Best Clarity CD-R for burning music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mooly said:
It's very revealing to burn the same brand of disc at different speeds and to look at the RF signal ( eye pattern ) when played back on a "normal" CD player. I found higher speed=better quality on my burner.

Yes we also looked at the eye pattern, but the counter needs no interpretation. Interesting you had the same experience. What high speed did you use? The reason I ask is my tech friend said there is a maximum speed on burners before the rotation speed changes from constant velocity to variable, I think. I am no expert here and have a bad memory but x16 springs to mind.
If higher speeds on all burners produce less errors, my guess is that the higher speed gives the spinning disc more inertia and thus irons out any speed variations.

I am using EAC , and is nice, and rip process is very slow compared to some other software.
But I don't care about the speed instead of quality.
I am using cheap LG cd-r burner, and also cheap blank CD's, like e-proformance, which now is un available, but was one of my favorite, Verbatim (data), also Tried with Maxell ( for music)- gold.
So what is your favorite blank cd-r for music purposes??
from the cheap class and burned with cheap CD-r rom?

Re: Best Clarity CD-R for burning mus

sandyK said:
fredex
Mobile Fidelity says the opposite on the link that Peter Daniel posted.
SandyK

Yes I read that with interest. It is at odds with my measured results here on my burner and not using their disks. I used to do x1 burning until measurements changed my mind, Mooly has had the same experience to me also using real measurements.
This is the problem with blanket statements, I am not saying that burning at higher speeds will always give less errors because I don't know. Their disks could give me opposite results I don't know.

i think there are differences in the burners that are more important than the differences between good CDRs.

If you can't measure the disks you produce and are deciding on the best media and speed, this is what I have found. The copied disk that sounds brighter / more details / more exciting is the one with the most errors.

The attached quote is from MAM-A about their gold CD-Rs

"3. What are the ideal record speeds for gold media?

Lora told us: "Our gold DVD-Rs are indicated to write at a top speed of 8X, but we think 4X is ideal. Since gold is not as reflective of a metal as compared to silver, the dark organic dye used for all recordable DVDs does not allow for good performance at 16X. Gold CD-Rs are made with Mitsui's patented Phthalocyanine dye, which is translucent, therefore allows the gold reflective metal layer to perform at top speeds of 52X."

Visit our Gold CD-R, DVD-R and DVD+R pages for complete product information."

On the surface, at least, MAM-A, Mobile Fidelity, and Kodak, all appear to use similar technology from Mitsui and "burst" burning.
Kodak is also reported to have an extra protective layer.
SandyK

P.S. My Pioneer burners will not let me burn at 1 x either.

Peter Daniel said:
You will be directed to EAC download sites after clicking Download under Resources (left side of a page)

then

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/

O.K. I down-loaded the EAC and after selecting run, it is given me these options that are already checked with green arrows(EAC,CDRDAO,FLAC,AccurateRip) So, do I leave them all checked or some of them?:confused:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
sandyK said:

<snip>

On the surface, at least, MAM-A, Mobile Fidelity, and Kodak, all appear to use similar technology from Mitsui and "burst" burning.
Kodak is also reported to have an extra protective layer.
SandyK

P.S. My Pioneer burners will not let me burn at 1 x either.

I have used the premium quality Kodak CD-R with good results in the past.

FWIW I would be very suspicious of the marketing clap-trap on the MOFI site. Last time I checked they were not manufacturing their own media, and this all sounds suspiciously like marketing techno-babble IMHO. How on earth do you measure the jitter on a blank CD-R - presumably one must first record on it, and then measure the BLER of the recorded media having done so, but this is not clearly spelled out. I suspect any reputable media manufacturer already has rigorous QC procedures in place and this is just adding unnecessary steps and expense to the product if true as stated.

I have had one or two reputable brand CD-R disks fail over the last 10 yrs of the hundreds I have used. Cheap store brand are another issue altogether, the track record here is about 20% failure rate, but mostly in automotive playback where incidentally I have yet to see a reputable brand fail.

gainphile said:
Also the practice of extracting CD (16/44.1) then upsampling to 24/96 only to burn to CD again, what is the benefit?

That appears to be pointless. If you're burning to CD, it'll have to be converted back to 16/44, so there is going to be a slight amount of degradation from resampling it twice.

Now, if you were going to burn it to a DVD audio format, IIRC those expect 48k and allow greater bit depths. So, you'd have to resample CD audio to 24/48 or 24/96.

When I burn audio CDs, I don't worry much about what the media is as long as they verify perfectly after burning. But, for archival purposes I'll almost always save stuff onto DVD-R as WAV and/or some lossless formate like FLAC or APE.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.