopes are nice.

I understand Rigol makes a couple of nice, lower priced oscilloscopes, but I've yet to use one. From what I read, they have a few quirks, but are really inexpensive. Used oscilloscopes are all over the internet (ebay, Craigslist, etc.), but unless you are very familiar with them, the brands, and the models, I would think you could easily get burned on a purchase. Just beware of used equipment...understand the risks and accept them, if you choose.

HP3478A is incredible bang for the buck. $150 calibrated... The only drawback is that it maxes out at 300 V, so be careful around tube circuits.

This is not as important limitation when the meter was input voltage protection.
From the other hand I am not aware of any Oscilloscope at dirt cheap range, which has differential probe capability.
How in earth some one will touch tubes with out such a probe?

According to today standards the bill for safe and reliable audio testing will require:
Multimeter at 200$ range as minimum
DSO Oscilloscope at 1200$
Differential probe at 400$
Function Generator at 300$
Portable LCR bridge at 250$
And all those tools are just for measurements.

The idea of getting tools and working with electronics is a long journey which other than an entry level cost about specialized tools, the next requirement is you to be compatible, so to accept an significant amount of knowledge.
So to play the game by following rules and using your head about solving puzzles.

If all that some one has is enthusiasm and not the required compatibility he will never make it to create working electronics for him or for anyone else.

If you buy cheap equipment (soldering iron, DMM, etc.) you will probably not enjoy this hobby. I'm also a musician and have witnessed people buying the cheapest instrument they can find and wondering why they hate to practice. Guitars, pianos, etc. that feel and sound bad will not inspire anyone to practice. If you use poor quality soldering irons, solder, DMM's, and tools, it will make kit-building and electronic DIY a PAIN. Cheap DMM's are frustrating...the leads are horrible, the meter sometimes gives erratic readings, they don't usually last very long, etc. etc.

Besides, a good DMM is great to have in a kitchen drawer even if you don't like deep, electronic DIY.

Thats my exact point. Regardless of my interest in this hobby I feel that a good DMM is an important purchase. That is why I am starting here. I set a 100 price point because it seemed to be a "reasonable" one. But if it is not going to provide me with a decent quality tool I can adjust the price point as necessary. But what I don't want to do, is buy something that is vastly superior to any realistic needs.

Think of it like this. I could take a Barret .50cal sniper rifle deer hunting. I certainly could shoot a dear with it. It would be WAY overkill, and would be a poor use of $15k if I was wanting a good quality deer rifle.

You could also go out and buy a $10 BB gun, that clearly is not adequate. The reality is, that there is a balance of needs, costs, wants, etc. That I am not 100% certain of. That is why I am asking for some help. Where is that pricepoint? Which meter seems to work the best meeting reasonable criteria. I want/need one regardless of any DIY audio project, that I am considering in the future. But, being that I am considering this project, I would like to future proof myself to facilitate that.

As per oscilloscopes, soldering tools, 3d printers, mig welders, microchip manufacturing lithographs, all of that can wait. (I am having a laugh here, fwiw.)

So my question again rests in a Safe good multimeter for home use, and DIY audio in the future.

I would really prefer a new one, even if it costs a bit more, though. Simply because, you never know how someone else takes care of things. And I tend to be a bit of a stickler when it comes to my tools, and other nice things.

Not really a fan of buying used tools.

With that said where should i set my sights? Is a fluke 175 / 177 overkill? If so is the 117 good enough?
I think you would be happy with a new Fluke 117. But, if money is not the issue and you think you may regret it later, then get the 175. I only have two DMM's: the Fluke 23 (over 20 years old and basically a Fluke 77) and a Fluke 114. I've never needed anything else. But, I also have other equipment.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Just yesterday I ordered Meter #1 and also Meter #2 from amazon.com USA.

Both are spec'd to handle 1000VDC. Since I mostly work on solid state gear, this wasn't an important consideration for me.

I bought two different meters so I could find out whether I strongly preferred one or the other. What semiconductor people call "a split lot". If I end up deciding that I really DO strongly prefer Z instead of Y, why then I'll buy a couple more Z's. They're cheap. Cheaper than a bottle of wine at a nice restaurant. Cheaper than a high quality vacuum tube.

I specifically wanted autoranging and auto power-off, to preserve battery life. The 15 year old, cheap and cheezy "Web-tronics.com" meters these are replacing, can run down a 9V battery in 5 days if you leave it turned on and forgot about it till next weekend. Hopefully these new meters are much better.

One of them has NCV (non contact voltage measurement) for locating "hot" mains AC wires.

One of them has true-RMS capability.

One of them comes with a type-K thermocouple and a degrees-C / degrees-F measurement function.

Both of them have a backlight behind the LCD display. Both have a frequency counter mode. Both have a "4000 counts" display, which some call "3 and 3/4 digits".

Both have an accuracy of 0.5% on the DC volts scale.

One of them has a capacitance measurement mode.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.