Balanced PCM1704 PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Try David Broadhurst (1704 balanced DAC)

Guys -

I haven't talked to him recently, but David Broadhurst developed a balanced 1704 DAC with a FIFO buffer front end and a discrete JFET output stage. Never published on the web, to my knowledge. If someone was willing to do the legwork for him, he might be willing to publish it (or allow someone else to produce the PCBs with some consideration to him.) It's done, and it's a great design. Just a thought.

Paul

Re: Try David Broadhurst (1704 balanced DAC)

pkpickard said:

I haven't talked to him recently, but David Broadhurst developed a balanced 1704 DAC with a FIFO buffer front end and a discrete JFET output stage. Never published on the web, to my knowledge. If someone was willing to do the legwork for him, he might be willing to publish it (or allow someone else to produce the PCBs with some consideration to him.) It's done, and it's a great design. Just a thought.

Interesting. Some days ago I did a search looking for some way to see his designs but the URLs seemed to be down.

It would be great to have an affordable option for a 1704 based design.

Carlos

Yes, Arne.......I know you would like one.

But:

You are going to raise the cost of each channel by around $40, just to enrich TI. (Someone on another forum actually accused me of working for them!) And what do you get for $40/channel?

Well, 3 dB increase in S/R ratio. Is it worth it? The low-level linearity of those chips isn't as good as I would like. Why spend $80+ in the unlikely event that some of that will also cancel out.

Nope........for my money, I would rather make differential I/V thingie. Yeah, I know..........everyone is waiting on me to come up with one. When I have the need for one in my system, it will happen. Not before then.

Jocko

There would be a bigger market for a pcb that could be used through the use of jumpers to serve several mentality’s for example, single 1704 per channel, 2 x parallel 1704’s per channel or through jumpers on the invert pins run balanced 1704’s this would give anybody interested the option / opportunity to try out different approaches on one pcb.

It would probably be easier to leave out the I/V stage leaving this for the builder to decide the approach that they feel is best.

Worth considering??:apathic:

mark stones said:
There would be a bigger market for a pcb that could be used through the use of jumpers to serve several mentality’s for example, single 1704 per channel, 2 x parallel 1704’s per channel or through jumpers on the invert pins run balanced 1704’s this would give anybody interested the option / opportunity to try out different approaches on one pcb.

It would probably be easier to leave out the I/V stage leaving this for the builder to decide the approach that they feel is best.

Worth considering??:apathic:
My design (posted on first page) has just that, a header to switch the DAC's into inverted mode or not and also headers to sit another 2 dacs stacked on top to run parallel/ballanced, i've just got the basic opamp i/v stage on there as well as it doesnt take much room and with opa627's it doesnt do that bad a job but the option is there to tap into the current directly out of the DAC too

hagtech said:
What if the circuit board was all surface mount, with the PCM1704's being the easiest parts to solder? Would that be acceptable?

jh

Did you mean the pcm1704's would be the hardest parts?

I think that you would have a hard time finding more difficult parts in a Dac design.

I for one prefer SMT it’s much quicker to build.:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.