Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Hi Liliya,

The installation instruction says: solder row B of SMD connector to pads of IC1 (B1 = pad28 ... B13 = pad16). Row A is connected to pads 1-10 via a pin header.

Pin 3 of IC1 is a not connected pin. So it doesn't matter if you destroyed this pad on DSP board but 9V must be connected with A3 of SMD connector.

Regards, Frank

ERNI colnnector orientation

Oettle

Thank you for answering me.

The orientation of the ERNI female connector is very important. In your installation instructions I can not see that you said anything about this.

From Maas I got an message, and from this message I came to this conclusion:

Row B on the female connector has an edge on both sides[/SIZE]

Is is correct??

Eivind Stillingen, Norway

Hi Liliya,

Please read installation instruction 4b+d.
Row A and B ist printed on the sides of the (female) connecor.
You can also see the edge on the picture of post 1419 you mentioned. It is on the left side (row B).
There is only one possible way to install the SRC mod otherwise it would overlap with the ROM and front-panel connector.
It's not such complicated.

Regards, Frank

Hi miksin,

I had a short look at this Peavey VCX 26 crossover. I'm still wondering why it should be better than the DCX2496. It supports the same 48dB IIR filters. The internal sample rate is 48 kHz (DCX = 96 kHz) and the DACs provide a dynamic rage of 105dB (DCX = 120dB). I assume the VCX48 is the same device with 4 inputs and 8 outputs.
So for me it's hard to find anything what is better but a lot what is worse.

Frank
I removed the VReg and replaced the 7805 and the DCX is working again. The sound is not as clean, but it is working. Running the tests for the VReg removed from the DSP board, using a 9V battery show the correct voltages at the various pins. Measuring the output pin before removing from the DSP board showed only 3.3V, while the input was 8.9V. On the DSP board, the 7805 shows 5.1V.
The resistance on the SST505 diode (Q1) seemed a bit high on the VReg board. It had originally measure ~550 ohms, off the board, in the direction of passing the current from anode to cathode and almost no resistance from the anode to the shorted leg. Off the VReg board it now measures in excess of 1M ohms from any post to any post. I don't know if this is the only problem, but it would seem to be at least part of the problem. Any recommendations other than replace the diode?

Todd

Jan
How about adding the ability to decode each of the channels in a 5.1 digital input? The channels decoded would need to be selectable. That way a DCX or multiple DCXs could be used to convert the digital output from a surround source and feed amplifiers for the whole surround system. This setup would provide better overall sound than feeding the DCX with analog input.

Todd

janneman said:
Pfff! Finished my linear replacement supply today.
So, now my DCX2496 has my active output/volume control board, Frank's digital input and +5V analog reg mods, and the replacement linear supply. And each step was an improvement. So, what should I do next ;) ?

Jan Didden

Now go and do some shootout with a DEQX and see who's ego is hurt more, yours with all the mid night oil poured in or his with a busted wallet. :smash:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
palmergt said:
Jan
How about adding the ability to decode each of the channels in a 5.1 digital input? The channels decoded would need to be selectable. That way a DCX or multiple DCXs could be used to convert the digital output from a surround source and feed amplifiers for the whole surround system. This setup would provide better overall sound than feeding the DCX with analog input.

Todd

You know, this is a VERY good idea. I'm not familiar with the surround digital format, but I guess there are decoding chips for that? Hmmm, I need to read up....

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Will said:

Oops
:bigeyes:

Anyways it'll be very insightful to share and describe some sonic discrepancy between both equipments. It'll really encourage more builders to go fix their DCXes if it really matters that much.

cheers

Well, the DEQX obviously has a lot of functions the DCX doesn't have, like measuring and correcting speakers as well as the room. It has more DSP power and can do very steep filters like 300dB/octave if you would want that, while the DCX is limited to the standard ranges (Bessel, Butterworth, L-R, up to 48dB/octave IIRC).

But as far as sound quality is concerned, with the heavily modified DCX, there is little difference, certainly not enough to justify the price difference (YMMV of course). But, as I said, you pay for the functionalities.

Jan Didden

Jan, what is the setup you are using with your DCX? Active 2 way or 3 way etc - details of amps and loudspeaker units if you are willing to share, etc.

Have you had a chance to compare the sound of the DCX as a stereo DAC (configured flat) against some other good sounding CD or DAC?

I have some similar and some exact same mods as you have and I also feel that the sound has improved during all this, but as I have now been running my DCX with 2 way active filtered loudspeakers it is very hard to have a reference against what to comapre. So my personal goal is now to get the exact same crossover I have in DCX replicated in with passive components and then to fist of all have ability to compare DCX version of active cross against passive one with exact same tranfer function. The other plus of owning a passive cross also is of course ability to listen to DCX as stereo DAC and put it up against some of the best ones I can find here in Estonia.

I decided to buy a digital USB Oscilloscope / with AWG signal generator from tiepie.nl - it started coming my way today. When I get it I will surely poke around inside DCX as I have wanted to "see above 45kHz" for a long time. It would be really interesting to see what is going on on power supply lines and also what sort of "crap" the DAC outputs in addition to audio signal. All this can hopefully lead to some new tweak ideas also ;)

Ergo

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ergo said:
Jan, what is the setup you are using with your DCX? Active 2 way or 3 way etc - details of amps and loudspeaker units if you are willing to share, etc.

Have you had a chance to compare the sound of the DCX as a stereo DAC (configured flat) against some other good sounding CD or DAC?
[snip]Ergo

I have been using the DCX and the DEQX as a 'flat' DAC with a pair of Martin Logan Sequell II's. Very, very little difference between the two, I'm not even sure I am imagining it or not. Then I used the speaker/room correction on the DEQX and tried to copy the corrections manually to the DCX, but that wasn't a succes. The two corrections were too differently sounding.
But judged just as a DAC the DCX did pretty well.

Another use was with a pair of diy two-ways each with 4*50mm Jordans for mid-high and each with 2*150mm Jordans for low. So, using both DCX and DEQX as a two-way xover. Again, very little qualitively difference between the two but different 'coloration' I guess due to different filter characteristics.

Botom line: the two have different functionalities but the heavily modded DCX can certainly keep its place with a unit 10 times its cost....

ergo said:
[snip]I decided to buy a digital USB Oscilloscope / with AWG signal generator from tiepie.nl - it started coming my way today. When I get it I will surely poke around inside DCX as I have wanted to "see above 45kHz" for a long time. It would be really interesting to see what is going on on power supply lines and also what sort of "crap" the DAC outputs in addition to audio signal. All this can hopefully lead to some new tweak ideas also ;)

Ergo

Sounds like the HS3 that I bought last year ;)
Nice piece of kit but needs some getting used too. I wasn't overwhelmed by the AWG though. Let me know what you find.

Jan Didden

Frank
It looks like the problem was a bad solder point. After replacing the VReg with the 7805 and then resoldering the VReg into the DCX, the system is working fine. I did notice when resoldering the VReg to the DSP board, that the connectivity of the output connection was not consistent. With extra care in soldering, the connection of the output pin was made to be consistent. That may have been involved in the original problem.

For what its worth, here are the voltage values you requested.

BC517 pin 1 pin 2 pin 3 VReg Input VReg Output
Battery 9.4V 6.9V 5.8V 9.4V 5.8V
in DCX - no load 8.6V 7.0V 5.9V 8.9V 5.7V
in DCX - load 8.6V 7.0V 5.9V 8.9V 5.7V

I don't understand the observed change in the resistance of the SST505 diode, perhaps its a breakin effect. However, its apparent the VReg is working now. I guess I have a lot to learn. Thank you for your trouble shooting help.

Todd