Best Clarity CD-R for burning music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:

O.K. I read the set up on pages 9 & 10 and left a green check mark by EAC,CDRDAO,FLAC,AccurateRip. I guess this will be ok, as I am not familiar with these options. Anyhow, upon further reading pg.11 and so forth, this manual is saying to download a few other things like Foobar2000, Kernal Streaming (KS) and ASIO components, etc, etc. My question is: Are all these downloads necessary?

Thanks

Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs

FWIW I would be very suspicious of the marketing clap-trap on the MOFI site. Last time I checked they were not manufacturing their own media, and this all sounds suspiciously like marketing techno-babble IMHO. How on earth do you measure the jitter on a blank CD-R - presumably one must first record on it, and then measure the BLER of the recorded media having done so, but this is not clearly spelled out. I suspect any reputable media manufacturer already has rigorous QC procedures in place and this is just adding unnecessary steps and expense to the product if true as stated.
I agree with the skepticism about MoFi.

Taiyo Yuden -- supposedly the originator of the CD-R format and the largest manuf. of the media (others, like Verbatim, etc use them as OEM) -- puts out blank optical discs that are inexpensive, well made, sample-to-sample consistent and are the overall favorite of users on CDFreaks.com and similar forums. Search these sites for Nero/CDSpeed-based tests -- done by a lot of the "geeks" who have burned 1000s of discs for us. The culmination of their results are statistically significant. The winner is Taiyo Yuden.

As far as burners ... again see reviews and forum messages at CDFreaks, CDRInfo, etc. E.g., Benq or Philips are good bets, they are not $$, and will burn DVDs, too. Use EAC for ripping, and good burn software (Nero, etc.).

Also see the recent, topically-related thread Burned CD-R copy vs. original (commercially-pressed) CD on diyhifi.org

OK, Now I am slightly confussed:confused: So, let me see if what I have gathered here is correct! I use the EAC to rip the music, then I must use another program like Nero to burn the music? I thought that the EAC did both! I have SB Audigy for burning, but I don't know if it would do the same job as Nero:bawling:

Some years ago while trying different discs and writers (yamaha writer sounded best then) we also found that demagnetising of CDR discs with a Bedini unit or similar made a very big difference, far greater then on regular CDs and easily as big as beteen different blank brands. We treated b4 and after writing. I assume that the dye contains more "magneitc" particles then the artwork print on regular CDs...

tubenut said:
Some years ago while trying different discs and writers (yamaha writer sounded best then) we also found that demagnetising of CDR discs with a Bedini unit or similar made a very big difference, far greater then on regular CDs and easily as big as beteen different blank brands. We treated b4 and after writing. I assume that the dye contains more "magneitc" particles then the artwork print on regular CDs...

I have the Bedini Ultra Clarifier. So, Are you saying to run a disc on the clarifier before and after burning?

FSHZ:42 said:
OK, Now I am slightly confussed:confused: So, let me see if what I have gathered here is correct! I use the EAC to rip the music, then I must use another program like Nero to burn the music? I thought that the EAC did both! I have SB Audigy for burning, but I don't know if it would do the same job as Nero:bawling:
EAC rips audio CD to WAV files. It can also burn audio CD from WAV files.

You guys are all deranged.

Learn to play a musical instrument and STOP THINKING SO MUCH, it's making you ill.

You can get a lot of pleasure from music if you just focus a little less on the reproduction (which is closer to perfection than has ever been the case previously) and more on the content.

All this stuff you're coming out with is just some kind of ANTI-MUSIC, which erodes rather than elevates the spirit.

For your own sake get a grip on yourselves.

w

The CD format is a wonderous thing, it hides and even corrects loss of data which usually happens on each play and on practically all discs . For obvious reasons manufacturers don't do it but if all players came with an LED or counter indicating loss of data I think this discussion on best media and speed would be a lot different.
Cheers :)

fredex said:
The CD format is a wonderous thing, it hides and even corrects loss of data which usually happens on each play and on practically all discs . For obvious reasons manufacturers don't do it but if all players came with an LED or counter indicating loss of data I think this discussion on best media and speed would be a lot different.
Cheers :)

Yeah such a LED would be useful. I fitted one on my ancient DAC using the CS8412 error output (but it didn't report all errors). Anyway I only use playback from harddisk these days.

I think this thread misses the point. If the bits recovered from two CDs are identical, and they sound different, then your system is broken.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.