Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

So I listened to my DCX with the Selectronic outputboard,and sure it was an improvement but not as much as I thought it would be.
If I compare it to DEQ:s analog output wich I think is more open and transparent.But lets hope the rest of the mods will open up things,on to change the PSU and regulators,the digital input board...:)

Frank's mods look great.

I employ a chain of SRC2496 + DEQ2496 + DCX2496, performing different tasks. The SRC upsamples, the DEQ does room correction and the DCX does driver integration, mostly in the digital domain, until DCX output.

Can the Vreg and Clock be used in ALL these processors ?

The SRC/clock mod replaces a CS8420 which is used in DCX but not DEQ. I'm not aware which SRC chip is used in the SRC.

The Vreg replaces a 7805. There are two in the DCX (one for ADCs and one for DACs) and one in the DEQ and I assume there is at least one in the SRC. Max output current is 260 mA which is sufficient for the DCX and DEQ replacements.

Regards, Frank

SPDIF INPUTS

any major differences between Franks mod and this one?

http://www.selectronic.fr/dcx2496_US.asp#20

I will be using spdif and analog inputs and not sure how either kit will function with selectable inputs..

I cannot find how Franks mods handle the 75 ohm termination of the SPDIF

I was going to get Jans output kit and use the a/b for my analog stereo inputs and
wire a coax/rca jack in place of input C for my digital input.

HELP?

There are some differences:

1. Low jitter is relative! My mod has a 2.6ps @10Hz-20MHz clock!
2. Even the best clock hasn't low jitter without a high PSRR and low noise supply! At least something like this: http://www.tentlabs.com/Components/XO/index.html
3. Jitter depends on cable length (grounding, hum, noise, ...). 1ps is an equivalent of 1000 GHz!
4. Jitter performance is improved when PLL, SRC and DACs work synchronous with the same clock.
5. PLL and SRC work more accurate with high PSRR and low noise supply.

To modify S/PDIF input termination replace R15 (110 ohm) on DSP board.

There is NO difference regarding input selection. It's possible to use input channel C for digital input (coaxial cable from connector to transformer TR1 on DSP board).

Regards, Frank

I'm hoping to get a second hand DCX soon :)

I want to modify it one thing at a time. I actually want to use it as a pre-amp, so it will need some more inputs, and a volume control. I know that there are a few kits out there, but most of them I don't like or they are to expensive... So, I guess, I'm going to experiment on it on my own.

I guess at first I'll be going to measure the stock unit using RMAA and maybe a few other tools and see what that is going to give me.

Then I guess the PSU will be the first thing om my list. For those there are some rather nice kits available, and I might just go for one of them...