Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
4real said:
Yes it does. In fact I guess it used the same (rather lousy) ASRC: CS8420. I guess the RME DAC will be better of without it...
OK... nice to know.

I have not tested any other upsampler than the software upsampler in Foobar, but I cant hear any difference between those two...

My main reason for upsampling is that I run a PC-based X-over (the ShinOBIWAN thing). It sound better with 96 kHz sample rate than 44.1.

Lately my attention has been drawn to several room correction and active x-over options available. I noticed the DCX-2496 and DEQ-2496 from Behringer and also the DEQX which has both features incorporated in a single unit.

The only limitation both brands have is that the x-over outputs are limited to 3 and I want to use a 4-way active x-over for my current speakers (Infinity Renaissance 90). Before going through the complete thread I would appreciate it if someone can point me to a unit which offers the possibilities for a 4-way digital x-over combined with room-correction. Of course it would be possible with both brands, but adding another unit for just one extra x-over is too expensive though.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response. As I have not completely read or studied the user manual, I'm not sure if what you are suggesting is possible. I'm also not familiar with the possibilities the software of the DCX-2496 offers.

Maybe it is possible or there is someone has been able to use this unit in combination with a 4-way x-over speaker system?

courage said:
Lately my attention has been drawn to several room correction and active x-over options available. I noticed the DCX-2496 and DEQ-2496 from Behringer and also the DEQX which has both features incorporated in a single unit.

The only limitation both brands have is that the x-over outputs are limited to 3 and I want to use a 4-way active x-over for my current speakers (Infinity Renaissance 90). Before going through the complete thread I would appreciate it if someone can point me to a unit which offers the possibilities for a 4-way digital x-over combined with room-correction. Of course it would be possible with both brands, but adding another unit for just one extra x-over is too expensive though.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Courage, I'm also about to move away from the DCX (I find it waaay to noisy stock) to a 4x8 capable unit.

Since I use DriveRack 260's on the the other channels, I'll be going with a DriveRack 4820 (a screen-less 4800, as I use the PC for all setup).

The DR 4800 series is superb, pricey, but excellent SQ and rock-solid stability. It will give you up to 4 channels of input and 8 of output, asignable any wich way.
Digital ins and outs at up 96 and supports wordclock input as well (as has been discussed above, clock syncs are important when stringing together digital devices).

Installation SCR/clock board

Oettle

From the picture on post 1419 it is very difficult to find out the orientation how to solder the ERNI connector instead of IC 1. There is a small edge on the connector. Shall I orientate the egde as row A or B??

When I desoldered IC1 I had an acccident with leg number 3(row A).

My hope now is, what I assume, it is possible to go directly to the SCR/clock board with 9 volt wire from IC 7??

Regards

Eivind Stillingen, Norway

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Brett said:
Start with the best materials, rather than use something lesser and try to "fix" it by some other technique.

I'm with you on that one, for sure! It's amazing how much difference the right driver can make. Differences that seem nigh impossible with EQ.

I'm not convinced about room correction as it seems to me that it corrects for one point in space. So if you move your head, some of the benefit goes.

How much goes should be system dependant.

I heard some very good room EQ at the past RMAF show in Denver. They had set a few "focus" spots around the room that could be switched with the push of a button. When you were in the focus, the sound was better. But being out of it wasn't so bad. The room overall sounded very nice. No idea how the system sounded sans EQ. But all those hotel rooms did have an big 80Hz bump, it was not noticeable in the EQ'd room. Along with other benefits. I enjoyed the system.

Yes, I'm here to bother you guys in this thread, too.
Just bought a new DCX to play with. Used one for years in live pro sound ('cause it was cheap) but didn't know it could be "HiFi". ;)

SRC/ Clock and VReg upgrades to DCX2496

I recently added Frank Oettle's SRC/Clock and VReg upgrades to my DCX2496. A hugh impr ovement in sounds clarity and definition. The SRC/Clock was installed first and run for about an hour with no problems. The VReg upgrade was then made, which provided a little more upgrade in clarity. However, after about 45 mins of fine listening, a very loud background hum began. The music was still audible, but is being mostly covered by the loud hum. Any ideas what I should check first? I'm new to audio circuits and am not sure how to trouble shoot. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Peavey has AES/EBU input, works ok with almost all S/PDIF-outs.
As long as you can live with that:D
A little issue with VSX 26 is that it is always not compeletely happy with unbalanced drive.

NO, have not compared DCX against VSX directly.
A couple years ago compared DCX with a much more expensive competitor, which I bought.

Now, this really cheap Peavey sounded to me a lot better that my previous XO, which happened to be very much more expensive than this Peavey just a couple years ago.
Things go on, and lookin' inside that VSX I see only crappy analogue outputs, very poor PS and so on,you name it.
Nothing special but newer generation floating point 32bitprocessors, and -hopefully- thus better designed filters.

I dunno, might be it's just me, and I might be wrong as well.
Go listen.

Hi palmergt,

I guess something with your voltage regulator is wrong. Please check voltages. Input voltage should be about 9 volts and output voltage about 5 volts!
To double-check whether the reason is the Vreg go one step back and assemble the original 7805. Please look out directions!!!

If you want to improve PSSR and not simply replace something you should stay with the Vreg.

Regards, Frank