Best 3" hi-fi high efficiency full range driver for line array P.A.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use 6.5" coaxials. They have higher efficiency, and lower Fs, so I cover reliably starting from 60 Hz without EQ, and from 40 Hz EQed. No scary on papers comb filter effect from 3-4 meters that is closer than first rows.

The problem with sticks on boomboxes is, boomboxes radiate all around, while sticks create beams. The result is almost like from traditional boomboxes with horns, when first rows feel bass by bellies, but last rows hear shrill sounds only.

To cover bigger areas I use 2 or 3 pairs of such arrays, installing on different heights from the floor, and oriented 30 degrees to each other. Such a way their summary length for lowest frequenciers is big enough, so they better match dispersion of midbass and higher frequencies.

https://youtu.be/F9gNkHotqpA

The PSC2.400d linked to by gkh look perfect. 400w into the bass and 400w into the top. The system is mono right? Any plans to expand the tops to stereo in the future?

If 380 Euros (more after shipping and tax to the US I guess) is too much for the amp there are more affordable options though. The MiniDSP at $80 could be combined with any non-DSP enabled amp and could drive your costs below $200, but wouldn't be anything like as neat and integrated as the plate.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out

Last edited:
Only issue you may run into with the plate amp is if your bass driver is 8ohms, then it's only going to have 200w going into it. Maybe 250w, it depends how conservatively they've rated the output.

Your Mackie 12" on a stick has a driver about the same efficiency as the 12hpl76, but it puts 1000w into it. So if you're getting 400/500w of amplification you'll only be 3dB down on what you have currently, but an 8ohm driver will take you 6dB down.

That's exactly right What I really need to solve now is the light and powerful dsp amp to build in the woofer. I can't quite find one that supplies light weight high rms power and dsp for crossover and the eq this will undoubtedly require. Thanks all!!!

Not very familiar with the PA solutions, but Crown maybe?

I'm using most of the time miniDSP and ICEpower amplifiers... Basically, you'd need a miniDSP 2x4 and probably a 700AS2 + (2) 300AC hangers.

BTW, i just ordered the new ''HD'', mainly for the inputs flexibility.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

Small compact standalone unit, always satisfied with them for little projects that do not require all-out solutions (like 2-way speakers).

also, if that can help anyhow, i do have few icepower modules left available for sale. Assuming you can DIY a little ;-)

P-Audio SN3-30N 30W 3" Loudspeaker Driver

The best high efficiency 3" full range that I know of. I'm not sure what the deal is with Blue-Aran not selling them

SICA 2,5 H 0,8 SL 2,5" 30W Studio Monitor speaker 8 Ohm

They're designed as studio monitor speakers and they sound like it in my experience. I've trialled the 3FE25 also and there's no comparison with the Sica, but like I said it's a couple of dB less efficient i.
I bet those are the ones Bose uses and that is why they are hidden!

Aren’t you describing the Hypex plate amps?

dave
Thanks Dave, I will look. Meanwhile here is a pic of the 1.0 version I used tonight next to my little "reference" speakers☺

Attachments

• 1502948894165-1927862834.jpg
    1502948894165-1927862834.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 221
I bet those are the ones Bose uses and that is why they are hidden!
Your instinct is uncannily accurate Pete!

They started stocking those drivers in 2014, and I started a thread on another forum speculating (through overlaying published frequency response plots) that they were the key driver in the popular 'Minirig' portable speaker (Minirigs Speakers | Portable Bluetooth Speakers UK Portable Bluetooth Speakers UK)

New P Audio 3 inch neo driver - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

If you want to know exactly why they removed them you'd probably need to ask them though.

Your instinct is uncannily accurate Pete!

They started stocking those drivers in 2014, and I started a thread on another forum speculating (through overlaying published frequency response plots) that they were the key driver in the popular 'Minirig' portable speaker (Minirigs Speakers | Portable Bluetooth Speakers UK Portable Bluetooth Speakers UK)

New P Audio 3 inch neo driver - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

If you want to know exactly why they removed them you'd probably need to ask them though.
Oh it's not hard to speculate there! Those people at B### are such bholes! They come up with these obvious ideas using the available tech, herald it as a "breakthrough" obfuscate the hell of the simple ideas then sell it to men who are scared either of their wives, large speakers or both.

In short they are basically predatory in general. Ha! not suprised at all!.

I think I will now take a pic of what my woman looks at everyday here including the new "little" PA hehe.......☺

Attachments

• 1502950286653-1585800404.jpg
    1502950286653-1585800404.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 203
The Minirig isn't a Bose product and I wouldn't describe them in that way at all. Small British company, modest and grounded, that makes a couple of products and they're vey open about their tech on the whole. (DIY community grown product, basically, but now quite a commercial success and a well deserved one imo)\

Edit: It's not exactly relevant to audio but in terms of small British companies having their product designs ripped off, there was a place in England that made these fantastic little wooden 3D O's and X's puzzle games, my mum had one and lost some of the pieces so she called them up - they picked up the phone but turned out they'd gone out of business years ago because a Chinese factory took their design and just cloned it and flooded the market with them at a knocked down price.

So it's not always unreasonable for businesses - especially ones that rely on basically one product - take steps to protect their interests, assuming that is what's happened.

Last edited:
I have always noticed that P.Audios products seemed strangely advanced for the price, or for that matter any price. This started when I was looking at compression drivers. Apparently they are oem for everyone and simply slip branded product out the door as quietly as possw while still making a buck. Fine with me I like competition.

The Minirig isn't a Bose product and I wouldn't describe them in that way at all. Small British company, modest and grounded, that makes a couple of products and they're very open about their tech on the whole. (DIY community grown product, basically, but now quite a commercials success and a well deserved one imo)
I am sure they are, I think its possible those are also what B is using (first) and minirig is also using them. I admit I have no love for the B people.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.